HOW LONG DOES THE POWER LAST IN A CLASS C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airazor

I will be going full time in the spring 2015 and need to know a few things. I will mainly be boondocking about 90% of the time and I have a pretty steep power requirement for this to work.

I will be running:
1) Laptop for 8-12/hrs/day (work/entertainment)
2) RV lights (LED)
3) A Box fan 8/hrs/day (to keep cool)
4) Water pump (For shower)

How many hours/days can I go before I have to charge my batteries?

Is this even possible? I see most new RV's with huge flat screen TV's and Microwaves and wonder how long the juice lasts? Do these riggs have the TV's but they only last 3 hours a day? Or do they run the tvs then crank the genny on to watch a movie (kinda silly). OR does the power last long enough for a few days on their battery systems?

I am just trying to get a feel for how long my stuff will run in order for me to work and be comfortable while boondocking. I know about power inverters and solar (which I will be installing).

Basically I just need some general thoughts on the question

Thanks! :)

A class C generally doesn't have the battery capacity of a class A, but if you can fit at least 4 6V batteries in, you will probably get about 1-2 days of use with that load.  You will need a generator to recharge the batteries and to run any heavier loads, like a microwave oven or air conditioner.  The computer and box fan will require an inverter.

The thing that I think most people do is underestimate the amount of power they actually use each day. You've made a list of things you expect to use power on. I'd ask, how will you make coffee/tea/cocoa each morning? How will you keep your food cold? Will you need heat at any time? Will you use a microwave? Wash dishes? All of these things need some power also unless you're living a very unique spartan lifestyle.

Also I'd say take a really close look at how long it will take your generator to recharge your battery bank. Look at your charger, the amps delivered. If it is a 3 stage you'll find it is more efficient to charge for a shorter time 2 times a day than one long cycle every other day. This too depends on how much solar power you can develop and how many cloudy days you experience.

You'll either be very savy on electric use by the end of the first month or incredibly frustrated.

Ken

Most RV's are designed to last the night with the furnace and minimal use of other power. (the blower is a power hog).

And that has been my experience as well.. Of course if you upgrade the batteries that improves, if you go with DEEP CYCLE as opposed to MARINE/deep cycle the batteries last longer (GC-2 six volt is DEEP CYCLE),  But the only way to tell how long the batteries will last is to test them in the field.

And as they age (MARINE/deep cycle will age faster in this type of service) they do not last as long.

Finally, Doubling your total amp-hours MORE THAN doubles the run time.  I can never recall the proper spelling of the name for this effect (Starts with a P, Plunket or something like that) but I do understand why it happens.

The typical Class C has only one or two batteries, and not large ones either.  Often there is a single Group 24 marine type battery, which only provides about 40-45 amp-hours of 12v power.  With the loads you described, you will be charging batteries every day, probably each morning for 30 minutes and again in the evening. Maybe even more, since you will be running the inverter all day long to power the laptop. Solar can offset that some, if the panel(s) are large and you are parked in full sun. They little 18-25 watt panels won't contribute enough to notice, though. You need 80 watts or more to achieve much.

Most C's do not have space to install more or larger batteries either. What is the year/make/model of the coach?

Things like the water pump and power to circuit boards in the fridge, water heater, etc. are very tiny consumers, but anything that runs off the inverter gobbles it. Lighting is also a fairly large consumer of battery amps.

Why power a laptop from an inverter?  There are auto adapters that would allow you to plug it into a cigarette lighter.  More efficient.  Less Expensive than adding a coach battery.

It may also be more efficient to run the laptop on it's own battery until it gets low and then plug it in only until it's fully charged.

Solar panels will help, but refrigerator, etc all drain the batteries.  Even two deep cells will go down in a day or two.  Figure on a generator.  And don't forget to put a solar charger on the engine battery.  There are things that run 24/7 and can run your motor battery down.

Depends on how you run things...

I added a small hand pump to the kitchen sink that gives me all the water I need....  I never run the pump (no electricity)...  LED lights buy me days....  Fridge pure propane....  Stove pure propane...  small LED tv with built in DVD for the kids....  Small laptop that powers direct of 12volt...  only 2 small house batteries goes 4-5days which is the longest I have gone without moving....

My furnace will be replaced with either a diesel boat heater or older propane convection furnace so no power needed.... 

The reason RVs use so much power is they are poorly insulated, poorly designed unless you plug in to 50amp service... 

Back
Top Bottom