Resetting the Furnace or Are We Really That Stupid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seb

So despite my very best efforts to avoid freezing temperatures for the rest of my life, the weather here in Indio, CA got down to 29 F last night.  At that temperature, the twin heat pumps on top of the MH will lock themselves out of heat mode.  Understandable since heat pumps are useless below 35 F or so.  I decided to check the Suburban gas furnace before dark yesterday.  Sure enough, it failed to fire or even turn on the fan. After a quick search through the voluminous but useless Winnebago owners manual and a web search of RVComfort.com, I discovered that there are no manuals for this product. There are however numerous references to servicing the unit by an authorized rep.
Being of the engineering sort, I immediately removed the outside rear panel and discovered a nifty little on/off switch that, when toggled between off and on, caused the Suburban model SHD-2542Q to immediately fire up and make everything toasty warm.
Question 1:  Is there a source for the Suburban service manual?
Question 2:  (rhetoric only, answer not necessary) Are we really too stupid to have this manual?
Question 3:  Someone please advise where to go in the Continental US that actually NEVER freezes?

Thanks for the feedback.  First link is only the one page obligatory sheet that goes with the MH.  Doesn't actually say anything. In fact, it is remarkably absent any inormation.  Second link doesn't have the SHD service manual.  Have not been able to locate the service manual without paying for it.  I do not like subscribing to these so-called free download sites.

seb said:
Question 1:  Is there a source for the Suburban service manual?
Question 2:  (rhetoric only, answer not necessary) Are we really too stupid to have this manual?
Question 3:  Someone please advise where to go in the Continental US that actually NEVER freezes?
1. John Hilleys link above is the proper link to the 12 page manual for the furnace as well as a lot of others.
2. Maybe? :)
3.  Where I live in Southern Florida.

As to your question " are we too stupid " , some people yes.

As a retired maintenance technician, I do however think all non-propriety information should be available. Let the stupid ones just do their thing.

John Hilley's link indeed does produce a manual.  However, it is not a service manual. Please read this thing and then explain to me what is actually in the 12 pages or so. 
So, the indications are, at this point, that we are too stupid.  At least some of us. 
Sounds like I need to add Florida to my winter destination list.

I am with Yolo with southern Florida.  Last winter, we were in Dallas, suffering through yet another arctic blast with an ice storm, looked at each other, and said, we are out of here.  We came down in February during another Arctic blast, worked our way south down the Gulf Coast until we found the cheapest place and warmest place to live, being Charlotte Harbor area (Sarasota/Fort Myers). 

According to the locals, just never drops to freezing here.  While the people in Texas are forecast to have freezing temps down near the Rio Grand valley, and while people in the north are looking up to Zero, lows here will be in the mid 50's

I find it interesting that here I am in GA (50 miles NORTH of FL) and we had a low last night around 50.
Texas (Farther south) Icy roads causing traffic accidents.

Hey, there is a reason (Actually 2) that I'm happy the engine blew in Southern GA not Michigan.  That's one.

The other is my daughter 21 and a half miles from where I am parked.

Charlotte Harbor area (Sarasota/Fort Myers)....According to the locals, just never drops to freezing here.

Ha!  I've been in my in-law's Sarasota driveway watching snow fall!  We were glad we were going north after that visit because we had parkas and wore them in Sarasota.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom