Dumb and Dumber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
"File this under "Dumb and Dumber": A man driving a semi-truck attempted to
enter Utah's Zion National Park via the Mount Carmel tunnel at 2:00 a.m.,
December 22. While the access is well marked, warning that the tunnel has
size restrictions, the man pressed on ahead - making it all the way to the
tunnel's last turn at the west end, where the rig quickly stopped - wedged
in the tunnel. Never mind - the truck scraped its way through the rest of
the mile-long journey, leaving scrape marks on the tunnel's roof. The driver
had to climb up above the tunnel to get a clear cell signal to call for
help. Charges pending."

More info and a picture here from The Salt Lake Tribune:  Semi Truck Temporarily Stuck Inside Historic Zion Park Tunnel

The fool didn't even run down the center of the tunnel, instead he wedged the trailer where the curved ceiling arches downward towards the side wall.  Mechanics had to release air from the trailer system, collapsing the air bags and reducing it's height enough to let it drive out.

Park staff is inspecting the tunnel for damage.

Some people should not drive.. Have you seen the waterfall stop sign  they have in one overpass. If an overheight rig approaches it projects a stop sign that is a good 10 feet tall all across the road..  Still.. You can imagine I'm sure.

Seems to me that he should of let some of the air out of his tires and got a faster start before entering the tunnel.  ;)

When we were there last there was staff that prevented larger vehicles from entering.  Those that were big but not too big could pay a fee to have traffic restricted to one way so they could go down the center of the tunnel.

On I35E north of Dallas, there are two low bridges.  One got hit so often, when an 18-wheeler with an oversized load would get in the right (lower clearance ) lane, TxDOT finally had to jack up the bridge.  The other keeps getting hit, just not as often.  Drivers just don't pay attention. 

Aw, c'mon, guys.  The driver just got trapped the way more than one of us have in the past - "The driver stated that he was new to the area, that his GPS led him on the route,"  Gypsy has lured many to their death - or at least, their embarrassment. :-[

We had one today. An over height load got jammed under an overpass on 99, Canadian side of I-5. The goof told police he had hit the previous one but managed to clear so kept going. ??? He got an immediate seven month suspension and the truck impounded which is only the start before court, fines, and lawsuits.

In Battle Creek, Michigan there is one RailRoad overpass,,,, I'm not sure but I'm thinking 11 or 11'6",, The local Garbage company has a rule.. ANYONE caught driving ANY company vehicle under that bridge gets a new job.... Somewhere else.  Even the company sedans.

I recall watching one of those mobile feed grinder trucks that companies like Farm Bureau sometimes that tried to go under the bridge... He made it, but he was about six inches shorter afterwards... A Ready Mix truck was not so lucky. 

Truck I was in was only about 8'. So we had no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom