Should my wife and I become full time RVers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trich1

Hello all I am just trying to get your guys take on if my wife and I should full time rv?

We are both 29 years old and debt free. I work for a company that allows me to move as much as I want. I would be with the same company so insurance and consistent pay is no big deal. When my wife and I were 22 we were cross country team semi truck drivers for two years. So, we pretty much know what living in small places would be like. We would be buying an RV with cash. I would assume we would be staying in each location for six months to a year. The living areas would be all west of the Mississippi and we could choose to stay up north or down south. Children are not really in the mix for us right now so it would not be a factor. In the event we did have children we could always buy a house and settle down and use the rv for road trips. I have enjoyed owning a brick and mortar house before and am in a position to try RVing. My wife is almost more into this idea of living life in the road again then I am. Please let me know what you think good or bad thanks

P.S. I would assume we would do this for 5-10 years before buying a house again.

If you're only moving every six months then a Motor home is overkill. A travel trailer or fiver makes more sense in that situation. As to whether.  Why not? It might make for a fun life.

Ernie

It doesn't make much sense to use a motorized RV if you expect to have it sit (undriven) for 6-12 months a year. It's expensive and not healthy for the vehicle. A trailer is a more reasonable approach unless you plan to use it recreationally in between major moves. Even then, the trailer is likely to be less expensive.

If you only move every 6-12 months, it is practical to have the trailer professionally moved to the next site, saving you the need for a heavy duty tow vehicle.

However, if what you want is both a recreational vehicle and a home, a motorhome offers a lot of conveniences for travel.

Welcome aboard!

We lived on a sailboat for 6 1/2 years and loved it, fulltimed in our Horizon for a year and enjoyed that as well.  Like Ernie mentioned only moving twice a year doesn't make sense with a motorhome, they need to be used - let it sit and it will degrade.

I like your general idea, especially if you like to see different areas of the country and if you aren't tied down, either emotionally or otherwise to a place.  For me I like having my shop so I would not now be a good candidate for a nomadic lifestyle.

Other advice - go and do while you are young, there's never a better time.  Congratulations on being debt free - it's a very liberating feeling (we've been debt free for 20 years.)

Do you guys realize how envious of your position some of us are? (I'm sure I'm not the only one). Go for it guys!!!  My wife and I are thinning out our goods and working towards getting to be debt free so we can hit the road. The biggest regret is that we didn't start earlier in life.

If your job is portable, sure - why not?

Just make sure you have an exit plan - you're starting out young (good for you!) and life circumstances can change.  Stay out of debt and set aside some money each month for unexpected expenses, repairs, etc.  Or for a down payment on a fixed dwelling at some point.

I'd look towards a 5th wheel or trailer since you're looking to stay in one place for extended periods.  Motorhome drivetrains don't like to sit unused and will deteriorate if parked in one location for months at a time.  A pickup truck that can be used for local transportation while you're parked avoids this problem, or you can get a second small car and use it primarily for local transportation while also driving the pickup regularly.  When you move to another location one partner just drives the car and follows the RV. 

Since you have OTR driving experience, many people have had good luck buying a used Class 8 tractor and modifying it to tow a large 5th wheel trailer and be registered as a non-commercial RV.  It's an economical way to tow a large trailer and/or you can carry your small car on it.  There are numerous blogs and web sites describing how people have done this - do a Google search for HDT RV hauler.

If you're going to stay in one place for months at a time, you can usually get a high speed Internet connection from the local cable TV or phone company.  If you decide to move more frequently there are other mobile options from cellular phone companies and other providers that will let you access the Net while keeping the freedom to change locations.

I guess it's just the unknown of this lifestyle that makes it hard to leap into it. We are currently renting a house in western Nebraska where I work. Needless to say we need a change.

Thank you everyone for the replys. It's good to be apart of a community of people that have similar goal of really living life to the fullest.

Do it. The park we are in now has a young couple in their 20's no plans on kids anytime soon. They love the freedom to move about and see so much more than when you are stuck in a house. I agree to get a trailer or 5th wheel if you will be staying longer stretches in one place. We only have our motorhome and a pair of bikes, which works great for us since we will be moving every month or so. But we do have to start her up now and again to keep things lubed,

Of course the people on this forum are all lovers of the life and we probably all wish we could have done it sooner. We do and we are in our 40's. But now that we are living it, we can't imagine going back.

I think you should do it as well.  My husband and I are 46 and 48 and I am taking my job with me on the road.  I don't think there is a "right" age to have these experiences just lack of opportunity for most folks which thankfully you don't have to be worried about.  You never know what will happen in the future so Carpe Diem.  As far as motorhome versus trailer it's a pretty personal decision and you can certainly make your scenario work with either.

I agree with Ernie,, if you plan on parking the Rig in one spot for several months,  Go with a Trailer, either a TT or a 5ER, they do not mind sitting, other than tire rot not much bad happens and tire rot happens no matter what you do with it.

Motor homes, on the other hand,,, Really do not like to sit, sit, sit, in fact anything with a motor likes to be rolling, rolling, rolling down the highway (Electric motors do not count here).

Back when wife and I were your age, such freedom jobs, Internet, etc just was not available.  We would have jumped at the opportunity.

Tis gives you a chance to experience many areas, and help you decide where you ultimately would like to settle, if ever.

Go for it. 

Yeah, definitely go for it.
You'd  want to keep a permanent address if you can, even if you just say your renting from a friend or family member.
I say this because you're young and working, and it can be a very good tax situation if you look into & set it up properly.
Thought out well, you could be saving decent money in the long term, provided you stay within your budget.

Aside from that, full time living and working in a RVing situation can be so much more rewarding in terms of personal freedom and independence.

Back
Top Bottom