Leaving my Vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

74cuda

Hi
I bring a classic car into the USA every year for car shows and such, in a enclosed trailer, the car has never been inspected by US customs.I am thinking of leaving it in the USA until we return next year in the trailer in a storage yard.I do have some some questions.
1) I do know US customs have a 1 year rule with Canadian cars in the USA.The questions are!!  we clear in with US customs and back out with Canadian customs, now the next year we show up at US customs with out the trailer(car) how does US customs know the car never returned to Canada??? since it was never driven in
2)Has any one left a CDN car in the USA and a few years later took it back out ?? or has anyone left a RV in the USA for a few years only to bring it back and what happened.
3) If we have to take the car out in just under a year how long would it have to stay in Canada before it can return to the USA for another 364 days and does anyone no the fines if any if caught doing this.
I do have snowbird Friends who have left the RV in the USA for years but none have tried to bring it back into Canada
Thanking every one in advance for suggestions or answers

I don't have any solid answers for you, but want to welcome you to the RVForum.

It may be that Customs on either side doesn't track such things, but you run the risk that they may stumble onto it and suddenly you are at risk of large fines or even confiscation because you "imported" a vehicle illegally. Cause that's what your status is if you fail to remove the visiting vehicle as implicitly promised when you brought it in.

Hi Gary
That is my issue next year when we return to the USA next year(2016) we intentionally are going to enter the USA a couple weeks before we did this year just in case US customs question us on where is your trailer and car and invoke the 1 year law on us,this way we can hook up and return to Canada with the car and trailer then turn around and come right back into the USA to beat the 1 year fine or worse confiscation, that was part of the question on how long does a car have to be on Canadian soil before it can come back to the USA. I emailed US customs almost 4 months ago and got nothing back from them on the questions except for we are over whelmed with inquiry's and it could take 2-3 months for a answer well now its close to 4 months.I will wait and see if anyone can answer before I phone and sit on hold for hours.

You said the trailered car has never been inspected by Customs (which seems odd to me), so I'm inclined to agree they wouldn't know if it left or not. But you might run into an officer who is more alert to the vehicle import/export regulations. I have no experience to offer you on probabilities or penalties, but I do know that the Border Patrol officers have wide discretion to handle anything they deem suspicious.

I have one answer for you: Agent Murphy.. you knwo, of the Murphy's Law Murphys.

Murphy's law says as soon as you try that.... They are going to ask you to open the trailer for inspection.

And,, Well,,, Sitting here as I am with a blown engine in my motor home.. I'm a dedicated follower of Mrs. Murphy and her laws.

US customs have asked whats in the trailer and we have informed them just another question not a big deal one opened the side door and said nice car but that was it.  The Canadians Did a quick a search of the trailer a few years ago but that only took a couple minutes

You don't have to worry about the Canadian Customs side as long as the plates are current Canadian ones, many of which can be renewed yearly while you are back home, (and provided there is no actual inspection required for renewal!!).

Hi Stu yes thanks we do everything on line in Newfoundland.I am still looking into this. I might do the save the chance of any hassle and leave the unit in New Brunswick instead of towing it all the way home to Newfoundland and with the new ferry charges of slightly over $200.00 one way for just the trailer and pick it up on the way south next year.

Back
Top Bottom