Need a new *very small* microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjf7g

The one thing I couldn't get to work as we were camping in our new to us 1999 American Cruiser is the 2004 Tappan TM5030W microwave. It measures 17.5" wide, 8.875" high, and 12" deep. The hole for the microwave is 18.25" x 9.75" x 12" and there needs to be some room for the air to circulate. Has anyone bought a new microwave recently? If so, what did you get? Thanks!

I bought a small Rival at Wal-Mart which measures 17 1/2 X 9 1/2 X 12 still a little higher than you need but I am sure if you shop around you will find one that will fit...

Good Luck,

Jim

Before you buy a replacement microwave, have you made absolutely certain that there is power to the outlet where it is plugged in? I almost replaced the microwave in my Puma until I discovered that there was a bad circuit breaker.

Joel

Wigpro said:
I bought a small Rival at Wal-Mart which measures 17 1/2 X 9 1/2 X 12 still a little higher than you need

I think this one would fit perfectly. His opening is 9 3/4" high and this one is 9 1/2" high. The width is a little smaller than the original but that's OK.

Wigpro said:
I bought a small Rival at Wal-Mart which measures 17 1/2 X 9 1/2 X 12 still a little higher than you need but I am sure if you shop around you will find one that will fit...

Good Luck,

Jim

Do you happen to know the model number?  Thanks!

Great Horned Owl said:
Before you buy a replacement microwave, have you made absolutely certain that there is power to the outlet where it is plugged in? I almost replaced the microwave in my Puma until I discovered that there was a bad circuit breaker.

Joel

Yes.  I tested the outlet and it was getting good power.  I also plugged it in to a good outlet in my kitchen at home and the same thing happened.  I think it's the fuse in the microwave as it is getting power but it won't engage to heat.

There are 2 simple things that go wrong with Microwave ovens, one is an internal fuse and the other is the interlock switch that turns off the open when you open the door.  Both are easily found once the cover is off and most have a schematic inside so you can follow it.  You may have to solder the fuse, not likely though and the switch is a plug in thing.  Both will together probably will not cost $5.

It is worth a try if you are just a little bit handy.

Be careful and make sure the oven is unplugged before opening it.  There are some high voltage capacitors in it so be careful not to touch them.

rjf7g said:
I just ordered this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-0.7-cu-ft-Microwave-Black/19895935 - I will hold on to the old one until I see how I like it!

Read the measurements carefully the one in the link above is bigger than stated the 17 X 9 X 12 is the inside measurements and would not fit your opening - go to Wal-Mart with a tape measure most are always on display, that is what I did....

Good Luck

Jim

Wigpro said:
Read the measurements carefully the one in the link above is bigger than stated the 17 X 9 X 12 is the inside measurements and would not fit your opening - go to Wal-Mart with a tape measure most are always on display, that is what I did....
Good Luck
Jim

When I first read what you said I quickly went to the link and at first I thought you may have been wrong until the light went on. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a Customer Q & A section. One of the questions was "What is the actual dimensions of the microwave" and there it was. It does look like those dimensions are the inside.  Good catch Jim. ;) :'(

rjf7g said:
Do you happen to know the model number?  Thanks!

No visible number on the unit without removing and looking at the back - but on the manual - yes I dug it out...EM720CWA-PM....

I believe that is the model number....and did a google search and this came up for Wal-Mart! Says only available in-store, but found this link going to Amazon...

Despite the bad reviews - I have had no problems with this unit and it has been drug around bouncing in the 5er for close to 50 thousand miles...not one issue...I don't "Cook" in it much but heat things all the time, plus popcorn and baked potatoes and mac and cheese!

Good Luck!

Jim

Wigpro said:

Good Luck

Jim

Well SHOOT...I did not notice that they have two sets of dimensions...thanks for catching this.  Looks like I will be picking it up and returning in on Friday ; )

Wigpro said:
No visible number on the unit without removing and looking at the back - but on the manual - yes I dug it out...EM720CWA-PM....

I believe that is the model number....and did a google search and this came up for Wal-Mart! Says only available in-store, but found this link going to Amazon...

Despite the bad reviews - I have had no problems with this unit and it has been drug around bouncing in the 5er for close to 50 thousand miles...not one issue...I don't "Cook" in it much but heat things all the time, plus popcorn and baked potatoes and mac and cheese!

Good Luck!

Jim

Thanks - the dimensions are listed as 17.3 x 12.9 x 10.2 inches...guess I need to keep looking!

Back
Top Bottom