Adding Cruise Control to Older GMC Van

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JetAgeHobo

Have a 99 GMC Savana I originally purchased well used as a work/courier van,  now I"m using it as a camper/Travel van.  Have a couple of Coleman Folding cots, coolers, some storage space for myself and wife, normal rough camp site stuff, stove, etc.  Have done some local weekend camping trips, so we're pretty organized.  No shower or toilet, we're pretty much at this point dependent on camp showers, etc, but that's not a big deal to us. We have been known to stealth sleep at the Flying J's and Pilots and such, usually there's an area where all the van/sprinter van expeditors park waiting for their next load, we just pull in the row.

Thing is, we're planning a long cross country trip, CA to FL and back, bit of a 'wander about' as it were, and this van was never equipped with cruise control.  I've already driven it from Illinois to California, it's just OK with no cruise control, but would be a lot more convenient and less tiring with CC.

Any suggestions on aftermarket?  Places that install without breaking the bank? I notice even new Chevy Express and GMC Savana's on the lots do not necessarily have cruise control.

Thanks

Used to get mine at Sears, they were DANA (Later Rockwell, same unit, sold the line) and worked well.. Alas,,, It has been a while (That was in the 1970s).

Same with me. I also purchased one from Sears years ago but I don't know if they still sell them. It didn't cost much and it worked real good.

Or, another idea I came up with.  Found a conversion van for sale locally, same year 99 GMC Savana, this one 1500 instead of my 2500.  Needs a good bath on the inside, but has about 50K less miles than mine, has raised roof, usual power windows, doors, Cruise, rear air, couch that unfolds to a bed, captains chairs, etc.

I could probably do a trade for my van + about $3000.  I know paying a lot to get cruise control, but also getting a van much better suited for the task of camping/traveling, vs hauling freight, has most if not all of it's paint, and is a different color than Arctic White. 

We could either use the existing bed/couch combination depending on size, and pull the captains chairs to make room for cooking, cabinets etc.  Or pull the couch and the captains chairs and use our existing Coleman camp cots, add the other stuff. 

May take the wife down tomorrow to take a look, see what she thinks, give the van a good going over and drive. We're still planning a lengthy cross country in March, be good to do it in something a little nicer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom