Some Remodel Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dneighbo

The old 1998 Coachmen Class C is getting a little old, thinking of putting some time into some remodeling.  My only hope is this forum.  ;D

Some projects I am thinking about and looking for advice on.

1.  There is carpet in the bunkhouse and front of the coach and vinyl in the middle (we have no slides).  I am thinking of installing the "floating" no glue, vinyl plank flooring everywhere except in the cab.
  a. Will this type of flooring hold up in an RV?
  b. What are people using to transition from wood to carpet (in the cab).
  c. How difficult is it to get up the old vinyl/carpet?
  d. Are there elegant solutions for the steps coming into the RV?
  e. Any pro tips. :)

2. The dinette and couch fabric is getting worn.  Looking to replace.
  a. Is it cheaper to reupholster the couch or buy a new one?
  b. Any good reupholsters in Phoenix, AZ people could recommend?
  c. Any pro tips. :)

3. The dinette tables have laminate that is warping.
  a. Are there options to buy replacements?
  b. If you going the route of making new custom table tops, recommendations for wood types?

4. The headliner (vinyl?) in the overhead bunk is peeling.
  a. Is there a good way to re-adhesive it to the ceiling?
  b. If replacing instead what type of place would do the work?

Thanks for you patience.  New to tearing stuff apart.

1. You can use most any kind of flooring, but the best is engineered wood, glued down. I helped a buddy put in some top grade vinyl plank (the $3/sqft stuff) and he glued it. If you have a slide to cover, that's probably the most practical way. But others have used the normal floating procedure and it works ok if done with adequate edge spacing. If not, it will buckle when it expands/contracts with temperature change.

2. Recovering is cheaper and easy - any local upholterer can do it, with any grade of fabric, vinyl or leather you choose. Can re-pad too.

3. Get a new tabletop made. Typical ones are plywood with laminate top, just like older home countertops.  Fancier ones are Corian or even granite (watch the weight!). Again, any local cabinet shop or kitchen remodeler can make for you.

4.Automotive Headliner adhesive?

This forum helped me tons when I remodeled my 1984 Class C. I tore out all the carpet. Wasn't hard, took longer to pull the hundreds of staples out of the plywood after I pulled the carpet. I redid the bunk area with more carpet, but redid my floors with solid bamboo planks that I glued down. Been on the road in humid Florida now for a few months and all is good there. Love how easy it is to sweep up the floor. I used the normal wood transition strip between the wood and carpet of the cockpit.  If you are taking the time to redo, think hard about what you really want and need and go for it. I knew I didn't need the back bed, but would want a large bathroom so I tore out the bed and made the entire back the bathroom with a large shower so hubby wouldn't have to scrunch up to get clean. It did involve moving one of the tanks and redoing the plumbing entirely, but well worth the effort. I also removed many cabinets, and redid others to better suit the things we carry/store. I'm never going to resell it so wasn't worried about what "value" I would get out of it. That's why I also tore out the stove, and after three months full-timing find that a grill, griddle and microwave are more than enough. Others are very envious of all my counter space with no stove hogging it up.

As for the vinyl you could try to carefully reglue it, maybe try to get behind it with spray adhesive. Or just pull it off and go over it with something else. You can use wallpaper, or really anything else. Mine is covered with tin signs. I'm a DIYer so can't help you with a place to get work done. Really think it would be something you could accomplish fairly easy on your own. Yep just order up a new tabletop at any home improvement store if you don't want to make one.  Find a seamstress or reupholsterer near you to recover your cushions or even make new curtains, etc. Would be a lot cheaper and you can shop for the exact fabric you want, not be stuck with a few shades of ugly you will get from a manufacturer.

Good luck to you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom