Electrical Issues on a '96 Coachman Santara Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charchlo

Finally found the perfect RV for me and have been busy with renovations but have encountered a perplexing problem with the electrical system. This rig has an Intellitect Power Center and has a switch located near the entrance with two options; Store and Use. I have shore power hooked up but the coach battery still drains down fairly quickly and the truck battery drains as well at a slower pace. Everything works fine when the batteries are charged but thought the power center should keep the coach battery charged as well. I've been mostly using the 110 plugs for power tools and such but need the DC system to run the furnace (cold down here in NC this week). Any ideas or thoughts. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the power center.

My 2000 Coachmen Santara Class C had a separate converter located under a cabinet next to the fridge and not physically part of the power center.  The 'Store Use' switch had to be in the 'Use' position to charge the batteries and use 12 volt devices.  When plugged in to shore power, you should hear a low hum from the converter.  If not, check the converter for power being applied to it (mine simply plugged into a 120 vac outlet) and check for a blown fuse on the output side of the converter.

I added a Trik-L-Start to keep the engine battery charged.

I've been keeping it in the "use" position. My rig does not have a separate converter, it is part of the power center. There does seem to be a hum coming from their and no blown fuses. Guess I will have to invest in a good multi-meter to figure out what is going on. I think the biggest mystery to me is why it would be draining the truck battery?

Charchlo said:
I've been keeping it in the "use" position. My rig does not have a separate converter, it is part of the power center. There does seem to be a hum coming from their and no blown fuses. Guess I will have to invest in a good multi-meter to figure out what is going on. I think the biggest mystery to me is why it would be draining the truck battery?
Draining the "truck" battery is common.  There are several parasitic drains, some can be substantial and may require you to do some troubleshooting to determine what is loading the battery.  Now, since your house battery is draining as well as the truck battery, you could have something wrong in the circuit that provides alternator charging current to the house batteries.  You need to get wiring diagram if possible.  Coachmen may have one on-line.  I think some units have a relay that is energized when the engine is running and may disconnect the converter when energized.  If so, it may be stuck in the engine charging mode which would explain the lack of charging from the converter and the draining of the chassis battery.  I am only speculating here, as I do not have have a diagram nor am I familiar with all types of possible wiring configurations.

Intelletec battery control centers work one of two ways,, Either there is one switch, or two switches (main and Aux or House and Chassis or however the body builder labels them).

When you rock the rocker, be it towards USE or STORE you should hear a CLUNK from the BCC (Battery Control Center).. if you do not, switch is most likely faulty (If you need instrucitons on fixing that,, Well I had to do it once).

IF you put it in STORE, next to the switch is a red light, does it remain bright, get very dim, go out?

IF it remains bright, and you are on shore power,, GOOD, working properly

If it gets dim or dark, your converter is toast. (OR unpluged (some models) OR the circuit breaker is tripped).

IF the batteries are runnign down, while it is in the USE position, and you are plugged into shore power.. Almost guaranteed the converter is not functioning..

On my coach the converter is a plug in model (Well one of em is, the one I usually use) Occasionally I snag the plug and pull it out of the socket,, This , naturally, disables the converter.  Well, it is usually about 3am When I notice voltage dropping and if you think I'm going out to plug it back in at 3am.. Think again.

Thankfuly I have a 2nd converter, one flip of the switch and voltage climbs once more.

Well I guess it must be the converter that is bad. If i leave it plugged into shore power the coach and truck batteries will drain down and I won't be able to use the furnace. If I leave it hooked up to the battery charger I can't use the outlets for my tools. Very frustrating. Any recommendations on how to replace the converter and what to buy.

Replacement depends on what you have for a converter/charger. It's probably integrated with the load center, a combined AC/DC unit. If it's a Magnetec (very likley), there are replacement charger designed to slip in. Or you can replace the entire load center with a modern one (which will be far superior). Or you can disconnect the old charger components and substitute a PD 9200 series charger.

This site has some alternatives for the old Magnetec chargers.
http://www.bestconverter.com/MagnetekParallax-63007300-Upgrade-Kit_c_64.html

Call Coachmen.  They are great on giving phone support for such issues.  You can email as well, should get an answer in 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom