S&S Campers, thoughts please. Looking into used.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podunker

Hi folks, new member and hopefully soon to be new to truck camping. I would love to get some input on what my wife and I have planned. We are getting close to retirement, 5 years away and want to start traveling and seeing the country. We looked at all the options and have done a ton of research over the last year. These forums have been invaluable. We decided that a Truck Camper is the way we want to go.  We are planning on getting a better/bigger truck this year. Unfortunately, that will take up much of our budget. So instead of waiting a few more years to purchase a newer 15,000 plus camper, we have decided to look at buying a used one in the 5,000 to 10,000 ranges. The lower the better. I have some handyman skills and am willing to put in some work on a used one. Not to mention the fact, that we have never even done it before, so we wouldn?t be out a lot if it ends up not being for us. 

So I have been scouring rvtrader, craigslist, etc. for campers. We really like the floor plans in the S & S campers and have found several in our price range. Most built in late 1990?s to early 2000.  I am having a heck of a time finding out any information on S&S truck campers, but the pictures look promising. Just curious if anyone owns one or has owned one in the past. Love to hear your thoughts on them. I can?t seem to find anything on the weight of the campers, length, etc. I would love it if we could get one that would fit on a F250/F350 non-dually. Not just limited to S&S, just like the look of them. Obviously any of the name brand guys would work also, but usually more expensive. (Lance, Northernlite, Northstar, etc.) Also like Alpinelite, but man they are very heavy.

Basically we are looking for a fixer upper that has a good reputation. We would love to get started this year truck camping, but probably would only be able to do it with a used camper. Thanks in advance for any help!

In 2004 I went all out and bought a Ford F550 4x4 Pick up Conversion and a Lance 1120 Cab-Over Camper. I loved that set up and camped in it until about 1 1/2 years ago when I converted the F550 into a flat bed for the family business and sold the Lance. I loved that I could set up just about anywhere in that rig.

I don't have any experience with S&S, but I can wish you the best of luck in your search.

Attachments

• Diamond Lake, OR.jpg
    Diamond Lake, OR.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 50
S & S are made in Kalispell, Montana and from what I have heard are good sturdy rugged campers...I spend quite a bit of time in Kalispell and have been in the parts store many times, I have looked at several new units there and they are real nice....they are real good down to earth people and I am sure a phone call would answer all your questions.

They have a website with some info HERE! It is currently under construction but their name and phone and address is there!

Every time I went there for parts or advice they were very accommodating and good honest low cost answers!

Good Luck - my favorite is the Arctic Fox but they are pricey!!

Jim

We camped for 20 years in our 9 1/2 Lance camper on a 3/4 ton Ford. Switched to a fifth wheel with a slide. I don't like it and miss our truck camper. We could always get a camping site, didn't have to have made reservations six months ahead as we could go to the road less traveled places.  Did two trips to AK, followed spring up and the fall south and only hooked up  to electricity 3 times. We had a solar panel. We're thinking of going back to a truck camper. You really don't need all the stuff that bigger units have when you have a grizzly go by your camper at night. I'd look for a floor plan that has the kitchen split to both sides of the camper for better weight distribution 

Hey Podunker what part of the country are you in?
I have a friend that is in Westminster, MD. you may want to speak to.

Kevin

Hi Podunker,
Following is the reply I had from my friend that has his camper and truck for sale.
Don't know if you'd be interested or not.

Here?s what I?ve found via Blue Book for truck and camper.  I?ve no other info, as from dealers; haven?t been able to get the New Hampshire camper guy on the phone this morning and have not as yet talked ?new truck? with Ford folks.  Whatever, for comparison purposes for your shopping here?s how they?re set up.

The NADA price range on the camper is 19-23 K, ?low retail? to ?ave retail.?  S&S model 11FBSC, mfg 2008, bought new from factory in Dec 2009.  Dual 30 lb propane tanks.  Nominal wet weight per label 3695 lbs; we normally go down the road at around 4200. Mine has some cosmetic delamination of Filon siding from previous water leakage (leaks long fixed, and new nose cap to be done this Fall).  Thermal pane window, Heki skylight/escape hatch, dual Fantastic fans with Maxx-Air covers.  Fan over bed set up with 16-sp conversion so you can run it quietly all night at about 100 ma draw. Has 160 watts solar with 30 amp charge controller, compressor refrigerator (so no camper leveling required? if your beer/wine stays on the dinette table and you can sleep at the angle, you?re good). Trimetic power meter, and assorted other tweaks like dual GP31 AGM batteries new last year, plus extras storage mods.  Fuel cell not included at that price :) but with truck inverter, normal 7-pin charging and power meter things work without killing the batteries, just need to monitor if you?re dry camping in one spot for more than a couple of days.  Dry bath with fiberglas molded sink/shower unit, Thetford flush toilet.  Dinette converts to extra bed.  Tanks are 40 fresh, 6 gal hot water, 22 gray, 24 black if I recall; on a long trip I?ve carried an external sewage tank on a hitch platform in case we can?t find a dump station; tank can be filled/emptied while on the platform.  Serwer hose storage in rear bumper, in a slide-out tray. Also have a setup to suck fresh water from an external can and fill onboard tank via under-sink 3M filter.  Has 2.5KW propane Onan.  Paddle storage in long tray at rear? holds all our paddles, plus ladder and other stuff like two water hoses.  Canoe rack on roof, currently adjusted for Souris River 17 ft. boat.  Genset, tank level indicators, water pump etc. all controlled from range hood.  Three burner cooktop with oven? oven fits 16 in pizza pan :-

NADA for the truck as trade-in is around 25K, ave retail 29K at 135K miles.  2008 F450, crew cab, diesel, dually, dual alternators, 14.5K load rating, two new batteries, Lariat trim level/options including power leather front bucket seats. 4x4 auto hubs, long bed with camper package and Stable Loads on the rear, plus Centrimatic balancers on all wheels.  Truck empty with me driving shows 9860 on the scales at the dump.  Tires are Continental 19.5?s; spare is literally new but different brand, on steel rim? muddy at moment.  Other rims are alloy.  Also set up with my 1800 watt inverter system with two GP31 AGMs (new last Spring) in frame mount aft of transfer case. You plug camper shore power into the ground fault outlet on the driver?s side of the rear hitch.  Inverter will also run a standard 7 in circular saw, etc.  Two 7-pin plugs (one in bed), plus 4-pin at rear; Super Hitch with 4 ft extension (new) for towing while camper is mounted, at full rated load.  Hypertech tuner, which is the only one to give safe EGTs at max settings, so you get 400Hp and 800 ft-lbs torque going down the road, with on average about 8% better mileage than stock.  With camper I?ll usually see 10mpg, +/- 1 mpg depending on grade and headwind/tailwind, all at 60 mph in cruise.  Tie-downs are Torklift, plus the saddle brackets for the Stable-Lift.  You can put up to 5K in the bed of this beast and it doesn?t squat, so essentially any camper can be carried from pop-up to Chalet triple-slides.

Howdy,

Did you ever find a camper?

To get information on S&S Campers, do the following:

Go to: Archive.org
Use the Way Back Machine to visit: s-scampers.com
You now have access to archived versions of the S&S website - you can see the different model years and sales brochures. I also have a unit up for sale that may interest you - it is as cherry as you can get. http://helena.craigslist.org/rvs/5163235455.html

And see another for sale locally:
http://kalispell.craigslist.org/cto/5127886501.html

Good luck! Happy to share any brochures, etc. that you may be interested in. IMHO S&S campers are outstanding and a best choice is you can find one in good condition for reasonable money.

Hey KVP - it appears we bought this camper from TCW in West Chesterfield, NH last spring ;D

I just read your post.  If you are still looking for a truck camper:
We have a 1998 S&S camper model 11 SC-B with North South bed.  It is in excellent condition with electric lifts, electric start 6 gal hot water tank, all led bulbs (except back up lights and under sink and in 1 closet) flat screen tv with atwood antenna, indoor and outdoor  shower, double sink, 6 cu ft refrig and freezer, 2 AGM size 27 batteries, double propane tanks with automatic change over, 3 burner stove with oven, Fantastic fan, mini blinds, pass thru cab window, 18k BTU heater, heated basement holding tanks, 38 gal water (plus hot tank) grey 30 gal, black 24 gal.  Dry weight is listed at 2,480.

We have found this camper to be a perfect way to camp.  The only reason we have moved to a class C is old age and climbing in and out of bed at night have become difficult. 

We are asking $4,500.  If you have any questions please call 301-502-967

KVP said:
dual Fantastic fans with Maxx-Air covers.  Fan over bed set up with 16-sp conversion so you can run it quietly all night at about 100 ma draw.

I'd be interested in knowing more about this "conversion" if KVP can respond or anyone else knows

bobfitz

The thread you responded to was initially started in 2015. We do have a "For Sale" section should you wish to post in there!!

Back
Top Bottom