Question about pay for workcamping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You let me down Gary. I think this is the first mistake you've made on this Forum for at least as long that I've been a member.  ;D  Have a great Florida day.  Hopefully the weather will be a lot better than it was last night.  :(

DARN - my halo is so tarnished! 
I was recently reading about increases in state minimum wages that took effect in 2015 and thought I remembered Florida was up to $8.40, but I must have mixed it up with another state. Or maybe the article was wrong?

Now we are even, Gary. You straightened me out about two GFC outlets being in the same circuit a couple of years ago. And, I have not forgotten how polite you were about telling me I was wrong. I am glad you are on the staff and, like Rene, have not seen you give out bad information before.

One of the advantages of a forum such as this is multiple members.. Now Gary is usually very good.. I try but he is better.

However should one of us goof.. Usually there are 2 or 3 others who will jump in with corrections.

Oh well.. This has been a good week for me.. Two people had problems with hardware I am far too familiar with so I was able to figure it out remotely and hit it on the head...

Of course..  Helps that I have the same hardware,, and in one case the same problem (in the other case there the problem was a misunderstand,,, one I know about from reading and I was only 90% accurate there (The remaining 10% did not matter, I qualified a statment with "There may be exceptions" turns out there are not).

Gary does better than me though.

Gary RV Roamer said:
DARN - my halo is so tarnished! 
I was recently reading about increases in state minimum wages that took effect in 2015 and thought I remembered Florida was up to $8.40, but I must have mixed it up with another state. Or maybe the article was wrong?

I'm OK with blaming it on the article.  ;D ;)

In light of this, I'm afraid we have to reduce Gary's salary to $0.00. That's a 0% reduction.

I haven't talked with this guy in a long time, but he voluntered to work in Bible camps  on his way to and from Florida every year.  He would park at a camp for free in exchange for doing odd jobs for them for a week or 2 and then move on to another camp.  It would take him a month or more to get to Florida and the same getting back to Minnesota for the summer.  The camp would givehim a place to park, electricity, sewer, and usually meals in exchange for labor.

I'm well short of omniscient and can think of at least a couple errors I've made in the past year. They usually get caught quickly enough.

I usually know better than to trust my memory of an isolated fact and typically do a quick Google to verify anything before I post, but this time I shot from the hip. And hit my foot!

A couple of issues that are rarely mentioned in discussions like this one are coverage for on the job injuries and liability insurance if a visitor should file a law suit against you or the campground. If you are working under the table for a free site, you may be on your own should either situation occur. When providing repair services, there could also be liability issues as well as business licensing and sales tax collection on parts and or services depending on state and local laws.

WOW, sometimes we miss the question.  Many places give you your site and min. wage for the state you are in.  It can get complicated, but you are worth what you are worth and that you must get!  Unless you are retired and wanting to get some additional income to support existing retirement income.  Free rent and hookups is a pretty good deal.  I value that between $500.00/month and $600.00/Month.  That in State Parks usually is earned with 20-24 hours a week.  Fair? it is if you accept it!  Consider the work, usually in state parks you sell fire wood, collect fees and answer questions!  Private parks requiring Rest Room cleaning, physical maintenance work or administrative work pay min wage for hours worked.  Sometimes your site is your first 20-24 hours and pay begins after that!

Decide what you can live with, negotiate clearly and put it in writing.  Make certain you or the employer can terminate with short notice.  It is better to get out early if you feel need than to hurt an otherwise good friendship.

Back
Top Bottom