HDMI connection to RCA jacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgmartin

I just purchased a Sony Blu-ray Disc player, model BDP-S3200. It has an HDMI connection. The tv is a 19 in. Jensen, model JE1907, with RCA connectors. I bought a cable with an HDMI on one end, and RCA plugs on the other. Upon connecting them I get no signal.  The RCA plugs are connected to the Component Video and Audio jacks. The Menu on the tv does not allow me to choose a channel, only between Component, Composite, S-Video, or S-Sub In. I tried those variations, to no avail. Could this be an issue whereby the Sony player outputs the signal at 1080, while the tv is not set for this? Has anyone had this same problem? The old DVD player worked fine while connected to Component Video.

Here's a web site explaining the process.  You will need a converter.
http://techchannel.radioshack.com/convert-hdmi-composite-cable-2160.html

What color are the covers on the RCA (Phono) plugs,,,, Match them,, They are most likely Red, White and Yellow, that's composite A/V input colors. (red and white are audio, Yellow video).

Without more info on the particular HDMI-to-RCA adapter you have, it is hard to guess why it doesn't work. That adapter needs some electronics to function, though. HDMI had digital video and audio that needs to be converted to analog signals for the tv input jacks you have available. If the adapter RCA jacks are color coded Yellow, Red & White, the Yellow goes to the composite input and the Red & Whites to audio inputs. If the color codes are Red, Green & Blue, those would go to the 3 Component Video inputs and you would need two additional RCA jacks for audio as well. Passive adapter cables like this usually rely on the tv to do signal conversion and few tvs actually do that. so that may be why yours doesn't work.

The best converter adapter for your purposes would be for Component Video, to get higher resolution (if the tv is capable of it). Here is an adapter that will do the conversion. You would need to add the 5 RCA cables from the converter to the tv (3 for Video and 2 for Audio)..
http://www.amazon.com/E-More%C2%AE-Component-Converter-Supporting-Coaxial/dp/B00R19BG7O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420894210&sr=8-4&keywords=hdmi+adapter+to+component

Mistere is on target. The HDMI to Component cables I recently purchased will not work by themselves.  This is because the HDMI ouput is in digital form, while the Component input is analog. The cables do not transform the signals, and a converter box is required.

Gary, I guess I was not clear in my first posting. I only have the HDMI to Component cables. This was the only thing between the Blu-Ray player and the tv. I do not have the converter box. That will be my next purchase.  Thx.

That sort of adapter cable always has some fine print somewhere on the box that says something like "the receiver must be able to convert the signal...", but I've never seen a receiving device that handled digital input on a jack that is labeled for an analog signal, e.g. Component video or composite. They ought to be ashamed for that deception!  A real converter box will have an HDMI input jack and RCA output jacks, so you don't need that sort of cable anyway. Just RCA male-male patch cables.

So true Gary!  Had the cable advertisement come with a caution that said the cables alone would not do the job of a converter, I would not have purchased them. Yes, it was false advertisement by omission. Live and learn.  Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom