Class C Advantages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippinbye

As you might gather if you've read some of my other posts, I'm looking for a family MH that can sleep a couple of kids outside the general living area.  Having discovered the rarity of 10+ year-old, bunk-equipped diesel pusher Class A units, I have to consider a Class C that has cab-over sleeping.  Not quite the level of segregated space I hoped for, but way better than what 99% of Class A units have offer.  And at 29-31 feet seeming to the general top size (even those look pretty ungamley to me, with about a mile of rear axle overhang!), Class C would rob us of around ten feet of space we'd hoped for.  All that aside, I have developed my own ideas regarding the positives and negatives of a Class C.  I'll throw out my top five; please point out anything I'm overlooking or incorrect about:

Good: 1) cheaper to acquire, 2) potentially better MPG on cheaper fuel, 3) parts cheaper and easier to find (Autozone, junkyard when warranted), 4) better safety equipment (i.e. front air bags and partial automotive structure), 5) all around roomier, from longer floor plans to huge under-rig storage.

Not so good: 1) compromised towing capacity, 2) no air brakes or engine brake, 3) engine noise right next to you, 4) not as smooth and comfortable to drive, 5) less storage and over smaller floor plan availability.

Thanks!

I'll add a few...

Lower weight carrying capacity (very little CCC)
Limited cargo room
Low driver seating position (The higher seat and bigger windshield of an A is huge plus once you get accustomed to it)

My Class C coach is built around two people and is 32'-4" long. I enjoy the "Van" view out of the windshield as opposed to the Class A Cinerama. 

There is a downside to a Class C coach as mentioned, low Cargo Carrying Capacity, which you'll need more of with a family. I have a CCC of 1,940# which is not a lot of cargo for a family. Towing capacity is another downside to a Class C, most of which are limited to 5,000# or less. Far less living space in the Class C then the same length Class A. Holding tanks in a Class C are smaller.

Not trying to talk you out of anything, but a Class C for all of its convenience has its limitations, until you get into the Seneca Class. IMO. 

We have a 35 foot class A gas bunk model. I owned two class C models and I don't find the A that much harder to drive. The difference in cargo capacity unreal. The mpg is a little less but it is worth the extra room. With the gas model you have all the same advantages as a gas class C and most of the parts you talked about getting at the auto parts for a class C are also there for the class A.

It's not the same thing as having bunks but if you really want a Class A, but you're looking at Class Cs because they have cab-over beds, you can get cab-over beds in some Class As too. Our '99 Tiffin Allegro had a pull-down bed that was easily big enough for two kids. Some newer Class As have powered versions. Powered or manual, they come down from the roof over the front two seats. You'll only find them in mid-entry coaches, because when the bed is down it blocks access to where a front door would be. Our kids loved that setup. Just a thought.

Kev

I'll comment as having owned a C since June, and never having owned an A.... but I heavily researched and shopped As, Cs, and TT's

The C is a shorter height, that has come to mind as an advantage with low clearance overhangs

Our C has a built in stair well instead of fold out steps.  Advantage or disadvantage..... it eats up a bit of floor space but it's more comfortable to enter, fewer stairs to climb (DW likes this), and less to break.

Reduced CCC is generally true, but not necessarily when comparing against small entry level A's

Limited cargo space in a C vs A is generally true, but somewhat dependent on floorplan.  While most A's will have bigger outside storage compartments, some C's have ample space there.... and depending on the floorplan inside storage can be comparable too.  I probably have more cabinet space than many small A's

We like having the overhead bunk rather than the fold down available in only a few of the A's

C's will generally have smaller tires that I'm thinking will be less $$$ when that time comes.

Our C is very loud when on the road.  I suspect most A's have the advantage here.

many will say that the cab area is lost living space in a c.  I don't see it as lost, just a different function.  It's still usable in many ways.

I have already wished for the large window view from the living room, to be had with A's.  When parked at sites with nice views, we have to stoop down and crane our necks to see a sliver of the view.

My waste tank size is a bit limiting... especially our grey water.  It's just too small.  I figure this is because of teh reduced CCC issue, but I'm not sure that a smaller entry level type A would be any better.

I would love to have the enclosed underbelly basement, with waste connections and such protected and enclosed in a bin, like most A's seem to have.

Summing up....
We are still very happy with our decision
The floorplan we found fits us better than any other C or even As that we looked at.
The As that would have fit our family, all seemed to be compromises and the floorplans just didn't "work" for us.  Most A's seem better suited to couples or singles.
If money were no object, I still would be more likely to land in a super C rather than an A. (super C to get around the reduced CCC issue)  Now that might be different if I didn't have the kids, I'm not sure...... and it might be different if I were full timing and not just using it for weekend/liesure trips......but for now, I'm happy with our C

I'll just mention this since its fresh in my mind. Yesterday a C cut the turn behind where I'm set up too close. He removed all of the plumbing between his grey tank and the main drain when he hit the curb (about 10 inches high). Ha also trashed the hubcap. Not really the fault of the C, but often a vulnerability of them.

I would usually say that a C suits families with one or two children better than an A, but if I were in that position, I'd still go with a bunkhouse A for the reasons noted above.

Ernie

Personally, I soo no advantages of a C over an A.  I have an A, never had a C, but I did have a pickup with slide in, and that is fairly close to a C.  Storage, the A's (unless you are talking an older 'pre-basement' unit) is a big difference.

One thing to consider, most bunkhouse actually used what would have been a closet.  Find an A that has a passageway closet and convert it.

Ease of driving, I would counter that it is easier, not even just a bit more difficult.  Better visibility. 

Cost?  Look at the cost (gas vs gas) on a C to an A.  A will be more but when looking at layouts you will see you get a lot more for the money.

10 years?  OK, so 2004-2005 era.  bump another couple years and you may find bunkhouses.  My memory says aroun 2006 or 7 I saw the first ones.  Fleetwood Flair I think had one around that time frame.

One advantage I found with my class C was in getting repairs done.  Many shops would automatically turn away class A's yet accept class C's.  I think this is due to both size (mainly height) and familiarity with the chassis.

OK, looks like a 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta, 34B may be oldest I have found.  Avg retail around $50k. 

Nice floorplan, plenty of storage.  Good capacity.  now go buy one.
:-*

PancakeBill said:
I have an A, never had a C, but I did have a pickup with slide in, and that is fairly close to a C.

Like a VW is fairly close to a Rolls.

There's no "one size fits all" on the Class A vs. Class C debate. It comes down to what works for you. We looked at lots of rigs and found nothing family friendly in a Class A, so we bought a Class C. Put the kids to bed on the overhead bunk and close the curtain. Mom and Dad can stay up and enjoy the living space without having to retreat to the bedroom. Try that with a couch that converts to a bed.

The kids' books, toys, clothes, or whatever, stay in "their" bedroom;  you're not nagging them all day to move their stuff so you can have place to sit. Extra CCC or a larger basement doesn't mean very much if you can't live in the darn thing.

HappyWanderer just touched on the most important feature which is livability.  When you're looking at any RV picture how you will use it, where you will stow everything, who will "own" what area, whether it has enough capacity (tanks, storage) for all your "stuff", and what you're going to tack on such as a toad, bicycles, etc.  Probably no rig will fulfill all your needs and wants.  The objective is to find one that fulfills most of them but you really have to approach it as a family project because everyone has to be happy with the final decision and they won't be if they don't understand the tradeoffs.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
HappyWanderer just touched on the most important feature which is livability.  When you're looking at any RV picture how you will use it, where you will stow everything, who will "own" what area, whether it has enough capacity (tanks, storage) for all your "stuff", and what you're going to tack on such as a toad, bicycles, etc.  Probably no rig will fulfill all your needs and wants.  The objective is to find one that fulfills most of them but you really have to approach it as a family project because everyone has to be happy with the final decision and they won't be if they don't understand the tradeoffs.

ArdraF

so true.  we went to a dealer, just to try on a bunkhouse or two for size.....just to get a feel and get DW's input.  I was thinking a BH was exactly what we needed.  It took us all going in one to realize it just didn't fit us well.  DW stepped into one sitting nearby on the lot and loved it.  It really did just fit us better.

HappyWanderer said:
We looked at lots of rigs and found nothing family friendly in a Class A, so we bought a Class C. Put the kids to bed on the overhead bunk and close the curtain. Mom and Dad can stay up and enjoy the living space without having to retreat to the bedroom. Try that with a couch that converts to a bed.

The kids' books, toys, clothes, or whatever, stay in "their" bedroom;  you're not nagging them all day to move their stuff so you can have place to sit. Extra CCC or a larger basement doesn't mean very much if you can't live in the darn thing.

Thanks everyone for the responses; HW probably summed up our situation better than I did.  There are $500K Class A units that would suck for us, and $20K Class Cs that would be a compromise but suit us better.

So the eyes are open for Class A rigs that either have about 72"+ of convertible space (closet maybe?), or the rare bunk-equipped Class A, or a C with the cabover or bunks.

BTW, since a Class C would surely be swapped for a Class A as the kids get older, I'd say our budget is less for a C, with an eye on depreciation containment; I presume a newer C for $50 grand is going to lose more value over a few years than a somewhat older $50K diesel pusher.  So with remodeling included (whether it be bunk conversion or other needs), $50,000 to $60,000 is the top end for a diesel pusher.  About half that for a Class C.

Living as I am now.. The smaller Class C might be better.. That said.. I like my A.

Major advantage of C is size, Bunk (if you have kids) and. cost.  Smaller, Nice and Lower in that order.

Frankly.. There is one here for sale for almost exactly what I still owe on this class A.... I'm not planing on buying it though.

Why not a an A Gas?  The link I sent you for the 2008 34B would fit the 50 pretty close.
http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-FLEETWOOD-FIESTA-34B-Class-A-For-Sale-On-RV-Trader/search-results?make=FLEETWOOD%7C305435&model=FIESTA%2034B%7C764834596&type=Class%20A%7C198067&modelkeyword=1&vrsn=hybrid

HappyWanderer said:
There's no "one size fits all" on the Class A vs. Class C debate.

+1
We've met several younger families with kids that are thrilled with their C.
Hose the little monsters off, tuck them into the overhead, close the curtain, heave a big sigh of relief, and pop a beer....
Glad that chapter of our life is over......  ;D

I owned a Winnebago 35' Class A, just like my Coachmen Class C better.  Just more comfortable driving it, adequate basement space, better bath layout.  And I like the view from the cab better than the humongous glass windshield.  Also easier to work on myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom