Fox Vs Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hoffman

I thought this peeing match would be short lived, but now I am getting perturbed.  It seems that Dish is losing 1000's of subscribers to Direct TV because of this and I am just about ready to do the same.

I have a Dish Tailgater and 211 receiver with a separate hard drive to record. 

What are my options if I go to Direct?  How much and what will I have to buy to have a similar system, self tracking etc.  I tried to look up the hardware I would need, but didn't get to far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom...

Winegard G2 Carryout is probably the best choice for a tracking sat, however it does not receive HD.  This may seem like bad news, but the fact is your old Dish one didn't either, despite what it might have been telling you.  DirecTV broadcasts much higher quality HD not able to be captured by small dishes.  What Dish passes off as HD is better than SD, but not really in the realm of HD.  The Trav'ler is a great RV antenna that WILL receive DirecTV HD, but I don't believe you can drive and watch.  You can probably watch the DVR though, I've never tried it so I'm not certain.  Heads up if you go with the G2 or similar, you will need a SWM8 and a new power converter.  Not a big deal, just fyi.  You don't need it if you get the Trav'ler though.

And now I will shamelessly invite you to put me down as your referral to DirecTV to save us both $100!  I'm sure you already know someone, but worth a shot.

Last I checked Fox was not playing nicely with DirecTV at least now when it comes to the local station here in S.E. GA.

This is just the latest round of people with overweight bank accounts wanting MORE MORE MORE.. Greedy people being greedy.. Best suggestion I can give is cut the cord and go OTA.. but of course that simply will not do.

Spent 2 weeks at my daughter's.  She has DirecTV, Thousand channels and nothing worth watching save Pay Per View.

Tom Hoffman said:
I thought this peeing match would be short lived, but now I am getting perturbed.  It seems that Dish is losing 1000's of subscribers to Direct TV because of this and I am just about ready to do the same.

I have a Dish Tailgater and 211 receiver with a separate hard drive to record. 

What are my options if I go to Direct?  How much and what will I have to buy to have a similar system, self tracking etc.  I tried to look up the hardware I would need, but didn't get to far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom...

You echo my thoughts Tom but I need to consider paying a  $320 penalty to leave now.  In 7 months with Dish, they have had conflicts with CNN, CBS, Turner (all of them no great loss) and now FOX.  I have the Tailgater and 211 in the motorhome and can still keep them without reequipping by going on the Dish pay as you go plan when traveling - usually less than 2 months per year.  With two other older satellite dishes already on the roof I really don't want to add more for the limited time I use it.  If they don't settle soon, I will going bye bye.

Well,  I did finally find a possible option.  Seems, Camping World has a King Tailgater that can receive either Dish or Direct and then I need a receiver,  It is a tad more expensive than the normal Tailgater and much less than Wineguard G2.  Still it will be in excess of $700+ to get changed over. 

As far as HD goes,  I could care less,  My flat screen already has a crisp clean picture and I am not sophisticated enough nor is my vision sufficient to tell the difference.

Guess I'll just cool my jets and wait it out for another month or to.  Perhaps they will both get a full proctoscope exam and find their missing brains and get on getting on.

Personally, I hadn't noticed Fox was not being shown.  I did notice when CNN was off, however.  What you are witnessing is capitalism at its best...or worst.

Looks like 90,000 subscribers have left so far.  Being the cynic I am, I see the contract coming up with Direct probably going to reapply tis whole thing then.  OTA is not always an option, there are NO OTA stations for us here in Yellowstone.  So, one sat company or another is our only option. 

We have been on Direct since we lived in FL, because whre wee lived, cable was not an option, and OTA didn't have channels we were used to.

As to nothing on worth watching,?  No History?  No Nat Geo?  lots of good stuff, just not all at the same time.

As to OTA, all you have are 4 networks and their drivel sit coms etc. 

I expect one or the other, more likely Fox due to their advertising revenue loss, will blink at some point in this dispute. Personally, I'm glad that Dish is taking a hard line with the greedier program providers. When Fox threw in a triple upcharge on a totally unrelated channel as a condition of settling, I don't blame Dish at all for digging in their heels. A 90,000 subscriber loss is little more than 0.5% of Dish's 14 million subscribers. Their "churn" rate will take a hit, but nothing huge I suspect.

NY_Dutch said:
I expect one or the other, more likely Fox due to their advertising revenue loss, will blink at some point in this dispute. Personally, I'm glad that Dish is taking a hard line with the greedier program providers. When Fox threw in a triple upcharge on a totally unrelated channel as a condition of settling, I don't blame Dish at all for digging in their heels. A 90,000 subscriber loss is little more than 0.5% of Dish's 14 million subscribers. Their "churn" rate will take a hit, but nothing huge I suspect.

I think they both will have to blink and pretty darned soon.  But there are some facts about this situation that are not being made public.  Dish's story about tripling the upcharge on a nonrelated channel is referring to Fox Sports One which was formerly the Speed Channel.  As the Speed channel, not carried on very many packages, and with limited viewership, the price was cheap.  Since then, FOX reinvented the Speed channel as Fox Sports One and is trying to mold it as FOX's version of ESPN - they still have a ways to go but it takes time to get contracts for some of the big sporting events.  FS1 did show some of the MLB playoff games (to the consternation of many who did not have the channel) but it seems, for the present, they are stuck with things like the mixed martial arts competitions (which I never watch).  But, to summarize, FS1 is a different animal than what Dish contracted for and FOX is just trying to cash in early on that one.  I think it's a case of both outfits cutting off their nose to spite their face.  Dish cries that all satellite companies have troubles from time to time but their record in the seven months I have had them is not too sterling. For me, I would love to see an total a-la-carte menu for the viewer.  Pick those channels or networks you want and pay for them only plus maybe a flat rate for all subscribers.  But that will never happen unless the FCC gets over their politics and starts thinking about the consumer.

Whether FS1 is a "different animal" or not should be irrelevant and not a condition of this negotiation. Dish's contract for FS1 carriage is NOT up for renewal, yet Fox is holding Fox News carriage hostage in order to increase the little watched FS1 rate anyway. Negotiating the FS1 contract when it's due would be the ethical and business like thing to do.

What is the worst thing that can happen?  Thousands of Americans will not get to see FOX News channels. And thus may actually have to THINK before they VOTE in the next election....

(Wait, for Fox's real sponsors that really is a bad thign.. They count on a non-thinking populace to elect them).

John From Detroit said:
What is the worst thing that can happen?  Thousands of Americans will not get to see FOX News channels. And thus may actually have to THINK before they VOTE in the next election....
Now John, we all know that the non-thinking masses watch NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, etc. news for how to vote without thinking.
;D

Anyone that thinks the news from any network source, or the internet or newspaper for that matter, is true and unbiased is only fooling themselves.  Every source has a bias, usually intentional, and can't be trusted.  Each person has to do their own research, using trustworthy sources and actual transcripts and/or videos to determine the truth.  Network programming exists for only one reason, to sell ads.  I would hope we all are intelligent enough to make our voting decisions based on something other than a talking head hired for their appearance.

Ned, Do you mean Rush is WRONG?

Seriously, 100% with you on getting all the info you can from as many sources as you can and making your own judgements.

I seldom watch TV, and never watch Fox news. Saturday night while watching the Seahawks win their game on a fox network, I saw a commercial by Fox accusing Dish of trying to sensor them and telling their viewers to call Dish and let them know we support freedom of speech in this country. Good grief. Which is why I do not watch Fox news.

Just wait it out. You're really not missing anything that you can't get elsewhere.

Maybe when Fox and Dish learn to get along we can get rid of the erectile dysfunction commercials, the Lyrica commercials and some of the other medicine commercials that list all the possible side effects which sound worse than the original problem. Since I don't wear adult diapers we should ban any advertising of them. I don't like looking at commercials with abused and neglected dogs either so let's ban those. I also don't drink soda pop so we need to get rid of those commercials too.

You see, if I don't like it, and I'm tired of watching those commercials then they're wrong. I'm also ready to go thru the Dish lineup and cancel all the channels that I don't personally like. Because if I don't like them then nobody should have access to them.

Think about it people, everyone likes different things and if we all had "our" way, then nobody would be happy. You all have a choice to watch Fox or not if it's part of your channel package. You also have the choice to watch CNN, MSNBC, the GEM channel or the 24 hour shop til you drop channel. To say you're happy that someone can't watch a particular channel because you don't like it is insufferably self centered.

Ken

I never ever see those commercials or any other for that matter.  I record everything and skip the commercials.  It is amazing how short the programs are without commercials.    :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom