Fox Vs Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to get this thread locked down is to inject your own politics into it.  I did write emails to both FOX and Dish.  Dish responded with a short terse statement that they "were working on it."
Fox responded with a few facts quoted partially as:
".......We are doing everything we can to get DISH to put FOX News back on the air, however they have been incredibly slow in responding to us.  They dropped our networks on 12/20 (before our deal expired) and didn't call us back until well after the New Year.
Our main goal is to get you back FOX News, not to feed into DISH's blame game, but we must give our viewers the facts.  Especially since DISH is misrepresenting the issues through channel 204/205, emails, etc.........."

June 2014 was my first experience into the satellite TV & internet world and I thought I looked pretty thoroughly before I leaped. Evidently not good enough.  I am ready to go back to the cable system I had for 10 years and only complained about infrequently but who injected so much junk into their 'packages' that the cost got out of hand.  I went to them frequently to ask for changes but was ignored.  Now that same cable company is practically beating down my door with calls, emails and ads with lots of enticements. 
    Oh for the good old days on the plains of North Dakota where the wobbly TV antenna was on a high pipe attached to the house and received only two channels (and very poor reception) from the nearest town with any broadcast stations.  Living without 24/7 TV and internet can make for a much more relaxing life.  I actually went to baseball games rather than just watching them on TV.

Bill N said:

Oh for the good old days on the plains of North Dakota where the wobbly TV antenna was on a high pipe attached to the house and received only two channels (and very poor reception) from the nearest town with any broadcast stations. 

We were a little bit fortunate. Dad was able to purchase a rotor for ours. The control box sat on top of the old black and white TV and it had a huge mechanical dial you'd rotate and in turn the antenna would rotate.

Bill N said:
Oh for the good old days...
I hear this and I picture Edith and Archie Bunker on the intro to "All in the Family"...

Those Were The Days (All In The Family Theme)
Boy, the way Glenn Miller played!
Songs that made the Hit Parade.
Guys like us, we had it made.
Those were the days!

And you knew where you were then.
Girls were girls and men were men.
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state.
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee, our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days!
Do you think Archie would watch Fox? 8)

Bill N said:
The best way to get this thread locked down is to inject your own politics into it.  I did write emails to both FOX and Dish.  Dish responded with a short terse statement that they "were working on it."
Fox responded with a few facts quoted partially as:
".......We are doing everything we can to get DISH to put FOX News back on the air, however they have been incredibly slow in responding to us.  They dropped our networks on 12/20 (before our deal expired) and didn't call us back until well after the New Year.
Our main goal is to get you back FOX News, not to feed into DISH's blame game, but we must give our viewers the facts.  Especially since DISH is misrepresenting the issues through channel 204/205, emails, etc.........."

Now that's funny! Dish cut the Fox News and Fox Business channels 10 MINUTES before the contract expired at midnight on the 20th, and started feeding alternate programming at midnight. Dish is "misrepresenting"? A Fox exec claims Dish has lost 90,000 subscribers over the Fox dispute, but the sources he mentions are totally bogus statistically. Do I even need to mention Fox's claim the Dish is "censoring" them????

NY_Dutch said:
Now that's funny! Dish cut the Fox News and Fox Business channels 10 MINUTES before the contract expired at midnight on the 20th, and started feeding alternate programming at midnight. Dish is "misrepresenting"? A Fox exec claims Dish has lost 90,000 subscribers over the Fox dispute, but the sources he mentions are totally bogus statistically. Do I even need to mention Fox's claim the Dish is "censoring" them????

Actually, unless you are closely involved in one of these entities, I don't think any of us have any idea as to exactly what is going on with either of these companies.  All I can go by is the past history and, in that regard, I cannot find any history of FOX having renewal problems before this but I can find lots of history on DISH with several other networks and channels.  The more I see of Dish and how they operate and practice a lot of deceit the more I think that when the contract is up, I am going back to cable.  I could see having them or Direct TV if I was in a remote location and did not have cable available but that is not the case with my location.  Should be interesting in how long this lasts.  I called and asked if my bill would be reduced.  They said that, since I called, they would reduce it $5 per month but that only those who called would get any reduction.  Typical Dish 'service.'

I am going back to cable.

That may work for your stick and brick but that would be a heck of a long cable to drag behind the RV!  ;D  As for Dish, they've had a long list of problems for years including the distant networks where they were taken to court and lost.  That's why you have a separate provider of the distant networks for Dish.  By contrast, DirecTV played by the rules and we have the distant networks through DirecTV.  We started with DirecTV and still have them many years later.

ArdraF

An interesting point Ardra, but I don't want distant networks. I want to know what's happening in the town I'm in. What LA or NY is doing doesn't interest me. What Yuma, or Tucson, or SLC is doing is what I want to watch. I like to see the local news and hear about the local parades or festivals. Dish allows me to change to the locals wherever I am for no extra charge. Why pay extra to get LA news? What is this separate provider for distant networks?

Ken

The separate provider for distant networks has been gone for over a year. We have had Dish since the beginning and are still quite happy with it.

I was only using the distant networks as an example of some of the previous problems - but I didn't know that had been resolved again.  Thanks for bringing me up to date, Wendy!

Yes, it's better to have local news but for people who change locations frequently the distant networks (NY and LA) are better than nothing, especially if over the air channels also are not available.  Some people could care less but a "news junkie" can't survive without the networks!  ;) ;D

ArdraF

A 5 minute online chat session gets us the local stations on Dish no matter where we are. I've changed service locations as often as 5 times in a week with no complaints from Dish.

My satellite's better than your satellite. ::)  But, back on the subject of the Fox vs Dish dispute, personally I'm glad Dish tries to get the best price they can from the networks.  I don't think I could afford Dish if they didn't.  Over time, I'm sure DirecTV will have their disputes as well with the networks in the future and some networks will be blocked until the disputes are settled.  They will have to in order to remain competitive.  I have been a Dish customer for about 10 years.  Before that I was a DirectTV customer.  I switched to Dish because when local channels became available over satellite, DirecTV couldn't see their bird without stringing a new separate antenna about 100 ft. from the house.  I can't say I am more satisfied with Dish because I haven't had DirecTV for many years and both services have improved over that time, I'm sure.  If I was starting from scratch, I would probably go with the one that provided a programming package closest to my likes - if pricing was equivalent.  As for cable, I have 3 sons with cable and it seems like every time I visit one of them there is some problem with one or more channels.  As for Dish, I seldom have a problem except for weather outages.

Changing service locations and having local stations hasn't been a problem for the almost 5 years we've had this MH. Prior to this rig we never used satellite on the road, so I don't know about problems before May of 2010. We've had satellite on the boat since 2005 but never leave the Seattle spot except when we get too far north in Canada on the inside passage. 

We change out locals in the MH even if we haven't left the spot beam. For example in Palm Springs one can have Palm Springs, Yuma or Phoenix locals. We opt to get Palm Springs when we're there and Yuma when we're there and Phoenix when we're there. 

Ken

ArdraF said:
That may work for your stick and brick but that would be a heck of a long cable to drag behind the RV! 
ArdraF

Not really ArdraF.  I still would have the Dish Tailgater satellite dish and the VIP211K receiver and could go on the "Pay as you go" plan with Dish.  I currently pay $7 per month every month for the coach service since I already have home service.  But my local camping is done at campgrounds with cable TV and my long distance travels rarely go more than one or two months per year which would still be a bit less than the yearly fee I am currently paying. Last I checked Pay as you Go is about $40 per month.

bucks2 said:
Maybe when Fox and Dish learn to get along we can get rid of the erectile dysfunction commercials, the Lyrica commercials and some of the other medicine commercials that list all the possible side effects which sound worse than the original problem. Since I don't wear adult diapers we should ban any advertising of them. I don't like looking at commercials with abused and neglected dogs either so let's ban those. I also don't drink soda pop so we need to get rid of those commercials too.

You see, if I don't like it, and I'm tired of watching those commercials then they're wrong. I'm also ready to go thru the Dish lineup and cancel all the channels that I don't personally like. Because if I don't like them then nobody should have access to them.

Think about it people, everyone likes different things and if we all had "our" way, then nobody would be happy. You all have a choice to watch Fox or not if it's part of your channel package. You also have the choice to watch CNN, MSNBC, the GEM channel or the 24 hour shop til you drop channel. To say you're happy that someone can't watch a particular channel because you don't like it is insufferably self centered.

Ken
I sure hope that wasn't aimed at me? ???

Things are not looking promising in this battle of egos - both founders of their companies.  Ran across a good article that appears to be relatively neutral on the subject and is on a web site that I am not familiar with.  It can be read at: http://tinyurl.com/nd9cb7r

Today we start doing our homework on changing back to cable.  Last night I found that for $83 per month (plus who knows what equipment) and NO Contract on our local cable company I can have 95 percent of the same coverage I presently have with Dish satellite and internet.  Dish is costing $136 per month and will go up $30 more when the one year point comes up in June.  The savings would appear to quickly pay off any penalty fee.  I had that same cable company for the previous 10 years so I know that they can tend to frustrate you from time to time also but, as best I can recall, they NEVER withdrew a channel or network.  Our only mistake with them was having the home phone bundled in the package so when we lost the cable we lost the phone also which meant we had to use a cell phone to call in the problem.  Now we no longer have a home phone so that would not be a problem.

Bill N said:
Things are not looking promising in this battle of egos - both founders of their companies.  Ran across a good article that appears to be relatively neutral on the subject and is on a web site that I am not familiar with.  It can be read at: http://tinyurl.com/nd9cb7r

Today we start doing our homework on changing back to cable.  Last night I found that for $83 per month (plus who knows what equipment) and NO Contract on our local cable company I can have 95 percent of the same coverage I presently have with Dish satellite and internet.  Dish is costing $136 per month and will go up $30 more when the one year point comes up in June.  The savings would appear to quickly pay off any penalty fee.  I had that same cable company for the previous 10 years so I know that they can tend to frustrate you from time to time also but, as best I can recall, they NEVER withdrew a channel or network.  Our only mistake with them was having the home phone bundled in the package so when we lost the cable we lost the phone also which meant we had to use a cell phone to call in the problem.  Now we no longer have a home phone so that would not be a problem.
Wow!  I'm sitting here trying to figure out what you are subscribed to with Dish to have a monthly bill of $136.  My bill is $45/mo (will go up to about $68 soon) and I get more channels than I could ever watch (120 minus Fox :) ).  You must be a sports junkie or have several premium channels.

I've got the brochure in front of me right now.  For the first 12 months, it's $44.99 per month for over 290 channels. This is the biggest package. Then you can add on Multi Sport package for $11.00 per month, then a Outdoor Sport package for $4.00 then a Heartland package for $6.00.  That comes up to around $66.00.  You must have a lot of hidden charges!  ::) :eek: :D

Our Dish bill is normally about $95/mo, including the AT250 package, a Hopper, a Joey, and a VIP211k receiver. During hockey season, we add the Multi-Sports option, plus the Center Ice package. That brings our total to about $146 for the four months of Center Ice payments, and $106 for the rest of the hockey season. We're not on contract, own our equipment, and can start and stop our service at any time.

Our Dish is also about $95/month. Ours is not the highest or the lowest package. We get a few premiums, the music channels, local networks, and a whole bunch of channels we don't watch. But to get everything we want, we have to go with the middle level package which is where the 100 channels we never watch come in. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I have Dish. I get Fox news every night on the local Fox affiliate. Who needs the drama of 24/7 news channels anyway. Network news is mostly drama and hype, I don't know how many "news" stories I've been fully aware of days, sometimes a week or more before they hit the networks.

Fox is greedy, Turner and ABC caved because they got called on their bluff.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom