Sewer vent cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjf7g

As I have dug into our "new to us" class B, I have discovered yet another problem that can't be solved the same way I would solve it in one of our trailers. Here's my latest - how do I cap THIS sewer vent? By the way, while there is only one holding tank, there are two of these vents. They are both pretty close to edges or other obstacle:

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 74
Camping world and I'm sure other RV stores sell a universal vent cap. There are two metal fingers that extend into the inside of the pipe and grip the wall of the pipe. It looks like ACE Hardware also sells them.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18889396&KPID=15046321&kpid=15046321&pla=pla_15046321

Thanks - that's what I have bought for my trailers in the past, but this vent is smaller and has nothing on the inside for this vent cap to "bite" - perhaps it will stay put but I am afraid it would just fly off.  I didn't know if there was another kind of cap out there or not...thanks!

What's the pipe size? And what make/model of RV are we talking about?

There is a vent cap called the Cyclone that might work - it slips over the existing pipe and screws to the sides (you drill small pilot holes and install screws). Here's the install instructions: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-Cyclone-Sewer-Plumbing/dp/B003P64XU4

You might also be able to adapt to a standard size RV vent cap by using a pipe reducer (or increaser) bushing. Plumbing and hardware stores carry a variety for standard pipe sizes. Or use a rubber union and add a short piece of PVC pipe of a size that fits.

Gary RV Roamer said:
What's the pipe size? And what make/model of RV are we talking about?

There is a vent cap called the Cyclone that might work - it slips over the existing pipe and screws to the sides (you drill small pilot holes and install screws). Here's the install instructions: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-Cyclone-Sewer-Plumbing/dp/B003P64XU4

You might also be able to adapt to a standard size RV vent cap by using a pipe reducer (or increaser) bushing. Plumbing and hardware stores carry a variety for standard pipe sizes. Or use a rubber union and add a short piece of PVC pipe of a size that fits.

Thanks - there's not enough room around the pipe to install something like the cyclone.  I did not measure the diameter of the pipe.  I think I am going to get a standard cap and try to secure the metal pieces outside of the pipe by using a hose clamp.

This is a 1999 American Cruiser RE2000 class B camper.

Does it really need to be capped?  Looks like some kind of molded fitting to seal the outside of the vent stack to the roof.  What material might that fitting be made from?  Would the outside of the fitting be a standard pipe size?  If not, a close to size sleeve could be made to fit the outside diameter with a little lathe work.  If you are near by I could do that.  Dan

This isn't rocket science - just basic plumbing. Get a slip fitting of the size that matches the roof pipe, plus a bushing that changes to the pipe size you need for the vent cap you want to use. Cut a short length of pipe to match and add the cap.

Or you may be able to replace the existing outlet, which should be a flange on top of the actual vent pipe from the tank. Remove the caulk around the base and see if it is screwed to the roof, or maybe just stuck on with caulk. Here's a video that may help:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-uFrBNB4yI

When one of my vent caps went missing I walked into an RV store and said "I need a hat for a stink pipe" (What we used to call Sewer Vents in my roofer days)

He knew exactly what I needed and took me directly to the display.. IT FIT.
What I bought
Cute but ...well

Both links are to Camping world, not the store I shopped.

Thanks Rene.  Virginia is a bit "over there" from here.  The reason I suggested possible resizing is that the fitting on top of the vent in the pic looks like something which may not have a standard OD.  Gary,  that's what we always said about machining in general:. "It's not rocket science".  :).  Dan

This may very well be the most active thread I have ever started...hmmmm...

I just got this camper at the end of October, so I don't really have a history with it.  I have a plan - I am going to get a standard cap and try to secure the metal pieces outside of the pipe by using a hose clamp.

Thanks for the input!

There are also drop in (flat) grates that fit for plumbing, as well as round flat louvered grates for soffit venting that may fit or be caulked into place.

Also these little babies http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sweet-Air-Vent-Stack-Filter-VS-TT/203414047?keyword=drain+cap+grate

(i am having a McGuyver moment)

Sewer vent needs to be a "HAT" shape, because often the sewer pipe does not completely fill the vent tube, so rain falling in the vent can run down the OUTSIDE of the vent pipe and make mush of your walls.

In a "pinch" a piece of PVC to raise above the roof.
A Tin bean can that gives a inch all around the PVC pipe.
3 dry wall screws.

Match PVC to opening and glue.
Paint bean can to match the roof.
Drill 3 small holes equally spaced near opening around
the can edge and then as starter holes in the PVC.

Insert dry wall screws in the holes and tighten into the PVC.

Will work until you change it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom