I pulled the plug on CIS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim,

Jim Dick said:
I've been using Verizon's Express Net for a couple of years now. It sure is slick when you need access on the road. In fact, I'm on it right now!!!

I'll be doing the same using Verizon's ExpressNet 1XRTT once we leave home base here in Yuma.  I'll sure hate to lose my DSL line but definitely the Verizon 1XRTT connection is a whale of a lot better than dial-up. ;D

Bernie:

The Verizon stuff looks good.  I phoned them and verified that I have the "National Enhanced Service Access."  I've had the connectivity kit for years through three phones.  This phone does everything I need.  I've printed the instructions.  The only thing I might have is slightly old software, but I imagine access is access, and it won't need updating.  I'll experiment with the connection tomorrow.  I had to open a Yahoo email account to get the instruction file, so now I even have free email.  Don't know if Yahoo is desirable, but I have some options. 

Verizon's signal here in Mesa is pretty bad, but in Oregon their tower is right on the hill across from the RV park.  I can see the blinking red light at night. 

I also have wireless and wired networking available on my computer, but the campground in OR doesn't have it, and the RV park here has only a limited range.  Don't want to pack up the computer and haul it down outside the computer room all the time. 

Anyway, thanks for the info.  Now to see if I get it all to work.

--pat

Pat

I don't have Verizon myself so can't be too specific. You may need to download the latest appropriate driver for your laptop to get the most out of the phone. Once again, info should be in the tutorial.

Don,

I've been very happy with Verizon's Express Net. I'd rather use it than dial up but can't see paying the rate for unlimited service. :)

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth.

I had Earthlink for years and was happy but cancelled after I got cable.

Then we got Earthlink DSL after I retired and that comes with 20 hours phone access per month.

It has been useful several times when other alternatives we not available.

Several campgrounds that provide phone lines for laptops have a list of access numbers.  I've noticed at least once that the Earthlink number that the campground provided was the same as the Compuserve number and was not in the Earthlink listing.

So,... Earthlink seems to be as good as anybody else, phone access come for free with DSL (not for free), and if you have Earthlink and can't find a local number - try the local Compuserve number!

I too use Verizon Express, but coverage in OK, KS, NM, WI (Elkhart Lake, where I spend the summer) and others is non-existent. They've got these pretty little coverage maps; so little as to be useless. You have to be on a Verizon tower; not just any old digital service (which is fine for voice calls). Another thing to consider is their "New in Two" policy, where you can get a new phone free or at a substantial discount for signing up for another 2 years. But there is a catch - be careful which phone you get, for not all have Express Net capability.  A few that do are the LGVX6100, Samsung A650 and A670. The others don't have a Office Connect package available for them. This is from a tech-savvy guy at Verizon. The 6100 looks good, but has received very mixed reviews from "Best phone I ever had." to "Piece of junk!" What's a mother to do??? 

Cheesehead:  I've been using Motorola cellphones for about 3 years with the data connectivity kit to access the internet.  I downloaded the above mentioned instructions to log onto Verizon's internet service without needing an ISP.  I haven't done it yet, because I have access to a land line for a couple more months.  When I called Verizon to verify that I have the right service, the guy readily suggested that it's good for internet access.  This is not Verizon's very limited high speed internet service, which is available in a few major metropolitan areas.  Agreed you need to be in a location where Verizon can provide digital/data service.  Yakima WA is one of their affiliates, and there's no data service.  I imagine there are many others.  Another problem is Verizon's weak signal here in Mesa.  It's just awful.  They say they only guarantee service outside, so I hauled my computer out and set up in the street with no obstructing buildings.  Still only 2 to 3 bars.  Lots of disconnects.  So this year I paid for a land line.  The worst service I ever had was in downtown Chicago, where there is so much interference.

Now about those Packers...

Did you know that Chicagoans have two favorite football teams?  The Bears and whoever is playing the Packers.

--pat

Can't tell you how many times my phone never rings on an incoming call and ends up being a voice message, or it disconnects - seemingly at will - and I'm talking into dead space. Very frustrating. Regardless of which team you favor, you have to admit that the Packers/Bears matchup's are among just a few of the reallly good classics that harken back to the Lombardi era. The black and blue division just isn't what it used to be. Which teamis better? Look at the stats! :p ;D

Pat

Verizon theoretically has 3 internet services available; node dial-up, 1XRT and EVDO. Node dial-up is when you dial your ISP on it's local or 800 #, that is 14.4k max speed. 1XRT is the so-called back door internet approach and you dial #777 and access Verizon at a speed that is, on average, a little faster than land line dial-up. EVDO is Verizon's broadband only availble in certain cities and only with certain equipment.

You should never discuss 1XRT service with Verizon, some techs have been know to switch you to a data plan and charge you for data usage. It is called a back door approach because it is there but nobody acknowledges it. It is not supported by Verizon.

Some friends have had success in Mesa with a Wilson truckers antenna in improving their signal and getting decent data reception.

How did you know which football teams are my favorites  ??? ??? ;D ;D

Pat

Verizon theoretically has 3 internet services available; node dial-up, 1XRT and EVDO. Node dial-up is when you dial your ISP on it's local or 800 #, that is 14.4k max speed. 1XRT is the so-called back door internet approach and you dial #777 and access Verizon at a speed that is, on average, a little faster than land line dial-up. EVDO is Verizon's broadband only availble in certain cities and only with certain equipment.

You should never discuss 1XRT service with Verizon, some techs have been know to switch you to a data plan and charge you for data usage. It is called a back door approach because it is there but nobody acknowledges it. It is not supported by Verizon.

Some friends have had success in Mesa with a Wilson truckers antenna in improving their signal and getting decent data reception.

Bernie:

Have you been able to get the dial up to work on anything except a Verizon tower?

Jeff/Washington said:
Have you been able to get the dial up to work on anything except a Verizon tower?

Jeff

I don't have Verizon, I use Sprint. Can't answer that. I was only repeating about Verizon what I have overheard by users. My Sprint service, high speed, is strictly usable when on the Sprint PCS network. I thought that the 14.4k service on Verizon was usable whenever there was a dial tone.

The Verizon QNC is available anywhere on the Verizon network and also from some partner extended network towers.  I have used it in a Sprint area, but that was several years ago.  The 1XRTT service is only available from the Verzon Wireless network.

BernieD:  I tried the Wilson antenna.  No effect. 

So I can get the 1XRT?  I have the Mobile Office Kit, which I've been using for years.  I verified that my service has "National Enhanced Service Access."  The writer of the instructions regarding logging onto this called the service "Q2N (Quick 2 Net)."  I still need to install the software, but I'll wait till I give up my land line her in a couple weeks.

--pat

Q2N is the same as QNC (Quick Net Connect) and is limited to a 14.4kbps connection.  If your phone is capable, you can also use the 1XRTT service that connects at up to 144kbps (typically 40-80kbps) when in the Verizon Wireless network.  The phone number is the same (#777) but the logon is different.

Pat Alexander said:
BernieD:  I tried the Wilson antenna.  No effect. 

So I can get the 1XRT?  I have the Mobile Office Kit, which I've been using for years.  I verified that my service has "National Enhanced Service Access."  The writer of the instructions regarding logging onto this called the service "Q2N (Quick 2 Net)."  I still need to install the software, but I'll wait till I give up my land line her in a couple weeks.

--pat

Pat

Wasn't sure if you were in an area where the antenna would help.

There are further details in the Verizon Tutorial regarding the 1XRTT connection. You have to have your phone GIN enabled (this is from memory of seeing some of the comments on the internetbycellphone Yahoo Group forum, there may be other changes) and change some of the settings of your phone connection. I would strongly suggest doing this before you turn off your land line to make sure it works. I presume you have weekends free. Do it now and test it tomorrow, it won't cost you anything or any minutes. If you have any issues or further problems post them on the Yahoo Group forum. They have gotten hundreds of people going on the higher speed.

The land line goes away in a couple weeks when I relocate.  I use the cellphone during the summer 1/2 year.  I will read more from that Yahoo group.  My phone is GIN enabled.

--pat

Q2N is the same as QNC (Quick Net Connect) and is limited to a 14.4kbps connection.  If your phone is capable, you can also use the 1XRTT service that connects at up to 144kbps (typically 40-80kbps) when in the Verizon Wireless network.  The phone number is the same (#777) but the logon is different.

Ned:

It's the #777 that I can't seem to get to work on the other networks.

It's been a few years since I used QNC on a Sprint tower, but I recall the number was still #777.  The user name and password were different, ati and net, I think.  There is no guarantee that any data connection will work on other than a VZW tower these days.

Back
Top Bottom