I pulled the plug on CIS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was told by a party that had switched to NetZero because they have more access numbers available accross the US than anybody else. My sister uses NetZero but she is in SLC and never has to use any other access nbrs.  With the big DW dish we have not had to concern ourselves with access nbrs for a few years now.  You might want to check them out.

Pat,

>>When I get to Oregon, I'm going to experiment with a free Yahoo account and a Verizon hookup.  I'm told that the Verizon connection is twice as fast as dialing in to CIS, on the same cellphone.<<

The Oregon cost is notorious for poor Verizon coverage.  There are spots but it is far from good coverage. 

Just our experience,

Jim

Pat,

I have Verizon and use their express net whenever I'm in a Verizon digital area. I love it!!! Works very fast for email and forum messages. Still fairly slow for the Internet but it does work. The only problem is I'm limited to nights and weekends unless I want to use up my monthly minutes. :) I have heard their new GSM network is supposed to be really fast. Unfortunately it will take some time to deploy that network everywhere we need it.

I do a lot of traveling with Netzero and have never been unable to find a local toll-free access number. In central Vermont last summer the number was an AOL access number so they must be buying (or sharing) someone's network).

After years of CS it has been a great dialup alternative to broadband at work and the Verizon 1X network.

Just about all nation-wide ISPs buy their network access points from Worldcom/MCI.  That includes AOL and Netzero. It is not unusual for the access numbers to be the same - they distinguish who you are by the logon (which is why many of them have a unique logon script).

One reason I kept CIS another year is that my brother is one of my 7 IDs.  They use it somewhat extensively.  When I'm on the road with Verizon as my connection, they need to be offline by 9pm my time so I don't have to stay up too late to do my internet access.  The 7 IDs sound great until you find out no two can use CIS at the same time. 

--pat

Pat said:
One reason I kept CIS another year is that my brother is one of my 7 IDs.? They use it somewhat extensively.? When I'm on the road with Verizon as my connection, they need to be offline by 9pm my time so I don't have to stay up too late to do my internet access.? The 7 IDs sound great until you find out no two can use CIS at the same time.?

--pat

If you are using verizon why do you need to log onto CIS? You can use verizon as your ISP so you can be on the same time as your brother.

I just learned about the Verizon free service here a short time ago.  Verizon signal here in AZ is awful. Additionally, my CIS was paid up till June 18.  Finally, I need to learn how it works.  If I get comfortable with Verizon, I'll look into switching.  I wonder if the Verizon free service will last much longer.

--pat

Back
Top Bottom