Rant. :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

/Begin rant

I see that one of the sponsors of this forum is providing a product that allows one to illuminate their running lights on their trailers at night.

Like, do we need more light pollution?  Are we that sick and tired of the stars at night? Or do the buyers of these products not even realize that there ARE stars?  Are the buyers of this product the same ones that order outside speakers on their units so that they can entertain the rest of the area with Shania Twain?

I hope the buyers of both those products stay in the commercial 'on main street' commercial campgrounds.

/End rant....

Frank.

What good is it to have the running lights lit up???  Are people afraid their camper can't be seen by others pulling in at night?  Are they woried they won't be able to find their rig when they come back at night?  What is it?  Enquirering minds want  to know.

Really worth a discussion? You might be poking at a sponser that may very well be sponsering the very RV site you just posted on! Be careful.
Ads are kept at a minimum here. You didn't see any pop-ups, did you? Think again.

BTW..You spelled "Enquirering" wrong...

Thanks Mark. I don't normally weigh in on discussions about our sponsors, nor do I actively promote their products. Folks are free to buy or not buy our sponsors' products, and I see nothing out of line with this sponsor's ad.

Tom:

Not wishing to poke anyone in the eye.

Some forums that I belong to allow those that wish to contribute to the operating costs of the forum.  I would be happy to put my money where my mouth is.  I suspect that others would be too.  Would you be willing to offer us that option?

Frank.

Frank B said:
Tom:

Not wishing to poke anyone in the eye.

Some forums that I belong to allow those that wish to contribute to the operating costs of the forum.  I would be happy to put my money where my mouth is.  I suspect that others would be too.  Would you be willing to offer us that option?

Frank.

See the donate link on the main menu and please feel free to make it big!!

Jim

I am confused?  You have a problem with a product that is shown on and sponsoring the site?
That is definately your perogative..but then don't buy the product.  "Light Pollution"?? Really, I mean come on; what is the harm.  I thinks it pretty neat myself. ;D

I think it is a pretty cool product. I'll have to look further into it. only for trailer guys...

Wigpro:

See the donate link on the main menu and please feel free to make it big!!
Consider it done!

Frank.

OK, don't know what happened to the font, but I just sent $50.  Maybe not huge, but I am happy to help.  I've been with this forum since it was part of Compuserve, and I like it.

Can't believe I didn't see that donate button before....  :(

Frank.

Edit: Fixed font.

I can't believe they're selling them for $20.00. I made mine for pennies. Just take a piece of solid 12 gauge wire about 3" long. Strip off the plastic on both ends about 1/2". Bend then wire in the middle in the shape of a "U". Insert the wire in two of the holes of the trailer plug. It's the one's on either side of the key.

Frank B said:
Rene:
I think you missed the point.  :)
Frank.
No Frank, I know that the point was why would anyone want to turn on their taillights at night. It's just when I saw the price tag, I just about fell out of my chair and just thought I'd pass on a cheap way of making one if anyone was interested. That's all.  ;)

Someone else's rig, their property.
Just like paint jobs. They can do what they like.

Life is too short for me to care about how they enjoy life.

Rene T said:
I can't believe they're selling them for $20.00. I made mine for pennies. Just take a piece of solid 12 gauge wire about 3" long. Strip off the plastic on both ends about 1/2". Bend then wire in the middle in the shape of a "U". Insert the wire in two of the holes of the trailer plug. It's the one's on either side of the key.

Or, just use an automotive fuse.....

Attachments

• Car-fuse-automotive-blade-fuse-auto-fuse-15A1.jpg
    Car-fuse-automotive-blade-fuse-auto-fuse-15A1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 8
poncho62 said:
Or, just use an automotive fuse.....

Have you used them before? I don't think the blades would not be far enough apart and you would have to bend/twist them so they'd fit in the plug I think.  :eek:

Hey, I don't like it either.... if at a wooded campground or such..... buy hey, I can imagine a few good reasons to turn them on..... and some venues where it would be perfectly acceptable to me.... such as at a race or maybe a rally. Nothing wrong with selling a product that some folks might need.

Hey, folks sell radios, and even speakers to put on the outside of your RV.  I don't like that either most of the time.... but it has a place.....

A lot of folks are going to the LED light strips for outside their RV. Under the awnings, under the chassis of the rig, or just laying on the ground.  Some even change colors and blink.  Personal preference I guess.  The marker lights on the RV are usually way less bright than the LED light strips. 

To each his own. I don't mind either one. The ones that I have an issue with are the scare lights (flood lights) that folks sometimes leave on all night.  That can really light up your rig if you are parked next door.  I think it is often by mistake though. Sometimes you just forget stuff......

Hi All,

While I appreciate our sponsors, I support Frank B on the light pollution thing. Seems like a small thing but lots of energy is wasted in the form of over lighting. Few children have the opportunity to see the Milky Way any more as most cities have too much lighting. Poor lighting can cause accidents, assists criminal in crime and allows them to hide in spots waiting for victims caused by the light glare. Good lighting does just the opposite.

The city of Tucson has a lighting ordinance and violators are asked to shield, reduce or remove lighting that in not directed at the ground. Continue violation results in fines. The law is there to protect Kitt Peak Observatories.

While I support good lighting in order to be able to see at night, light glare, light trespass and plain old poor lighting takes away the enjoyment of a nice campfire at night. As long as what someone does, doesn't effect someone else, I have no problem with it, but if it effects me or someone else then it is no longer just their business.

See effects of light pollution below in links.

http://asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/archive/nightglow/states_night.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution

Back
Top Bottom