Registration Renewal...Gasp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oscar Mike

I just received my Nevada State Registration Renewal Notice and I nearly choked,

Registration $33.00
Gov. Taxes $1,683.00
Supplemental Gas Tax $421.00
Fund $20.00
Renewal $10.00
Grand Total $2,167.00 for the "privilege" of living in Nevada... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah, states that have some form of personal property tax on vehicles are tough on motorhome owners, especially before the value is depreciated much.  State legislatures typically view any vehicle that costs upwards of $40k to be a luxury ride and gets little sympathy when taxes are discussed.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Yeah, states that have some form of personal property tax on vehicles are tough on motorhome owners, especially before the value is depreciated much.  State legislatures typically view any vehicle that costs upwards of $40k to be a luxury ride and gets little sympathy when taxes are discussed.

The funny thing about deprecation though is that my motor home depreciates at a far quicker rate on the resale market than it does on the DMV rolls.

Ned said:
Time to move to Texas, John?

I have definitely thought of moving... Nevada is anything but retirement friendly.

Missouri has personal property tax, too.  However, it comes due at the end of the year regardless of when the license is due on the vehicle.  So, we have to provide proof our personal property taxes have been paid in order to get a license or renewal.  Along that line, I have a 2014 Winnebago ERA which is on a Sprinter chassis.  Since the County Collector goes by VIN, they have it as a 2014 Mercedes cargo van.  I'm not going to argue. ::)

Florida as well, along with no inspections.

Wyoming, has a prop tax, based on original retail, minus depreciation for 8 years, locking in at the bottom number. 

Oscar Mike said:
Grand Total $2,167.00 for the "privilege" of living in Nevada... :mad: :mad: :mad:

In Nevada, one of the largest items on that list varies from county to county,, You need to shop for a new county.. Clark County is one of the high priced ones for some strange reason.  Forget what the low price ones are.

Ouch.  John, is that like the property tax on an RV.  I was just discussing Nevada as a home base with Ardra.  Guess I can eliminate that as a possibility.

Surprisingly, NY State is quite cheap for motorhome registrations. The fees are weight based, but any passenger vehicle that weighs more than  6,950 lbs pays a flat $70/year. There are a dozen or so counties that collect a vehicle use tax along with the registration fee, but that only adds another $25 at most as I recall.

In Michigan I pay less than $400 per year for registration/motor home property tax (Since it is value based it is a tax).

Used to be we paid by the pound,, I suspect it's cheaper this way.

NY_Dutch said:
Surprisingly, NY State is quite cheap for motorhome registrations. The fees are weight based, but any passenger vehicle that weighs more than  6,950 lbs pays a flat $70/year. There are a dozen or so counties that collect a vehicle use tax along with the registration fee, but that only adds another $25 at most as I recall.
I thought the same thing.One tax or fee that we are not in the top 5 wow.But then on this side of the state were #1 in fuel prices :(

I'm really not sure in Minnesota, but I think license plates for MH are based upon value, but TT and 5er are not.  Just bought my new plates for my 5er-$28 for the year.  Binary Bob may know more about MH.

garyb1st said:
Ouch.  John, is that like the property tax on an RV.  I was just discussing Nevada as a home base with Ardra.  Guess I can eliminate that as a possibility.

I believe South Dakota is a no income tax friendly state to RV'ers.  I know a few full timers who make it their "HOME".  Ins and vehicle tax too. 

I kinda think Nev has no income tax.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom