Step goes in and out every time I open the door. Any clue why or how to fix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hurley

My automatic step goes in and out every time I open the door to my coach. There is a switch to disable it right next to the door but it does nothing. I've had the switch tested and it is said to be working properly. I just got it back from Camping World and their techs said it's probably a failure in the computer and that's a $650 part + labor. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? I would really like to keep the step out when I'm camping but for this repair price I will unfortunately just have to deal with it.

Edit by staff: changed message icon to topic solved

Here's a link to the Kwikee FAQs and that page has a link to the troubleshooting guide.

An alternate, low cost fix would be to add a toggle switch to the positive (red wire on the 4-pin connector) to open the connection when you're camping.  That would keep the steps extended until you're ready to travel again.  A word of caution, the same switch would keep the steps in and someone coming out of the coach could get a nasty surprise.  If you put the switch next to the steps on the outside, then it would reduce the chance of getting it wrong.

On my previous Brave, there was a switch by the door that one position it would do that and the other position it would stay out unless the ignition switch was turned on.

That's the way me Journey works too

I don't believe there is a $650 board (no need for any board). The steps should be wired so that they work as described when the ignition switch is on OR when the control switch is in the ON position. Someone may have rewired so the full time hot wire (should go to the switch only) is used rather than one that is hot only with the ignition on (e g they bypassed the switch.)

Ernie

Another CW tech who is just wrong! I could say a lot worse, but I'll refrain.
A complete replacement step isn't $650 (complete 2 step unit on PPL goes for $364). A typical control unit is under $100.

I would suspect a bad or broken wire connection or a bad control unit.
Using the Kwikee site you should be able to get the correct part number (if its not on the unit). PPL, among others, sells these parts.

I would not put a hard off switch in as it could lead to an accident if the step was in and somebody exited the Motorhome.

If the KEY is in the ignition, the step will do what you are saying itis doing. A Safty feature so you do not drive off with the step out. Is the key out of the ignition?  Does not matter what position the step switch is in....

Tin man said:
If the KEY is in the ignition, the step will do what you are saying itis doing. A Safty feature so you do not drive off with the step out. Is the key out of the ignition?  Does not matter what position the step switch is in....

Only if the key is turned on

I have a 2007 Journey, and it does not matter if the ignition in on or off. Whenever the key isin the cylinder, the step goes in even if I shut the screen door.

Works for me.. The book says it is supposed to do it that way. 

Jim

Back to the drawing board, my expertise ends with the Manual.

Sorry I could not help. But it seems the ignition Safty feature is the problem....but than I probably sound like a CW tech.

Will follow for a solution.....

Jim

John Hilley said:
Only if the key is turned on
I agree.  On mine the ignition over rides the manual switch.

It has to be getting power some where if it's opening and closing. So either the switch is passing power all the time or the wire that's supposed to go to the ignition switch is hooked directly to power. Has this step ever worked correctly? Is the step light on when it is out?

key in, key out, step switch on/off...it's as if there isn't any switch -- always opens and closes with the coach door. It's like it's wired straight to the battery and always opens and closes when the coach door opens/closes.
I'll be looking into it a bit more tomorrow night. I have received some good tips on this thread that I need to look into. I found a video link on the manufacturers FAQ page that runs through troubleshooting a variety of possible wiring problems. Will certainly post when I figure it out.

Could be the magnetic or push button switch on the door frame being stuck in one position. Pretty sure the electrical trouble shooting covers that too. Good luck.

It's a very straight forward design. Download the manuals and start from the step motor and work backwards. You will likely find one of several multi-pin connectors loose heading toward the ignition inhibit.

I installed a suicide switch to force the step in the stow position years ago and got pretty good at this logic

Tin man said:

Not true on my 2002 Adventurer.  No problem with the key in the switch as long as it is not turned on or to the ACC position.  Just being in the ignition does not affect step operation.

You guys are arguing semantics. It doesn't matter if the key just needs to be in or the ignition switch is on. Regardless of how it's derived, that engine ON condition is likely what's forcing the step into stow position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom