Step goes in and out every time I open the door. Any clue why or how to fix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On our original 04 Brave there is a fuse located on the fuse panel under the dash. Lift the dash and look on the upper right, I think, a yellow fuse. Mine had blown and I had erratic step operation. Replaced fuse and all worked properly.

Turn off the ignition switch

Open the door, observe the steps go out

Open the knife switch next to the engine starting battery

Now the steps will stay out until you close the knife switch.  Opening the knife switch will allow you to live with this until you fix the root cause.

on mine if you want to keep steps out you need to turn off the ignition, turn on steps, open the door and keep steps retracted for 10 sec, then you can turn steps switch off (well, as per manual, haven't tried that yet)

next week it's going into the shop for some other electrical upgrades (TV & Inverter). I'll let you know what the tech does with the step since he'll be looking at that too. I appreciate all the great suggestions and will pass them on to my tech (if he wants them) so it would hopefully make his job easier (on my wallet).

This is the way ours works too.

On my previous Brave, there was a switch by the door that one position it would do that and the other position it would stay out unless the ignition switch was turned on.

That's the way me Journey works too

PatrioticStabilist said:
This is the way ours works too.

On my previous Brave, there was a switch by the door that one position it would do that and the other position it would stay out unless the ignition switch was turned on.

That's the way me Journey works too

I notice you have a 1992 American Eagle, I am looking at purchasing one, may I or how do I contact you to ask you some questions about it?

John Canfield said:
Send them a Private Message.

I tried that, it says I am not able to send private messages....
is this a setting or do I have to be a member for longer...
I looked in help & FAQ and did not have any success.

You have to post a minimum number of public messages before PMs are enabled. If the email icon (envelope) is visible, you should be able to send an email.

thanks Tom...
it wasn't visible but appears now...
so I must have my minimum posts now
thanks a million!!!!

Finally got the step fixed. Sometime during the previous ownership the cigarette lighter plug in the dash was rewired to the boost switch and it kept everything in the dash 'hot'. This is also why my batteries were constantly draining, odometer was pickled, and dash light fuse was burned out.
CW refunded me for the misdiagnosis where they said I needed a new computer brain for the step assembly. Getting a second opinion saved me $500.
SO GLAD THIS IS ALL FIXED.
Now I'm sitting in CW lobby while they try and fix my Invisibrake for the 3rd time since they installed it... I doubt that I'll be back here again after this.

Glad you finally got things going your way, thanks for the update.  Now you understand why most people avoid Camping World service like the plague  ;) .

John Canfield said:
Glad you finally got things going your way, thanks for the update.  Now you understand why most people avoid Camping World service like the plague  ;) .

John, it's all in the luck of the draw just as it is with any other national chain.  My one major experience with CW was fantastic.  They installed a Blue Ox baseplate on our Chevy Sonic, installed the extra taillights and wiring, installed the fuse bypass and hooked up the car to the rig with the
Blue Ox towbar we provided and also installed the Patriot brake control that I had bought second hand just to make sure the whole system was working fine from stem to stern.  The only charges for labor were to install the base plate and tail light setup ($39 each).  The base plate install was really done professionally - even the tiny amount of grill that had to be clipped is almost unnoticeable.  I have seen other installs in our travels that looked like a butcher put them on. 

No, I don't avoid CW like the plague but I am darn watchful of anything I have any dealer, CW or not, install for me.  In this particular case, CW went way above and beyond the service required but it may have just been this CW store.  But I will admit that when dealing with some of the in-store personnel, I get the impression that they have never spent a night on the road in one of their products.  There also seems to be a huge gap between what they advertise in their monthly sales booklets (for online purchases) and how much the store people know about those specials despite the fact that they hand out those same booklets in the stores.

Back
Top Bottom