Workhorse 8.1L "Hydra-booster" leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanhui

Third day on the road and the MH is in a shop in Redding, CA. I had to press the brake pedal down to the floor and the braking is still very weak. The mechanic at a Les Schwab found out the "hydra-booster" (sp?) has been leaking with goop all over it. From what I can understand is that the steering fluid reservoir also serves as a primary unit for the braking system. With this leaking, the braking system is not getting the needed pressure. This mechanic recommended me to the All Wheel Alignment shop here in Redding, which appears to be a well-run family business specialized on RV.

Has anyone else had this problem before? My 2001 MH is a 8.1L Workhorse. 

Thanks for sharing any experience with this problem.

All Wheel Alignment is a Workhorse Service Center, you should be in good shape.

Fred

User name "oldusedbear" is all over the internet with info on these systems. Yours should not be powersteering connected, that is an earlier system. If hydro-boost loses pressure your auto park brake will fail in the on position. Bad if you want to go, worse if you're going.

Bill

Thanks, Fred and Bill, for providing the additional resources.

Having read the Workhorse safety recall 2009 letter and a few other links on the web, it only affects the W-series. Double checked mine, it is a P32. If there were recall for the P-series, please let me know.

On the Auto-park switch, mine seems to be working. It certainly did not close while the vehicle is running. A preliminary look by the mechanics at the All Wheel Alignment found the lower part of the hydroboost wet with oil while its upper part is dry and clean. So this unit may not be leaking after all.

I should have a more comprehensive report from the shop on Monday, which I will update here.

Back
Top Bottom