41st Annual Valley RV Show At South Bend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Greetings,

A little late to make a post about this show but if anyone is near northern Indiana, this show is going on today until 5 p.m. Costs $5.00 parking and $6.00 for each adult to enter the show. They have two levels of indoor RV displays from pop ups to the larger (and much more expensive) Class A's that look more like a house these days. See my link below.

I stopped off at the dealership I have been talking to in order to look at the Thor Axis RV.  I was given free complimentary passes so my wife and I didn't have to pay to get in. They have a newer floor model Axis, with an L shaped seating in the back and entertainment center. Those L shape seats do make into a bed but looks like you would have to put the kids in that area because it isn't enough for adults (well one adult would be fine). Rather than a couch up front by the kitchen area, they have a booth seating which makes into one of the beds and then the overhead bead above the driver/passenger seats in the front of the coach. This model is the 25.1

We still like the Thor Axis 24.1 which has the full size beds in back (or you can make one king size bed). We re-looked at the shower area. The Shower is O.K. for a normal sized person, but if you are tall or bigger around  ;D , then you might have some trouble. The shower curtain would be a problem when you shower as it looks like it would cling to you as you move around. A lady who came in to see the coach remarked about this same thing. I'd probably figure out a way to keep the curtain further out and away from you.

My wife doesn't like two things about the coach. First is the microwave oven is fairly high up, making it difficult to put things in or take things out after cooking. Her second problem is with the counter space. Not much of it, however you can put the table in by the couch and that would be space you could swing around in a 180 degree for bowls and pans etc. for space. Prices are pretty much what they were last year.

What we learned, first there is an advantage to just sitting in the RV's and waiting for people to come in and look. Often they will comment on what they like and dislike. This gives you an advantage of getting other peoples impressions of the coach you like. Many people don't like the fold out bathroom door. It folds over the whole bath area or swings out in an L shaped boxy area and enlarges the bath area into a pretty nice area. I personally like this set up, though the door is a little light and awkward in order to secure it to provide privacy. Door could also be closed to provide a noise barrier if someone is watching TV by the coach area.

I checked out some of the things that were commented on by Axis owners I read on the web. There is a sharp metal sheet they use to cover over the sink on the shower side. On the bottom of this sheet is a very sharp corner. Other Axis owners have commented that sometimes these are not cut well and pose a injury area if you don't address it. I can see where the shower is at, that the water proof wall could come unglued and the one we looked at were gaps for moisture to get into and cause problems. A little glue and caulking would be in order before use.

I realize this is an entry level RV and no matter which unit you decide on, you will have to do some work to make things the way you want them to be. Also you have to adjust to some things if the RV is overall to you liking. One RV viewer and his wife came in to the Axis while we were there. He had worked as an installer in the RV manufacturing area and had knowledge. He kindly warned me to make sure that you don't let your foot off the flush and allow it to snap up or you will have to replace the toilet. They apparently get lots of those back under warrantee. He also said to make sure you tighten your plumbing under your sinks as those vibrate loose when traveling then leak. He also said they shove a lot of units though to meet demand and often panels aren't glued proper, staples are missed or not put in right place. Apparently they want about 20 plus units done per day. I am sure he is right and this is typical of the RV industry. So it would be a roll of the dice if you get a good unit or not. However if you want an RV you have to take your chances. Probably better to pay someone who knows what and where to look and have them try out things before you buy. This could save you some pretty big dollars down the road.

A lot of nice units at the show and a good show to see RV's in the comfort of the indoors.

http://www.rvshows.org/ValleyRVShow.aspx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom