Cummins 6.7L horsepower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieBR

I've been looking to buy a motor home and have found some (2013/2014) have 300 hp rating while newer models (2015) have 340 hp, but both are the Cummins 6.7L engine. Why and how does the same engines differ? Can the 300 be tuned somehow to give 340 hp?

Yes they can. Other Cummins engines have the same sort of variations. It's pretty simple to limit the horsepower with a computer-controlled engine, and they can also limit or expand the turbo boost to adjust horsepower. And later models years often boost the power further as they tweak the design. For 2015, the 6.7L goes as high as 385 hp! However, I believe in the configurations used in motorhome chassis, the choices are 300, 340 and 360 hp.

I have a Cummins ISL 8.9L that generates 370 hp, while some of its sister ISLs can do 400, and later model years of the same engine offer 425 and 450 hp.

Thanks for the info. I figured it could be done via a computer chip. Do you know what is involved to make a change from 300 to 340 or 360 and any idea of cost? I assume my next step will be to consult a local Cummins dealer for this?

Usually Cummins likes to replace the engine computer to do it, even though it should be just re-programming.  Pricey, though they may give a trade in for your old one. They wanted near $3000 to do my ISL.  Ask a Cummins shop about it.

I'd be careful about doing that. Often the heat generated by the engine is the determining factor. The radiator, fan, transmission/oil coolers, etc are designed for a given power level.

That said, I expect one of the aftermarket "tuners" would accomplish what you want.

Ernie

Be carefull about tuners.  As said there is cooling requirements and most important the transmission.

Many get away with tuners in trucks.  But they do not have a heavy load all the time like your motor home has.

Back
Top Bottom