5th wheels and generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsb

Im planning on going fulltime in 2-3 years,as many I am having a tough time decideing between  5 er or MH, if I go 5er I will want a generator and I would like to go with a onan perment mount for several reasons such as theift,convienuse,but you don't find many used 5th wheels with gens so what do yall think it would cost to install,do you think the frount would need to be beafed up.
                                                                                                thanks bob

Larger 5W are sometimes "generator ready", meaning they have venting, heat shields, etc. in an area designated for a generator. And power wires run to that location as well. Still adding a permanent mount genset is going to be expensive. You need a fuel supply and exhaust system, both of which will be somewhat custom to the genset chosen.

Some people do a permanent mount in their truck instead of the trailer. It's quieter (for you, if not the neighbors) and doesn't use valuable storage space.

Full timers with fivers rarely have needmof a generator.  Just a lot of excess cost and weight with very little actual use.  A portable generator will do probably 90% of what you want with far far lower cost and way less weight

thanks gary,the only 5er I have seen on the web the gen was in the front and it seemed  like it would add a lot of weight fast.Maybe a portable one would work better,we have a Honda eu 2000,might buy one more and pair them.
ya donn I know most would go to parks with elect but we do a lot of boondocking on hunts and just not being around a crowd, there is a lot of great places out there off grid,we are just use to camping that way and just caust we are retireing I don't want to stop
                                                                              thanks guys

The front storage area in a 5W has the potential to add a lot of pin weight, but a 5W pin is heavy anyway and designed for that. Not a issue like it often is on travel trailers. You have to figure 20-25% of the trailer gross weight on the pin, no matter what.

Most generators you might install up front aren't much heavier than a similar amount of gear in that same space. Of course, if you carry a lot of feathers...  ;)

We have a 5KW mounted in the front compartment in our 5th with a permanent 14 gal marine tank mounted just outside the gen compartment. It's been there for almost 12 years and wouldn't be without it. The newer generator units don't even need a box because they come mounted in one, you just have to cut holes for air inlet, outlet and exhaust. Sure is nice to go in the trailer and push a switch and have power anywhere.

Denny

Roadhappy said:
Denny,

Can you add a picture of your set-up. 

Robin
Mines just a standard looking generator prep box I built with a Generac G50 mounted in it,  it's the third trailer that I've put it in. The fuel tank is from Cabelas with a sealed marine fill mounted in the small compartment above the generator. It's really hard to get a photo of it without unloading part of my basement. I also use a separate starting battery for it,  the fuel tank came with a sending unit so I installed a level gage by the fuel fill.

Denny

Roadhappy said:
Thanks Denny

If I was going to mount a new one I would look at one that is already is mounted in a enclosure eliminating the need for one built into the rig.

Denny

We bought a Honda 2000 and were thinking of getting one more to pair the two.  It would be nice to have an enclosure so we wouldn't have to worry about them being stolen.

I went to a RV show yesterday and looked at a Cedar Creek 5er that had an Onan mounted in the front compartment.  Unit was in a fully sealed box with an expanded floor for ventilation.  I think the hitch weight was at 2600#. Nice rig but didn't really like the $68,000 price tag. 

We boondock in Nat'l Forest etc and my Hondas do very well for what I need.  I have 3 grp 31 deep cycles with a 2000 watt inverter and have gone several days before having to charge the batteries.  However, I hardy ever use the AC.

Another thing to consider in this is fuel consumption. We go race camping with a friend. He has an on board Onan 5K in his motor home. I run twin Honda 2000s for the fifth wheel. He filled up going in and out for the weekend and his bill was $96. I burned a little less than 6 gallons. He has been trying to talk his better half into getting a 2000 for general use. As far as stealing them I keep mine in the bed of the truck with a heavy cable and lock. If someone wants to work hard enough they could steal it but it at least slows them down. You could look at a Honda 3000 if you want the remote start. Problem with these is they are heavy and hard to move around. If you put in the truck and leave that is not an issue.

I am assuming you are talking a long cable to run to the RV. We use a 30 amp cable. The generators will only put out 27 amps max. We run the 30 amp to the RV 50 amp cable and use the adapter there. The 30 amp cost half as much and easier to wind and store.

WE definitely wanted a generator and looked at installing one after market, but it turned out it was cheaper to order the camper we wanted and have the generator factory installed.  This also allowed me to had some other features such as double paned windows, wooden blinds, and a downsize to a queen bed that I simply couldn't find in any new model. 

I mounted a Champion (Noisy) 3500 watt generator in the bed of my truck - bolted down ahead of the hitch when I need electric the cord will reach from the RV to the generator and it has a RV Plug and remote start which is nice on cold mornings - set it up for remote start and make the coffee and have it turned on and my electric heater on low and when I wake up hit the remote key fob and the coffee starts and the heater gets warm...works great!

I sometimes park the truck beside the trailer to shield noise from my neighbors....but I run it minimally so usually not an issue!

I think the bed of the truck is ideal - if money is not an issue, two hondas would be the way to go, much quieter and when you only need one it is much quieter!

Good Luck,

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom