A question, Not a statement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a heartbeat.  I'd pay a premium to not have to listen to someone's yappy dog yelp for 8 hours when they leave it penned up in the RV when they go wherever they go.  And yes, your dog yaps incessantly while you're gone....if you say it doesn't, you're in denial....it does.  And it annoys others.

I like dogs.  It's their owners I usually don't like.

A campground in Dickinson ND had a 20lb limit and we were asked to leave.
We had a reservation no indication of the limit during our discussion about time and fees. NO notation on their website either.
It was a nice place with real nice people they did give us three days to find another campground.
They did us a favor, we ended up spending more time in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park what a wonderful experience.
Joe

I am a dog lover even though at the moment, I don't have a dog. Our last one passed away a few years ago.
That said we stayed at a CG last season where the family across the trail from us had a large breed. (Looked like a LabraDoodle).
The dog was kept on the run tether and barked nonstop. Even if it's owner (not master) was in a lawn chair right next to it.
I don't blame the dog as much as it's owner... obvious he wasn't bothered by it but had no consideration for others.
Being a dog person, I wasn't offended near as much as the other Campers in the loop were... some went to complain with no results.
Now a twist on the answer to your question: I think a CG that does not allow dogs should charge MORE. That's because people who are offended by dogs barking would be willing pay a little extra to be guaranteed to enjoy their peace and quite they desire.
Let the fun begin!  ;)

No I would not. As for nuisance dogs there are no bad dogs, only bad owners. The proprietor of the campground should be taking care of that problem by warning the owner then ejecting them if it continues. Ive only had one in my seasonal and I reported it. Owner thought it was cute. He was warned then ejected. Dogs must remain on the campsite at all times, no exceptions. Walking them within the confines of the campground is prohibited.  Its the owners responsibility to either train their dog or take the necessary measures to make sure its not bothering others. My Labrador is very well trained, he doesn't even need to be on a run as he will not leave the campsite, period. If he barks there is a reason and you had better be seeing what it is. He doesn't bark for the sake of barking or because other dogs are barking. People actually come to my campsite to visit him because he is such a pleasure. Even as an animal lover I'm not tolerant at all to nuisance barking. Having a weight limit is actually counter productive. I can understand that in hotels but not in a campground. I have found over my lifetime that small breed dogs are by far more likely to be nuisance barkers than large breed dogs and the top 3 most aggressive breeds in order are Dachshund, Jack Russell and Chihuahua. Pit bulls and Rottweilers are actually middle of the pack on aggression with Labradors, Golden Retrievers and Huskies as the least aggressive, none of these are small dogs.

Frizlefrak not all dogs bark when you leave them. Again this is the fault of the owner for not training them. I guarantee you 100% my dog does not bark when left alone. If he does its because someone who does not belong is sticking their nose where it does not belong. I don't need an alarm or worry about locking the door with 130 lbs of well trained dog waiting on the inside. I'm a very responsible owner. He is certified in SAR, therapy and winner of the AKC Award for Canine excellence for working with a Study at Rutgers university of the effects of therapy dogs and the mentally ill. He also received the Canine good citizenship award. I find your claim that all dogs yap and owners who think they don't are in denial rather insulting. Are there some that are like that, yes, but that goes back to irresponsible owners who should not have pets. All dogs can be trained, its just takes a little time and patience and the realization that they are in fact animals and not furry humans.

I would absolutely stay there. Indeed I would prefer it. And yet I, er my wife and kids have 3 dogs:(.

(You can tell who has to scoop the poop can't you)

Tin man said:
Would you stay in a park that did not allow dogs?????????

I faced the same dilema last summer and found a way around it.  With this method, if they refuse you, they are in violation of the federal Act regarding disabled persons and their attendant service animals.  See my post from last summer: ;D 

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,76458.msg694017.html#msg694017

JustinThyme said:
He was warned then ejected. Dogs must remain on the campsite at all times, no exceptions. Walking them within the confines of the campground is prohibited.

We don't fulltime and don't take our dog camping but isn't it a bit excessive to not allow the dog to be walked in the campground itself? I usually see leash and scoop rules and often see folks out walking their dog. No issues really, except maybe when two dogs meet--but even then usually a conversation starter at worst. Good exercise for both dog and human. I can't see taking a dog and then having to have it confined to a small campsite all of the time. Most of barking dogs I have heard are actually at a campsite or in an RV, and not out walking with their owner(s).

That said I do agree about the weight limit and that the smaller breeds are usually the ones barking the most. But I suspect it is more an insurance or perceived safety issue rather than noise, when such a limit is in place. Yes (some!) Chihuahuas can be nasty and mean. But I don't recall reading about them doing great harm or killing anyone.

Michael

If my dogs are not good enough for your campground,then my money and my family are not good enough for your campground...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom