1998 Allegro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

19beng98

Just bought a 1998 Allegro from a private individual. Unfortunately he never showed me much about it. Does anyone know where the inverter switch is located?

Had a '96 Adventurer.  There was not an inverter switch.  Everything was automatic, driven by the power unit, located under the bed in my unit.

Did you get the manual with the unit?

In many cases there is no switch to turn the CONVERTER on and off. Simply plug in and it should turn on. (It should have a breaker in the electrical panel that can be switched on and off. The breaker may be shared with other outlets). You can check if a converter is on and charging  or not by using a voltmeter across the terminals of the house batteries. If charging, it will read 13.5 volts or better. Be sure the Store/USE switch is in the use or on position. (This switch may be called something else in your machine though).

As an FYI: a CONVERTER in normally used to charge the house batteries and supply 12Volts to the interior lights etc.  It converts 120V AC (when plugged in)  to 12V DC.

An INVERTER is used to invert 12V DC to 120V AC to run a TV etc when not plugged in. You may have a small one for that purpose.

We recently sold a 1999 Allegro and it never had an inverter, which is not unusual for gas coaches of that size (32 feet). Our house battery-bank consisted of two 85 AH batteries, which, in my opinion, were not big enough for all but the smallest of inverters. It wouldn't be difficult to install one. The simplest can be had for about $40.00 and simply plug into a cigarette lighter but, other than small devices, they don't power much - chargers, very small TVs etc. Others are hard-wired and can power larger appliances.

Inverters should be sized to your battery-bank. If they're too large in relation to the battery-bank, they can drain the batteries quickly - especially if they're used to power larger appliances, or even smaller appliances for long periods of time.

Kev

Thanks to everyone for all the information. I'm beginning to think there is no inverter on my unit.

It is my understanding that there is no manual either for a 1998 Allegro. If anyone has a manual, I would deeply appreciated it if you would share with me where you got it.  Sure would be a great help to a newbee as were all of you were.

If you are thinking of a comprehensive manual like you get with your car, the answer is no. There is probably a fairly generic one that covers all the  Tiffin models for that year and not too specific as to the location of switches and valves, which varies by model, floor plan, and options installed. You should identify the make & model of your major appliances and find owner and service manuals for them online - most are available. See our RESOURCES area for places to find them.

The independent TiffinRVNetwork is a Tiffin coach owner group that has an excellent Tech Library you may find helpful.

You may have a small inverter that powers the tv only (maybe VCR/DVD too), so that you can still watch tv when no shore power is available. Sometimes these are hardwired to be always on, i..e the tv is always powered via inverter. Easy test is to disconnect the shore cord, generator off, and see if the tv turns on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom