What is a good internet speed test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

I want to check my internet connection.  What can I find a good speed test for downloading and uploading?

speedtest.net I have found to be reliable and consistent.  It will pick the best available server for testing.  Many other tests require you to select a server and there is no way to know if the chosen one is optimal.  Avoid Java based tests.

Thjanks for the responses.  I ran speedtest.net and am getting right at 20 on downloads and not quite 1 on uploads,

Has anyone used the speedtest  extra download  to repair or speed up my computer.. the test says I am only getting to 14 .. I think I need something, but am a little leery of downloading free fixes....

Lowell said:
Thjanks for the responses.  I ran speedtest.net and am getting right at 20 on downloads and not quite 1 on uploads,

Who's your ISP?

chaperall lite said:
Has anyone used the speedtest  extra download  to repair or speed up my computer.. the test says I am only getting to 14 .. I think I need something, but am a little leery of downloading free fixes....

I recommend avoiding any such programs, at best they do little or nothing to help and at worst they can cause severe problems.  Windows has more than enough built in tools to clean up your computer without going to 3rd party programs.  The only exception I do recommend is CCleaner, but even it has to be configured correctly.

None of those programs will affect your internet connection speed.

Ned said:
Who's your ISP?

I'm using Century Link Prism in Tempe, AZ.  I believe I chose 20 for the price plan when I signed up. They had higher speeds available at increased cost.

We use AOL for most of our stuff but it seems so slow.  If I go to the same web site using Chrome, it is much faster than AOL.

Lowell said:
I'm using Century Link Prism in Tempe, AZ.  I believe I chose 20 for the price plan when I signed up. They had higher speeds available at increased cost.

It seems you're getting just what you paid for, congratulations.

Lowell said:
We use AOL for most of our stuff but it seems so slow.  If I go to the same web site using Chrome, it is much faster than AOL.

The AOL browser is a known resource hog and really isn't needed to access AOL.  I've spent hours removing the AOL software from friends' computers, it's almost like malware or Norton :)

Funny that this subject should come up today.
  I am on Brighthouse cable with a 50 MB down and 5 Mb up. It normally runs at 55 to 45 and 3.5 up in tests.
However; this morning the down speed is fairly normal but the up-speed is down at .6 to .9. Never seen that before. Did the test on several speed-test sites and the were all about the same.

Wonder what is going on this morning.

No ISP guarantees an absolute speed, just "up to" some specified speed.

Yes,Ned, I know that.  In my case it may be that Brighthouse is doing maintenance during the switch over to 70 down at no extra charge.  I really don't have a need for super speed at all... I'm retired and have lots of time.

The ap on my cell phone is the OOKLA Speed test, seems to do a decent job.

I used to use this one: http://wugnet.com/MYSPEED/SPEEDTEST.ASP but at the moment it is showing a "Temporally not available" error.

OOKLA is also used by Brighthouse yet in a different format .

see here :>>>  http://speedtest.bhn.net/

Just a note:
Be careful with using the speed test programs on devices if you have a limited data connection as they can very quickly use up all your data.  I had this happen last year on a trip to Canada.  I ran out of data and when I checked it was the speed test app that had used most of it.

I use the popular speedtest.net and have also used internet frog. both seem pretty good and about the same results.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom