5th wheel hitch in 2012 GMC 1500 with max trailer tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailor68

HELP
I own a 2012 GMC 1500 4x4 crew cab with the "Max Trailer Tow package" and 6.2 gas engine.  In looking at the trailering guide I see under bumper pull a capacity of 10400 lbs.  Under the 5th wheel guide there is no published weight.  Does this mean that a fifth wheel is not recommended for this truck?
Thanks

Your truck will be fine for a very light fifth wheel. You will not fund a lot of fifth wheels that can be towed with a 1/2 ton truck, but there are some. I am not exactly an expert on the subject, but I do have some understanding, and I pull a 5er with my 2011 Chevy 2500HD.

First, you will want to make sure that you don't exceed the truck's GCVW. This is the weight of the truck + the weight of the 5er (GVWR) + the weight of everything being carried in the truck.

Next, look a the truck's GVW This is the weight of the truck plus all of the cargo. For this calculation, the 5er's pin weight (when fully loaded) will be considered cargo, since it rests in the bed of the truck. As a rough estimate, you take 20% of the 5er's GVWR.

In all of the calculations, don't forget the weight of the hitch in the truck bed, and all of the occupants of the truck.

Joel

The 2012 GMC Trailer Trailering Guide shows 5W tow ratings on page 14 for the Extended Cab model. The Sierra 1500 4x4 with trailering package is rated at 10,300 lbs.

However, you stated you have a Crew Cab and that's why there is no 5W rating. A Crew Cab 1500 has a very short box, about 5.5 ft and that is too short for safe towing with a 5W or goose neck. With the hitch mounted in the proper position ahead of the rear axle, the front of the trailer will be too close to the cab and will hit it in sharper turns. It is also less stable than a longer wheelbase truck.

I traded in a 2003 Chevy 6,0  2500 crew cab for  my new 2012 6.6  Chevy crew cab. I installed a fw hitch years ago in the 03  crew  with short bed and never had  a problem pulling 2003  28 ft fifth wheel. I'm looking at another fw hitch 20 lb Reese for 150 $ from my brother in law and i will be ordering the custom rail set for my  durmax .  I'm looking  for a 36 ft toy hauler  around 11000 lb and around 2000 hitch weight. My question is I hear of short bed and fw  may clash the cab . My 2003 short bed I set the hitch up 1 inch in front of the axle  . Are the new fw designed built  differently where its a problem  for the newer short bed  truck cab?

jerryg@deb said:
I traded in a 2003 Chevy 6,0  2500 crew cab for  my new 2012 6.6  Chevy crew cab. I installed a fw hitch years ago in the 03  crew  with short bed and never had  a problem pulling 2003  28 ft fifth wheel. I'm looking at another fw hitch 20 lb Reese for 150 $ from my brother in law and i will be ordering the custom rail set for my  durmax .  I'm looking  for a 36 ft toy hauler  around 11000 lb and around 2000 hitch weight. My question is I hear of short bed and fw  may clash the cab . My 2003 short bed I set the hitch up 1 inch in front of the axle  . Are the new fw designed built  differently where its a problem  for the newer short bed  truck cab?

It depends somewhat on the shape of the front of your 5er. The newer models have rounded caps and you are able to turn sharper without hitting the cab.  I  have a sliding hitch, but also have an older 5er with the older style front cap and need to slide my hitch back to avoid hitting the cab.  Is the hitch your BIL has a slider or fixed?  If it is not a slider you will need the newer profile front cap for sure and even then be very careful.

Thank you Kjansen. The hitch my BIL has is the fixed older  type I hate to pass on a grate buy ,a slider is the way to go . May be there is a adjustment on the head with bolts. Ill know more about the hitch this evening. We have look at hundreds of toy haulers and have found more 40 ft plus Fer's then 36 , it looks like owners are down sizing. I have a 30 ft toy hauler trailer  we used 1 time with  the old gasser for  the quartzsite rally his year. I have never pulled with the Durmax.

Back
Top Bottom