2000 Generac inverter generator at Costco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

There's a 2000 watt Generac inverter generator at Costco for only $499, I saw it there today.  They say it's 55 to 65 db.  Is this quiet enough for a campground?  I'm not sure how this would compare to the one in the MH itself, as I don't have a meter to tell, but it'd be nice to take one on a hike to the lake with me, and it's not very heavy, 50 lbs. 

Just not sure how loud 55 to 65 db is, if it's like people talking or a major sports event?

Any db measurement is useless without knowing what distance from the source the measurement was taken.

A comparison here to give a rough idea.
Like has been said distance make a difference.

Normal conversation at 3' 60-65dB

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Owned a Honda and it was stolen.  After That, i tried to poor boy it with a couple of lessor brands. Sold them all and went back to a Honda. Just MHO.

I have the two Honda 2000's and when connected together give 30amps. They weigh 47lbs and run about 5hrs on .9gal each. I use a very large chain connected to my axles or trailer hitch. I can carry both of them at the same time, more balanced.  They're 150lbs less than an Onan and run the whole trailer, I have only one A/C. I purchased a 6gal gas tank that connects to both and enables 2 day running. Great machines.

Jere and Laur said:
I have the two Honda 2000's and when connected together give 30amps. They weigh 47lbs and run about 5hrs on .9gal each. I use a very large chain connected to my axles or trailer hitch. I can carry both of them at the same time, more balanced.  They're 150lbs less than an Onan and run the whole trailer, I have only one A/C. I purchased a 6gal gas tank that connects to both and enables 2 day running. Great machines.

Ditto

Claimbuster said:
Owned a Honda and it was stolen.  After That, i tried to poor boy it with a couple of lessor brands. Sold them all and went back to a Honda. Just MHO.

Agreed. Honda is the best.

Yamaha is just as good if not a little bit better and cost the same. It has a fuel shut off so you can drain the carburetor by shutting it off the valve and running the generator till all the gas is used up, it has a fuel gauge and it has the cables to charge a 12 volt battery.

Re the Generac IX2000.. This is from an Amazon review of it:

I bought it for the "ultra quiet" nature and price. It's rated at 69dB, and wasn't too noisy at all [I used it for catering, at farmers markets and fairs/festivals].

I have never tried the Generac inverter line, but I did have (Still own but alas it grew legs) a Genrac 1000 this is an encased traditional generator, very nice and roughly as loud (And hungry) as a Honda 2000, but with a full 1KW of power.  I liked it, just enough to charge the batteries if dead.

I I had a spare 600 bucks, I'd get that IX-2000

This like other invertor type generators noise will be by how much load you have on it. I had one of these and it was quite as long as you had a small load on it but turn something on and it would ramp up and was not that good. The generator circuit board burned up after year 2. Went with the 2 Honda setup as well. They are better at high loads as far as sound. The guy next to me at a race I go too has the Champion one which is much like what you are looking at. I can hear his over mine at load standing next to mine. Just depends on what you are wanting and how much you are going to use it. May be hard to justify the extra $300 or so for the Honda but I have been running mine for going on 8 years and I run them at 5 to 6 race weekends a year. That's 4 days 24 hour runs. All I have done is change the oil and the plugs and they run like the day I got them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom