2005 Ford F250 Diesel four wheel drive,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thechap1

I've  located a 2010 Forest River fifth wheel travel trailer which has a GVWR 16,195.  My truck's GVWR is 10,000.  What can I do to make my truck "SAFE" to tow this travel trailer?

Can I put additional overload springs as well as air bags?  Would this work?  My truck also has an automatic transmission.

There isn't any way I can afford to purchase a new truck.

Thanks for the help!

Chap

Can't tell from the info provided. Need to know the truck's GCWVR (max combined truck & trailer weight), its max payload rating (how much weight it can carry), and the rear axle GAWR (max weight on that one axle. However, I can pretty well guess that the pin(hitch)  weight of a trailer that heavy is going to exceed what an F250 can carry weight-wise. A 16,000+ lb 5W trailer will place somewhere upwards of 3200 lbs on the hitch and that is probably more than the rear suspension can handle.

A 2005 F250 diesel 4WD in the Supercab configuration can tow a max of 16,100 lbs with no passengers or other gear in the truck. However, the 10,000 lb GVWR probably leaves only about 2500-2800 lbs carrying capacity, even with only a driver onboard. That's not going to be enough.

Thechap1 said:
I've  located a 2010 Forest River fifth wheel travel trailer which has a GVWR 16,195. 

In short, bigger truck or smaller trailer. 

As Gary mentioned, a fiver that heavy will put 20-22% of it's weight into the bed of your truck.  While we don't have the exact numbers we need, an educated guess tells us that trailer is well into "one ton" truck territory.....ie F350.  A SRW might be OK (you'd have to check the specs on the individual truck), but for that weight, I'd recommend a dually. 

Your problem isn't towing capacity....it's payload.

Sorry dude, you'll need a new truck. I just went through this myself.

The newer F250's and Ram 2500's are much more stout than the older versions.

Houston Remodeler said:
Sorry dude, you'll need a new truck. I just went through this myself.

The newer F250's and Ram 2500's are much more stout than the older versions.

Even then, the 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins has a payload of around 2500 lbs.  I bought one last year to pull my travel trailer.  While it has a conventional tow rating of 17,900 lbs, it would be limited to a fifth wheel of less than 12,000 because of the payload limitations.

A fiver this heavy needs at least a 3500, preferably a dually. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom