5th wheel hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZachZ13

Hello I just purchased my new 5th wheel and it wont be in till march so I am trying to get everything ready to go pick it up! I know there is a lot of discussion about what hitch is the best to travel with, but with that being said i really just wanted to know if anyone uses the trailersaver air ride hitch and if you can really tell a difference? So i guess my question basically comes down to do I spend a little extra money and get the trailersaver to make towing smooth and easy or do I just purchase a regular hitch. I will be towing a 41ft 5th wheel with a dodge diesel 3500 long bed dually.
Thanks, zach

In regards to hitches, the first question is how much are you willing to spend.  You can spend $700 to $2,500.

not worried about money just wanting to know what one is best for towing, and ride quality

It might also depend on how much you are going to tow.  If you plan on towing a lot, the Trailsaver could be a lifesaver.  Well, that may be a bit of a stretch.  Anyway, it will certainly be smoother.  I have tried to justify one for the last 5 years (as long as I've had my 5th wheel), but I just don't tow that much yet (I'm a "weekender"). 

We use the EZ Loader from Hitch Crafters. Very well built, heavy duty and full air. http://www.hitchcrafter.com/picts/100_0273.JPG

I just bought a 99 Nu Wa Premier hitchhiker. I put a B&W turnover goose neck ball and an Anderson goose neck mount in. The Anderson mounts to the ball in the truck and has a smaller adapter on the fifth wheel. Pulled it home with my 2013 shortbed 2500hd duramax and couldn't even tell it was back there. I haven't pulled a fifth wheel much but I have pulled a lot of goosenecks and there wasn't a lot of jerking and pulling against my truck. The mount comes out with a couple of bolts loosened from the ball in the truck and a pin. It ways about 70lbs so it is easy to remove and store to give your bed space back. It also has a 20000 lb rating. I really like mine so far. I went that way so I could pull a goose neck when I need too. The ball and Anderson Hitch with in bed wiring cost me about $1350 installed.

I use a TS3 and with out a doubt the best hitch I ever owned. I had a Curt Q24 on the same truck prior to the TS3 and a would never go back. I also built a rigid aluminum cover that assembles ands installs in minutes.

Attachments

• DSCN3743.JPG
    DSCN3743.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN3742.JPG
    DSCN3742.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN3744.JPG
    DSCN3744.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 54
Air ride hitch and a Mor-ride pin box....you will have all the possible nasties covered..

I went with the trailer saver BD3 hitch, also the camper has a MOR-Ryde LRE 4100 Suspension and MOR-Ryde pin box so it should tow like a dream! Thanks for all the help!

8Muddypaws said:
Anything but Curt.

Uh, I've been using a Curt for 5 years now.  Have not had any problems/issues at all.  Other than it's a heavy bugger.  But it's done what needs to do just fine.

I have never had a Curt.  But my best buddy has had two of them.  The first one failed within days of being professionally installed but we struggled with it for a long time thinking we were doing something wrong.  Not so.  The spring mechanism for the floating jaws was bad.  The replacement (at his expense) began failing to lock in about 2 months but we dealt with it's difficulty for a couple of years until it began to take nearly and hour to get it to lock.  Same problems getting it to release.

Since I'm the guy who helps him hitch/unhitch I'm the one who lost blood to the ?#%* things.  IMHO it's about the flimsiest and most poorly designed hitch on the market.

He's spent over $5000 on hitches in the last 3 1/2 years.  You wouldn't want to hear what he has to say about Curt's designs, customer service, and reliability.

He now has a Reese.  He's had one small problem with it which was fixed at no Charge.

I need some help (advice). I just purchased a 2015 Ford F150 w/ eco booster and a 5 1/2 foot bed. I am having a difficult time making heads or tails on what I am going to need in total of parts and brackets in order to install a sliding 5th wheel in the truck. The truck was ordered with the heaviest packages for towing that are available from Ford. Unfortunately getting details as to what is included in the package leaves a lot to be desired. For instance does the Ford have the factory installed brackets under the body of the truck with the holes already pre-drilled in the bed. If so then the choice of hitches is fairly easy. I will get one that utilizes the existing built in brackets. If not exactly what will I need. Brackets? Rails? Sliding platform? Hitch. I understand how all of this stuff works having towed 5th wheels in the past. I just never had to install the hitch and is seems to the more I read the more confused I get. I know I don't want an automatic sliding hitch as the camper I am buying has the rounded corners and supposedly allows for 90 degree turns. Even if it doesn't I don't mind releasing the latch to allow the hitch to slide. The 2015 is different from the 2014 for which there is plenty of information available. 

5th wheel hitch and F150 throws bunch of red flags. You don't have enough spring for the weight of a 5th wheel camper.

That is such an absurd statement. You should do a little research before spouting off like that. The truck has a payload capacity of 2800 lbs. and a towing capacity of 12,000 lbs. The 5th wheel has a pin weight of 1600 lbs. and only weighs 8500 lbs. with a total weight of 11,000. You might have inquired about that before responding. While you chug along getting 8 miles per gallon when you are not towing, I will be enjoying the 20 MPG I am getting with mine.

People come to this website to get some unbiased information not to be told that we are stupid because we don't think like you. I have noticed on this site that the so called "experts" always tend to minimize the towing capacities of 1/2 ton trucks because it doesn't coincide with their thinking. Please respond with facts if you have them otherwise why don't you keep your thoughts to yourself.

At our local RV show this month, dealers were flogging the "1/2 tow able" 5th wheels.. 

I have a RAM with a short box w/ towing package (and I installed pancake air bags) and never felt comfortable with what the RV dealers were telling me....

We ran the MX circuit for years and my bud bought a similar Chevy set up and a 5th ... and on his first outing..something happened and his rear window exploded...

Can you upgrade to a F250 before you take receipt ?

Richard, you must know something that we don't..the OP didn't tell us what rig he has purchased...and I agree with Glen.. Small box chevy/ford/dodge half tons were really not made to pull 5ths but rather TTs..

and that, is a biased opinion...show me one that isn't...

Thank you for the information. Does anyone who does not have a 1 ton truck or a freightliner have an opinion. Both of your vehicles were designed in the last decade. Times have changed and with improved carrying capacities, proper gears etc. and updated technology we have come a long way. I just traded a 25' travel trailer that I was pulling with a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder with a GVW rating of 5000 lbs. We completed a trip from Florida to Texas and covered almost 5,000 miles just as comfortably as could be. We decided to do more traveling and wanted something bigger in which we could spend longer times and not because it was difficult to tow. What we enjoyed most was the 22 miles per gallon we got when we were unhitched. 

You might what to look at Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch. At andersenhitches.com . They are a lot lighter and easy to remove. I pull a 16,500 trailer with this hitch. It will not add much payload either with pulling with a 150.. Some of those hitches can get heavy.

richardcharron said:
That is such an absurd statement. You should do a little research before spouting off like that. The truck has a payload capacity of 2800 lbs. and a towing capacity of 12,000 lbs. The 5th wheel has a pin weight of 1600 lbs. and only weighs 8500 lbs. with a total weight of 11,000. You might have inquired about that before responding. While you chug along getting 8 miles per gallon when you are not towing, I will be enjoying the 20 MPG I am getting with mine.

People come to this website to get some unbiased information not to be told that we are stupid because we don't think like you. I have noticed on this site that the so called "experts" always tend to minimize the towing capacities of 1/2 ton trucks because it doesn't coincide with their thinking. Please respond with facts if you have them otherwise why don't you keep your thoughts to yourself.
  Many diesels get 18-21 normal driving. You need to check your facts also. Also your pin weight is likely dry. They are always much higher. I have seen s-10s with a 5th wheel hitch on them towing. It would be comical if it wasn't so dangerous. 

Back
Top Bottom