towing fith wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anrv05

I purchased new fith wheel around 7000 lbs.I was looking at buying a 2004 crew cab chevy silvarado 2500 series with a 6.0 liter only thing is it is a short bed  6 foot.is this a problem or am i good to go!  thank you my first day on here. :)

Could be, but what is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of that trailer?  Look on the DOT plate on the drivers side front of the trailer.  It could also be listed in the maker's spec either as GVWR or as 'dry weight' plus maximum carrying capacity.

Also, is that 2500 a 4wd unit? 

A short bed is usually 6.5 feet and that's enough for a fifth wheel. Just be careful the first few times when you back up and turn - depending on just how where your hitch is mounted and the style of kingpin on the trailer, it may be possible that the front of the trailer can hit the back of the truck cab in a sharp turn.  Watch carefully until you are sure you know just how far the trailer can come around in a backing turn. [Going forward will never be a problem].

Any 2500 diesel should be able to easily handle a 7000 lb trailer, even if the 7000 is only the dry weight. You should use the trailer GVWR to  evaluate towing capacity, though. Sooner or later your trailer will be loaded to its GVWR and that's when the truck really has to be able to grunt and handle it.

Another option is a "Slider Hitch". I have a Dodge 2500 short bed and have the slider hitch. I have not had to use it yet, but knowing I can get another 12-15 inches of cab clearance is reassuring in a tight spot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom