convert truck camper to pull-behind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doberg

I am new to this group as I have just purchased a 97 truck camper today. I plan to completely gut it, re-insulate it and rebuild the inside adding a few custom things... My question is this: Is it possible to convert a truck camper into a pull behind camper? Also, is it legal to do this modification?

Thanks a bunch, Doberg

You would need a utility trailer with brakes.  Also, are you planning on building out the sides to give it a square foot print, rather than it's current teeter totter configuration.

if you have to gut it and rebuild from scratch, you could probably buy a small pull behind in just as good shape for what the axle and tires would cost.

I sold a truck camper that I had, to a person I worked with and gave him an 18' boat at the same time. He scrapped the boat and strapped the camper on the boat trailer and was proud as he could be.

Had a friend of mine who put his on a large landscaping flatbed trailer and added a generator under the forward overhang and additional water and closed it in and had room on the back for his 4 wheeler...he is very happy with it - the landscaping trailer is a dual axle with brakes!

Works fine for him...he does not license the RV part just the landscaping trailer....

Go for it - but agree with others, if you are going to gut it anyway - you could probably find a nice small tow-behind in better shape cheaper...

Good Luck,

Jim

Keep an eye on the overall weight because many states require electric brakes over a certain weight.

A friend and I went hunting out west that way for several years. We had a 20' trailer the we set the camper on and put one 4-wheeler under the front and one behind.  We had a very nice deck to set on then for evening happy hour.  One year we enclosed the front for extra storage and to protect the area from the weather and if I remember right we could still get a 4 wheeler in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom