Yukon XL 5.3 v. Denali 6.2 v. Ford's new 3.5 L v6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbro507

We're potentially in the market for a Yukon XL due to family size. Per mfg specs, there isn't a great difference in towing capacity between the 5.3 and 6.2. There is, however, a fairly large price difference  :)

Taking into account the various opinions on how much you should actually tow - lets say for the sake of this question that I plan to tow up near the "reasonable limit" of the Yukon of say 80% of the manufacturer's limit.

Anyone have any experience in how big a difference the "seat of the pants" feeling is between towing w/ the 5.3 v the 6.2? Dad always said there is no replacement for displacement. But for the price difference, I have to ask!

Unfortunately, I don't think I can ask my local dealer to let me tow my TT behind both during my test drives...  8)

And, since I'm here, I recently saw in trailer live's towing guide that the new Expedition goes to 9,100lb w/ the 3.5L v-6 which hits my curiosity even more.. I just can't imagine towing that much w/ a 3.5 but the prospect of better MPG when I'm not hitched has me thinking...

Thanks!

JB

I've got the 2011 F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost engine. It has a towing capacity of 11,600 pounds and the HP is comparable to a 6.7L engine. I used to own and tow a 20 foot campmaster toyhauler loaded with two full size Harley Davidson motorcycles with it and it would barely break a sweat. It would pull up steep inclines no problem even in overdrive. I averaged about 10 MPG while towing and around 18 MPG without. Unless your going super duty, you can't do much better than this.

Even the smallest engine will pull a reasonable trailer, it may just be slower up steep grades. The more important difference will be the payload capacity, (how much weight can it carry on the rear wheels), and wheelbase length. A longer wheelbase is a much more stable towing platform. A Ford Bronco may have a big block V8 but is too short and squirelly to be a good towing platform compared to a suburban or longbed truck.

Back
Top Bottom