Need Some Border Crossing Info...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Hey All,
Let me first say that I'm not asking for any opinions about traveling into Mexico.  What I do need is to find out what documentation we will need to cross the border?  We will be traveling in our MH with our dog.  I know that we will need our passports, but what about insurance?  Special Mexican Insurance?  Documents for the dog...just shot records?

I will thank you in advance for your help as there are 3 of us going down next month and I want to be sure that we've got our bases covered.  We are going down to Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco.

Mikie

Can't answer the other questions, but do not cross the border without Mexican insurance.  Get property damage and public liability insurance.  They don't care if you damage your own car but they'll "get" you if you damage someone else's property.  We used to get ours at Sanborn's which is an old insurance company and usually has offices near the border.  Drive carefully down there because, whereas we have the "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy, they are governed by Napoleonic Law and you are considered guilty until proven innocent.  You do not want to end up in a Mexican jail!

Also, if you have not been in Mexico before, don't be surprised if you encounter a roadblock about 60 miles down.  They might ask if you have guns.  Don't take any down there!  On returning, if you have any foods (meat, eggs, etc.) that you cannot bring back into the U.S., there usually is someone who is willing to take them to distribute to poorer people in the community.  They appreciate gifts of school supplies, food, and clothing.

ArdraF

To exit the states: (only If pulled in for inspection or to ask for permit) ID, Registration with name to match Owners ID. no firearms. Insurance is not required to cross, but you should buy it on your way out. this is supplemental to your normal insurance.
Depending on how far south you are going they may require you get a permit for the vehicle.
To Return: Passports, dog shots. and the normal stuff that is not allowed to be crossed.

You need passports and that is about it until you travel more than about 20 miles in.  At that point you need a vehicle permit.  They have recently changed where you get the permits if crossing at Nogales.  Your vehicle insurance is not valid once you cross the border and while it is not required I strongly recommend you buy insurance.  You can do this online.
Sorry not positive about pet laws as they too have changed.  Google for that. 
A very good informative site is http://www.ontheroadin.com
Fox
Come see us in Puerto Vallarta!  :)

Sam! said:
To exit the states: (only If pulled in for inspection or to ask for permit) ID, Registration with name to match Owners ID.

what if RV registered to LLC?

You will need a letter from the LLC authorizing you to take it to Mexico even if you are the LLC.  Also make sure you have a credit card in your name.
Make 3 copies of the following:
Driver's license
Vehicle Registration
Title (you may or may not need this)
Passport page with photo
You will need copies of your tourist visa which you get at the border but they will have a copy facility there.

You may not need 3 copies but it sure shakes them when you have one more than they ask for.  :)

Where are you thinking of crossing? 

Thank you all that responded!  I'll look into Mexican Insurance today.  Any idea what it should cost? 

"Fox
Come see us in Puerto Vallarta! "  Where in PV are you located?  We come to PV every year!  Absolutely love PV...Great food, Great weather, Nice People!  Can't say enough positives about PV!!!

Sr Fox said:
Where are you thinking of crossing?

thanks for the reply. i'm not planning anything yet, just gathering info as i'm living in mexico and planning to travel in US, but there is a chance of me getting back home on RV (which is not a good idea financially). anyway i need to decide till mid-Feb whether to get an LLC or register RV in TX

I got full insurance coverage for Mexico, from Lewis & Lewis Insurance, and was able to pay online and also print out the paperwork immediately. I have been doing with them for several years now, and it is a good, reliable company.  You can also buy liability only, and you can buy in 30 day blocks if you wish.

You do not need that permission letter translated. WE have crossed many times with  an LLC. But you might have it notarized. You will need to stop and get an FMM ( tourist permit) for each person in your unit.  Your vehicles requires a TIP ( import permit). The RV gets a 10 year permit and the toad or towed vehicle gets a 6 month.You will have to leave a deposit for your tow vehicle or toad but not the RV. Dogs are not a big problem unless you cross at Lukeville. But you do need a certificate of health. Enjoy!

You should have mentioned you are going to PP. The vehicle rules are a little different.

moisheh said:
You should have mentioned you are going to PP. The vehicle rules are a little different.

We are going to Puerto Penasco, so what rules are different?  Also, what should we expect to pay for these import permits for our MH and toad?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom