Keyless Entry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webber46

Hi everybody ! Am having no luck solving my problem with  this entry system. I have a 2005 Itasca Meridian 39k. Had to leave for three weeks, everything fine, all locks worked fine. Came home and none work. All fuses were checked and are fine( front panel above generator). Where do I look know ?

webber46 said:
Hi everybody ! Am having no luck solving my problem with  this entry system. I have a 2005 Itasca Meridian 39k. Had to leave for three weeks, everything fine, all locks worked fine. Came home and none work. All fuses were checked and are fine( front panel above generator). Where do I look know ?

There is a set of contacts that pass electrical signals from the door jamb into the door.  Our coach has four brass colored buttons toward the bottom of the door jamb that pass signals for the keyless system.  The buttons move in and out when the door is opened and closed.  As the unit came from the factory, the wires were just slipped on and kept falling off of the back of those little brass buttons, causing the keyless entry to stop working.  I added plug in connectors to secure the wires better and the problem went away.  Let me know if there is anything about this explanation that is not clear or if you want to talk on the phone.

John & Roger, Yes, I have the switches and fittings at the door and will check these out this afternoon and report back with my findings. Thanks for the prompt responses.

webber46 said:
All fuses were checked and are fine( front panel above generator).
When my system did that it was a 12v pop-out breaker rather than a fuse. I suspect your coach has the same type breakers for many of the chassis functions. Mine are on a panel in the bay under the driver seat.

Tom, before you disassemble anything try cleaning those little brass contacts that Roger mentioned. They have a tendency to oxidize and break electrical contact. For info, they also control the circuit that make your steps go in and out. A few weeks ago we were driving down the road and I could hear our steps going in and out and I was later able to trace the problem to those contacts. After cleaning them, the problem went away.

Kev

Paul, cheched all the breakers you mentioned, and they are fine. Kev, will clean the contacts and get back with you. Will try to operate the steps to see if that works. Will let me know if the contacts are the problem! Thanks again and will get back with the results.

The door contacts only affect the lock/unlock of the entry door (and dirty contacts are always suspect number 1.)  When I asked about your system, I was particularly wondering if your basement doors were remote lock/unlock.

John, I cleaned the contacts and still no power. And yes, I do have power compartment locks. With further investigation, I have found that the two start batteries were at 4.4 volts (DEAD). I put a charger on them and found that there was a dead short in one of them. I seperated them and could charge one of them and also found that the power locks would work. Will replace the two batteries today. Thanks to all for the help and sugestions that were offered. Now could use some sugestions on which batteries to replace them with seeing as whats in it now are 12 volt deep cycle (1150's). Don't think I need deep cycle for this application!

Ah-so, dead chassis batteries!  Glad the problem is likely the batteries and nothing more complex.  Deep cycle batteries for the chassis - yikes!  Pick out batteries with a very high cold cranking amps (CCA).

Thanks John, Will try to get the batteries today. Is raining today here in Ocala National Forest, so will wait to get to the batteries and will replace both at same time. And will get the highest CCA I can get.

webber46 said:
... Now could use some sugestions on which batteries to replace them with seeing as whats in it now are 12 volt deep cycle (1150's). Don't think I need deep cycle for this application!

The Built On Freightliner info for your coach call for Two 950 CCA @ 0oF (-18oC); maintenance-free (group 31) batteries.  More CCA would be even better.

Back
Top Bottom