Anyone Rv in Ontario and Quebec ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grassy

Folks,

In July, we are doing a guilt trip up to Ontario.  We were going to drop into the states via NB and back through through A-bay into Ontario. a nice leisurely run.

The game plan has now changed. We have to haul butt up and back which is going t make life a bit more interesting.

What i have always loved about traveling in Quebec and Ontario are the rest stations. I know the cops had probles with them a couple of years back but I hear all is ok now.

Are we allowed to boondock in them ?  That would save is the effort of trying to find a site while in motion...and shutting down early each night..

Thanks
Ian.

We're currently doing the reverse, heading out east from Ontario.

We've just 'Wal-marted' it whenever it was convenient. We're averaging about 3 hours a day driving, and go to a park when we need to do laundry or dump. We've stayed in Walmarts in Ottawa, Three Rivers, Montreal, Quebec city and now Edmondston NB. We've seem so many travel stops that look like they would be perfect for an over-nighter - large, full of trucks. I would be surprised if you were given trouble at any of them.

M

Mike,

Thanks.. I was under the impression that over nighting in them was not allowed...unless you were a class 8 that ran out of hours while on a haul..

We are hoping to hot Edmondston the first night and Cornwall the second night..we will beleaving from Ottawa and hope to get @ Sackville the first night ..we then are heading to PEI...

Where is your origin ?

Ian

We started in Waterloo - we're just leaving Edmondston right now :)

We're planning on taking the ferry eventually to the rock (in a week or so). We want to camp on PEI as well- any suggestions for an ocean-side park, kid friendly with wifi?

For PEI, I would head for Twin Shores. It has 2 sides, very kid and pet friendly, wifi and the prices in the shops there are not inflated.  You will be about1/2 hourish from Charlottetown and relatively close to Cavendish if you feel the need to go there..

I think it is the only site that is growing and prospering..

We have stayed there every year since '07 I think,,,

Folks are very friendly...

http://www.twinshores.com/

Cannot help you with accommodations on the rock...the DW has never been there so we plan to RV it in the next couple of years but Gananoque is our big trip this year...there is too much happening around here for us to leave this summer..

It is a nice warm day in NS now :)

ian

My wife's family is in Charlottetown, PEI. Last time we RV'd down from Ontario we stayed at the Cornwall KOA. Not exactly oceanfront as I believe officially it fronts on a river delta, but great water views, big sites, HUGE pool and only 20 min from downtown Charlottetown. We'll stay there again for sure.

IN MB, we've used and enjoyed Mulherin's Campground (http://www.mulherinscampground.com) near GRand Falls, NB. Family run place, quiet, and not far off the TransCanada Hwy.

I have overnighted one several occasions in the rest stops. Not sure if it's technically allowed or not, but there are usually a few truckers catching 40 winks, and as long as you don't go doing something dumb like running out the slideouts or the awning, etc, you should be fine.

MikeworX - we're based in Kitchener! Maybe we need to look into starting a Canadian chapter of the forum!  ;D

I am from PEI...Cornwall ?  Please.....unless he wants to hear traffic all night..and KOAs are really overnight places (I am a Member) and usually very close to highways..at least down here..  and unfortunately, Charlottetown has less to offer every year unless you are looking for places to eat..tourist numbers keep going down..kinda of sad really..

The last time we went over, we didn't even bother to go in..

Thanks for the tips in the rest areas..have to talk the DW into this...

@clemon - haha sounds like a plan :-D

We were just at Grand Falls today - boy the kids were impressed.

@ian - Twin Shores does not start up until June 1 so we'll have to find another place on PEI.

Darn.

Then there is the old standard ...Marco Polo land in Cavendish...

ian

Haha- looks like we'll be Wal-marting again then - they don't open until the 25th and we'll be on our way to the rock by then - thanks for the suggestions!

If they are closed..then I am wondering what will be open...long way to drive...

You can also stop overnight at the Flying J's. There is one on the west side of Montreal and one in Napanee that I know of.

He is a long way past Montreal by now, but.....

BTW, the FJ on the 540 (520?) is gone but then so is the highway, it is now renamed the 30!!

I was thinking (due to some language probs)  to stop on either side of Quebec..  I think there is a truck stop just after edmundston nb and one just after cornwall ontario

Looking forward to driving hwy 30..

Ian

Everyone on the road where we stopped in Quebec spoke English - it was never a problem for us. Don't let that stop you.

Nor for us...we have been traveling that route for years even though I haven't been across since the new highway 30...and we have run into some problems...I even used to speak a passable french..

This overnighting  not in an RV park is new to us...and the laws are quite different in Quebec than the rest of Canada,..

We are just way out of our comfort zone..

I had the nicest couple stop and help me one time just east of Montreal. They were on the way to go horse riding but drove me all over this little town to find the right size fan belt then went home to get an extra set of wrenches to help me change it and wouldn't even take gas money from me.

Does anyone know of any municipalities/town/jurisdictions in Ontario where you are allowed to live in an RV on your own land (without a house)? Thanks so much in advance for any responses - would love to find a place to be able to do this!

Interesting enough, about 7:30 one night in NB, we were refused entrance to a RV park  that we booked at..Apparently, Class As  and one tons were OK but not class 5s..so back on the road..getting desperate and passed a wally mart with a couple of class As in it...it was a fun night..  and the die was set..

Stayed at one wal mart in quebec...  more rigs there than some of the rv parks we stayed at..

Some disadvantages but if you are on route... talk about an education this trip....

That's great - glad everything was OK!

We're now in Banff, Alberta. The Walmart we stayed at in Medicine Hat had 18 rigs the night we stayed!

Back
Top Bottom