I have heard of this happening, but not to me!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaaybird

Well, went out one weekend without a surge protector on the RV.
The site we went to had crossed polarity.
Burned up:
Microwave
Generator Control Board
A/C Control Board
All wiring
and a whole lot more.

Cost to insurance company= $6,500.00
( They did not want to fight campground, just went as comprehensive)
p.s.  have one now

Sad to hear your problem. I hope you can get it fixed for what the insurance wants to pay. I tried to get by but it cost me a circuit board and some other parts for the splnde.
Bill

Houston Remodeler said:
The ground and a neutral were crossed, but more likely a 110v was wired as a 220v

the reverse polarity they speak of could also be the positive and negative wires were reversed on the 110 AC circuit,  or the 110 AC was connected up as 220 AC with two out of phase 110 positive lines.

ground and neutral are pretty much the same electrical point and can actually be reversed without any damage.

Rene!
Have one now ( Progressive)
"Locking the barn door after the cow rund away"

Love having Farmers RV Insurance.
Paid all except deductable that shop wanted.
JB

Took over 4 months. Just took on shake down cruise a week ago Saturday.  Alls well
JB

now i'm thinking whether to get nice surge protector for about $500 or 4 100Watt solar panels instead... I'm used to heat and not planning to run AC :)

Will cheap SP work? Like this one for $100: Technology Research 44270

The Tech Research 44270 is what most call the "Surge Guard" brand.  The 44270 is what they call their "entry level" product (per their web site.)  If you do a search on "Surge Guard" you should get a lot of info and opinions.

You need to compare features and decide if it's acceptable to you.  Look at joules, features, warranty etc.  Surge protectors and such are pretty much a you-get-what-you-pay-for product. 

Personally, I looked for more than just surge protection when I bought mine.  The better units will also check for mis-wired connections, low voltage, etc which are much more common than just a surge due to a lightning strike or other issue with the power company.  Brownouts will destroy your stuff (especially motors) and are quite common. 

One of the reasons a lot of people (myself included) went with a Progressive product is the warranty.  Most postings say that if the Surge Guard does it's job, its now a paperweight and you need to buy a new one.  The Progressive unit is quite often repaired under warranty.  So again, a higher cost but a better feature (warranty.)

Will say this... ANY is better than none as long as you know what it will do (and not do) but compare specs. 

I have a device which I plug in to the pedestal first which checks for correct/incorrect wiring before I plug my rig in. I believe this will protect me from everything except power surges. Those of you that know about this electrical stuff - should I take it one step further and purchase one of the surge protectors?

Marshall, see my earlier reply to Frank.

You've got a good start with the pedestal check, but as you say no surge protection but also not from a more-likely brownout low volt situation.  Those are quite common especially in summer when people start cranking the air.

Personally, I would get something more.  Jaybird (the OP) talked about $6500 damages and 4 months to repair.  A $200-300 protector is pretty much a one-time purchase (if has a good warranty) and gives a lot of peace of mind.

JMHO.

Regarding filing as comprehensive....

IF the campground was indeed at fault (Not a nearby lightening strike for example) your insurance MIGHT just go after the campground,,, After all, they are in the business of making profit, and paying your claim, out of their pocket = LOSS.

i think i'll go with cheap $100 option and extra 300 solar watts on the roof. will just make sure with some sort of tester that polarity is good.
otherwise i'm looking at $500 surge protector/voltage booster for 50A which is expensive. If I'm not going to use all the appliances at the same time, can I use 30A service all the time? those protectors are 30% cheaper for 30A

Marshall212 said:
Ed,
Do you use the portable or hardwired? Can you tell me which model number you use?
Thanks

Marshall, I chose to go with the Progressive 50amp portable.  EMS50PTC if I recall correctly.  At the time I knew I'd be trading RVs in the near future so I went with a portable.  Plus I figured if it did take a hit down the road and I wanted to get it fixed under warranty it would be easier than uninstalling the hardwired version.  The hardwired version is a cleaner/elegant way to go, but the portable just suited me better.  I already had a 50amp extender cord so I'm able to keep the portable in the bay (out of weather and fingers) and just run the extender cord to the power post.  Just how I did it, your mileage will vary...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom