I have heard of this happening, but not to me!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. But this is a really good thread. I had no idea anything like this could happen at a park.

frankazoid said:
i think i'll go with cheap $100 option and extra 300 solar watts on the roof. will just make sure with some sort of tester that polarity is good.
otherwise i'm looking at $500 surge protector/voltage booster for 50A which is expensive. If I'm not going to use all the appliances at the same time, can I use 30A service all the time? those protectors are 30% cheaper for 30A

You are looking at the Cadillac version at $500!! Keep you eye out for sales of either the SurgeGuard or Progressive models  and do it properly for a lot less. I cannot see why limiting yourself to the 30 amp models if you have a 50 amp machine is much of an advantage, just to save a couple of bucks. Do it right or not at all!!! The portable unit is, more than likely, a one time purchase!!

RobertB said:
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. But this is a really good thread. I had no idea anything like this could happen at a park.

This happened at a Elks Club parking lot. It could also happen at a campground but I think it may be infrequent but who wants to take a chance. I think power surge is the biggest issue and could happen anyplace.

I hope it wasn't Santa Maria Elks, space #2......... That pedestal had a problem in November, was reported and the office seemed uninterested.

Ken

Marshall212 said:
I have a device which I plug in to the pedestal first which checks for correct/incorrect wiring before I plug my rig in. I believe this will protect me from everything except power surges. Those of you that know about this electrical stuff - should I take it one step further and purchase one of the surge protectors?
You need protection from low power as much as surges. Probably more damage done from low power than surges. this is what I am using.
http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv
Bill

frankazoid said:
i think i'll go with cheap $100 option and extra 300 solar watts on the roof. will just make sure with some sort of tester that polarity is good.
otherwise i'm looking at $500 surge protector/voltage booster for 50A which is expensive. If I'm not going to use all the appliances at the same time, can I use 30A service all the time? those protectors are 30% cheaper for 30A
This is not a good place to try and save a few pennies. One incident could cost you more than twice the cost of the surge protector. I use The portable 50 amp unit now and it can be used on a 30 amp service.
http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv
I use to think if I was carful it wouldn't happen to me but I learned differently.
Bill

so i'll get cheap option now so it'll protect the RV and i can throw it away later. anyway i'll do my first trip hopefully in March and then will see how it's gonna work. i'm aiming to boondock most of the time (yeah i know that one night in camping can burn it all) so might invest first into solar.
besides i feel like that Monaco I got going to be a playground for me, will likely to get something else in a year/two, so don't want to install all the hard wired stuff now, but for sure will do that later

i've found that Progressive Industries EMSHW50C Surge Protector  costs 400 on amazon and 315 on rvupgradestore so i might just go with it despite hardwiring and price. i really want all the best stuff :)

$305 here:  http://rvsafety.net/proddetail.php?prod=EMS-HW50  with free shipping.

Anyone know where it may be cheaper?

bucks2 said:
I hope it wasn't Santa Maria Elks, space #2......... That pedestal had a problem in November, was reported and the office seemed uninterested.

Ken

Almost!!!!!  LOL

Fresno

I just ordered a Progressive Surge Protector 50 Amp Portable EMS with Integrated Display (EMS-PT50C) from RVSAFETY.NET.  I also ordered a 30 to 50 Amp adapter and a 50 to 30 Amp adapter.  The Progressive Surge Protector was $315.00 and each adapter was $25.00. Free shipping. Ships out of Texas. Can't wait to get it and start using it.

Rene T said:
I just ordered a Progressive Surge Protector 50 Amp Portable EMS with Integrated Display (EMS-PT50C) from RVSAFETY.NET.  I also ordered a 30 to 50 Amp adapter and a 50 to 30 Amp adapter.  The Progressive Surge Protector was $315.00 and each adapter was $25.00. Free shipping. Ships out of Texas. Can't wait to get it and start using it.

Very good idea Rene.

I purchased the Progressive portable 50 Amp surge protector because my 5vr is 50 Amp. I also have a TC (truck camper) which has 30 Amp. I called Progressive yesterday and spoke to a engineer. He said I could use the surge protector on my TC as long as I have the proper adapter. I purchased a 30 to 50 Amp and a 50 to 30 Amp adapter so I'm ready for any situation. 

Back
Top Bottom