1993 Gulf Stream Tourmaster generator slide questions HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2cmefly82

Hey all! I just bought a 1993 Gulf Stream Tourmaster. It has a Onan 7.5 DKD Genset (diesel) that supposedly slides out from the front... Problem is I can not figure out how to operate the slide. I really don't know if it's on a motorized slide where I push a button to slide it out... Or if it is just a latch that I open and then pull on... I am lost and just can't figure it out. I have looked all over the internet and even called Gulf Stream to no avail. I would assume that maybe there is an option for both? I mean if the generator fails one would need to gain access to it with out power so I would think there would be more than one way if the power slide out fails... I also would like to know if it is safe to run the generator while driving and any other experiences anyone has had with this coach. I would eventually like to install a system that will auto start the generator once the batteries get to a certain level. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated, but I would really like to figure out how to get that slide open. Would taking it to Camping World help?

Attachments

• rv.jpg
    rv.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 53
Look in a bay door that is very near the front of the RV close to the generator.  Often there is a pull latch that will release the lock; then you pull the slide out manually.  They can be heavy and stiff; but they do pull out.

I have not heard of any generator slide mechanism that is motor driven; but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Marsha~

High end coaches typically have powered generator slides, usually hydraulic but sometimes motor & gear. I don't know about the Gulfstream Tourmaster, though, especially one of that vintage.

I will check and see if I can find a pull latch in the front bay area's. I have all the manuals, but none of them say anything about how to gain access. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the electrical system so that the generator will auto start when the batteries get low?

Ok so I have checked all over and it appears there is no lever in any compartment to open the generator slide. What I did find was a switch in the stair well that makes a clicking sound where the generator should slide out. I climbed under it and couldn't figure out where. I had someone push the button while I pulled on the slide to no avail. I called the chassis manufacturer and they say it has an actuator that should operate the slide... The thing must be jammed or locked or maybe fuse blown... I don't know. Either way I still can't get it out :(

If it's got an electric linear actuator to move the generator in and out, it should be relatively easy to determine if the actuator itself is working (as long as you can get to it). They've only got two wires going to them and you just reverse their polarity to move the generator in or out.

To test the actuator, disconnect its wires from whatever they're connected to - there's probably only two wires. Then run a set of jumper wires from the batteries (or any good 12 volt source) to the actuator and see if the actuator/generator moves in or out. If they initially don't move, reverse the polarity of the wires and try it again. If nothing happens, the actuator may be bad. If the generator moves when you apply power to the actuator, you'll know the problem lies elsewhere.

Other causes could be a bad ground, poor power connection or a bad connection in a solenoid or relay, since it seems to have one in the circuit (the clicking sound you heard). At least this will tell you if your actuator is working and we can go from there.

Kev

(Forgot to mention... be careful when working near the actuator and generator. If they move when you apply power, you don't want your fingers - or other body parts - in the way)

Dear u2cmefly82 and others,

I just bought a 1992 Tourmaster and have the same question... how to open the sliding aux generator.  Did you figure out how to access the generator compartment?  I have looked all over for a release mechanism and crawled all under the RV and not been able to find how to get the aux generator to slide out.  The slides / rails are easy enough to see, but I have not been able to fine any release mechanism or motor control.  I don't think the generator opens electronically, rather I think it just slides out once I can find the release... but am guessing at that.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim

I just saw the last reply. So Let me post some info that might help the next person. The generator slides on the early tourmasters have a Manuel slide but they install a hydraulic ram that pushes the slide out when the latch is released. The latch is operated by a switch in the stairwell. Mine was broken and the previous owner had put a very hidden ratchet sysop to keep it closed. I will post pictures below as I am still trying to find parts so I can ditch the ratchet strap fix. Hope this helps and if you happen to know where to find these parts please share. Thanks!

Hello, We just baught a Gulf Stream 1996 is great condition eccept for the Genertor slide which will not work with the switch on the front panel on the staircase. We do not ear a click when we activate the switch. We know it qas working as we saw it being open before we baught it. We did try to see if it was a burned fuse in the front side compartment and everything is fine. Would there be another place to look for? How can we open it manually if we can?t get the switch to work? Help, we are desperate to make sure the oil os ok to continue using the generator. Also, does anyone know where we can find better instruction on the Gulf Steam Tour Master better than the instructions available from manufacturer?

Maybe try having someone kinda push in on the slide while someone else pushes the button repeatedly until it releases. The only other way to open it would be to get underneath it and use a screw driver to release it from the solenoid. If you saw it working then it most likely is something simple. Make sure your 12 volt system is on and if you think the switch itself might be going bad maybe take it out and touch the wires together and see if it works.

I have a Tourmaster '96 with onboard Onan mounted on a slide in the front...
The in house mechanism to slide it out failed on the previous owner. He resorted to manually pulling it out when in use. Since it is held in place by the failed mechanism he drilled a hole on each side of the mounting frame and inserted bolts from top down to keep it from sliding forward and out while driving.
Have no idea if maybe this was a common hack but I thought it was worth mentioning here in this year old thread...

Has anyone ever figured this out?  I have a 96 Tour Master and when I press the switch in the stairwell it just clicks.  I've found the sales literature for my model year and it mentions a safety catch but I cannot find this catch anywhere. 

Attachments

• Generator.jpg
    Generator.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 12
Hi everyone.  I have the same issue in being able to release and get the generator to come out.  I have release switches in the stairwell for the cargo doors, and switches for the lights.  There is one spot where the switch or whatever goes there is missing.  Perhaps this could be it.  Does anyone have a diagram or photo of that cluster in the stair well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom