05 Silverado 2500hd wt and possible new trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idahobrett

My wife and rv dealer is trying to hook me up with a different rv.

I have went over and over for 3 days will my truck work with the RV.

I have a picture of the door decal from truck.  RV link.  Any help would be  appreciated. 

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2011/Used/Keystone-RV
The link above has the  M-326-MKS

For my truck please see pics of door sticker and of net picture from
http://www.carsdirect.com/2005/chevrolet/silverado-2500hd/specs?isInOptionsPageTab=false&trimA=USB50CHT304B0&trimB=USB50CHT308A0&trimC=USB50CHT308D0

Attachments

• truck_Vin_TOW.jpg
    truck_Vin_TOW.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 05_silver_6.0_2500hd.jpg
    05_silver_6.0_2500hd.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 34
Too much trailer for the truck. You are looking at 12.000 lb loaded which translates to 2400 on the pin. Upgrade the truck or scale back your expectations and look for something that scales under 10,000 lb loaded. Empty weight is meaningless to you.

using the same guides as the trailer your too big

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/Chevrolet/SILVERADO-2500-HD-PICKUP-3-4-Ton-V8/Crew-Cab-LT-4WD/Specs

sorry but you need to trade that pussy in on a new 1ton your wife wont mind - she wants a new trailer (it worked for me lol ;D)

Roy and Steve, thanks for your imput im at work. Im printing this and taking it home.
Thanks for your input.
Brett

ps Brett where are you in Idaho - we are in Calgary and come to Sandpoint area all the time we have friends in Liberty Lake and love Priest Lake awesome area

Hey Steve were in Rigby its 300 miles south. SW corner.  less than 100 miles to west yellostone and jackson hole wyo.  thanks.

Love Idaho....that's some beautiful country....I'd move there if it just weren't so damn cold in the winter....  :)

The NADA Guide is not consistent on the weights quoted - I've seen them show both GVWR and empty (dry) weight in their specs.  If that 9978 lbs is GVWR, you are OK, though marginal. If it's dry weight, you are way short on truck max tow capacity.

The Truck Payload indicates it can handle the pin weight of a 12,000 lb trailer (2400-3000 lbs of pin weight).

UPDATE: I found a 2011 Keystone Cougar brochure and for the M326MKS it shows a dry weight of 9920 + carrying capacity of 2045, for a total of 11,965 fully loaded. TOO MUCH for that truck! Well, maybe not IF you leave the wife at the dealership with the salesman and don't put any beer in the fridge or water in the tanks when you go RVing by yourself..

Truck has a 9200 GVWR, 3042 each rated tires.  Depending on configuration it can really scale ready to go around 7500 pounds.  Meaning real life payload close to 1700 pounds.  There is simply no room for towing a fifth wheel that grosses out over anout 9000 pounds.

Thankyou for the research Gary and Donn. I really appreciate the time taken to look at post and help with the numbers and posts. 

We told the dealer no on that Rv. And he wants us to look at one thursday that is 8400# empty.  I might have to take some days and look into diff truck. Which would mean no rv upgrade . 
Does airbags help a rating in anyway ?   
And also if I pulled a RZR on a trailer behing RV would that go against the rating weight ?

The 2500 truck with the 6084 RAWR won't have any trouble carrying that trailers pin weight. The 2500 GM truck with the 6.0 smallblock are very light weight  (6200-6400 lbs) which gives them that 3000+ lb payloads.
I doubt you will like the 6.0 gas engine towing performance in the hills and high wind areas with that much trailer. Now if the truck had the Dmax/A then no issues.

Air bags will give the truck more load carrying ability. The 2500 won't need air bags for just 2300-2400 lbs of pin weight.
I pull a 11200 lb 5er with my 2500 Dodge/Cummins. Great combo.

I would not put that much on ours but to each their own. Air bags do not increase the load capacity, they only level the truck and improve the ride.
Friz, I love what I have seen of Idaho. Have cousins in the Grangeville area that I have never met so that is a good excuse to go back.

RoyM said:
I would not put that much on ours but to each their own. Air bags do not increase the load capacity, they only level the truck and improve the ride.
Friz, I love what I have seen of Idaho. Have cousins in the Grangeville area that I have never met so that is a good excuse to go back.

Only time I've been there was in 2010 and fell in love with it.  We came down from Bozeman, Montana through West Yellowstone, then down through Rexburg, Pocatello, and then down through Utah.  Some fantastic scenery there and the people were very friendly...

Back
Top Bottom