2012 vs 2015 F350

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnSabbatical

I'm debating between a low mileage 2012 F350 (7k) for $48k (plus I'd probably take out a 75k extended warranty for $2k)
vs.
a brand new made to order 2015 for $57.3
Both are duallies. Both are pretty fully loaded, roughly equal, at least with the stuff I care about, leather seats, moon roof, etc.

I expect to be towing a fifth wheel weighing in at 15,500 fully loaded.

The (new) Ford salesmen, who really wasn't high pressure, said the 2015 has improvements in the axil options and has better horsepower and is, of course, new.

Do you think new and improved is worth the about 8k more?

Not for me. But is that $48k right? Seems high to me for a 3 year old truck no matter the low mileage.

Kelly Blue book and other online tools suggest the 48k is on the low side, given all the stuff the car is loaded with even without the low mileage.

go old not new lol i say that because the 2016/17 will be all new and they really haven't improved the 250/350 in about 10 years and the new F150 is a pretty truck UNLESS you like the old body style which is why i bought a 13 Chev - i don't particualy like the new style chev/gmc truck and the frame was completly redesigned in 2010 the 15 F350 and 250 will be dropping like a rock price wise really soon just my 02

I'm a New vote.
I always worry someone traded it in because they were having issues, considered it a lemon, etc...  I know that is not the case alot of the time, but has just been my mindset.  If I can afford it, I will always go new.

Funny story: Years back I picked up a used CC F350 because at that time I could never afford a new one.  I was the third owner.  Second owner worked at Ford (mechanic) and got it from the trade in, but I think got himself in financial trouble.  One day, I met the original owner as he recognized the truck.  He told me the truck was strong as heck but he had little issue after little issue that made him mad and he went to Chevy.  He laughed and admitted he must have bad luck because he was on the second Chevy in about as many months and it was going in for transmission repairs....lol
I never had a lick of trouble with that truck... :eek: 

I'm a vote for the 1 to 3 year old used. One loses a lot in depreciation just taking a new one off the lot. I've always made out ok doing this. You may want to rethink the extended warranty also. If you're really set on getting one, shop around other places besides just the dealer. You may get a better  price/coverage elsewhere. The finance guys really love to sell extended warranties because they can make a decent commission on them. They can also work with the price of the coverage a bit too. The more they charge for the warranty, the more in their pocket.

Is it diesel or gas?
Ford Diesel engines over past 10 years have changed significantly, and you will find the 2015 to have significantly more torque and horsepower over the 2012. $9K doesn't seem like much of a difference in price considering the age and mileage difference, plus the new one comes with a warranty...I'd go new..

3 model years difference...and only 8k apart... I wouldn't even look at the old one..

My understanding is that the exhaust brake on the 2015 diesel is much more effective that previous model years.
But that is just info from my research.  My 2015 F350 is due to be delivered next week. :)

I went new myself.  The 6.7 is a total beast.  The new 2015 has a bigger turbo, new injectors and has 440 hp with 860 ft/lbs torque stock.  No need to beef it up just buy it and use it.  They hold their value well as you can see so if you are planning on selling in a few years that helps.

Vinceherman do you know when yours was built?  Mine was built 1/27 and I am just waiting for it to arrive at the dealership.

Elkhounds said:
Vinceherman do you know when yours was built?  Mine was built 1/27 and I am just waiting for it to arrive at the dealership.

I do not.  I have the VIN and the dealerships expectation that it will be delivered next week.
Online, I found instructions that let you print the window sticker for any vehicle using the VIN.  There are instructions to look for the build date on that sticker.  The area where it says to look is blank on mine.
:eek:

Did you get your build date from the dealership?

Yes and no.  He told me it started 1/26 and that is what the window sticker shows.  He has a contact at the plant and told me if rolled off on the 27th.  It's sitting at the plant yet waiting to be shipped.  Just a waiting game now.

If you use this link and put your VIN after the = sign you should get the window sticker.

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=

Under the TOTAL MSRP there is a box that says item#.  Under that box is a series of number and the last 6 should be the date it started to build.  I have heard it can take up to 20 hours start to finish so it may be finished the next day.

Used. I found my current truck online private sale in 2013 with 9432mi on the clock. Literally owned by a little old man oh wait he's only a couple of years older than me, anyway what could be wrong with it. When I picked it up it looked brand new still only needing minor repairs that I found out are covered and all I have to do is submit a bill to be reimbursed. A less used truck will/should still be covered. A list of repairs will show up at any dealership including service and oil changes. Watch the tires and batteries. Good luck

OK, last post about my truck and then I'll let the conversation drift back to the OP's question.
I did take a look at the window sticker, and it does have a manufacture date of 1/29/2015.  Can't wait for it to be delivered!

In case you want really new...

Just spoke with the Ford dealer.  The 2016 F-350 order window opens March 16.  Production starts May 26.  Delivery 3-4 weeks later !

Bob

So you can be driving a '016 in the first week of April '015.....

That just does not sit right...

grassy said:
So you can be driving a '016 in the first week of April '015.....

That just does not sit right...

Nope.  Production of the '16's starts end of May with 4 weeks after that to get it.  Still June seams early but they all do that.

Back
Top Bottom