black and white negatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wthibeaux

I have some black and white negatives on 120 film, 2.25 inches each side. My sister scanned them into her computer and then downloaded them onto a digital SD card. I took the card to Walmart and inserted it into their photo machine but the machine messaged that there was a problem with sizing. I then put the card in my digital camera and tried to view the images. The camera indicated that there ere no images stored. I really would like some prints made. Any ideas?

I sure don't know of a single photo shop....
I used to do a fair bit of film photography, just ameteur stuff.
Used to spend a lot of time at the local camera shop, Sam's Camera Shop, in Williamsburg VA.  There was Sam, and another gentleman that worked there, can't remember his name now, but those guys sure did give me lots of help and advice.
I used to like that they could do a lot of post processing while developing to do all sorts of things with my pics.
I suppose you can do a lot of that still, with digital, but not nearly the artform it once was....
I got rid of my film stuff when it came nearly impossible to get decent film for it.

I'll bet there's something wrong with the scan itself.  Not knowing what the scans are, it would be hard to say....
Anyway, I'll be there are some online photo labs you could send them to.
Or perhaps a local college might have a photography class with a lab.
Good luck.

What format are the scanned images in, JPG, PNG, TIF, BMP?  Perhaps you could attach one to a message here and we can take a look.  From the sizing problem I'm guessing they're BMP (bitmaps) which tend to be very large.

Since these are scanned negatives, you'll need to do some processing to reverse the images for printing or you'll just be printing the negative image.

120 film was most often a square (1:1) format.  That may be part of the problem.  (Remember the old Hasselblad adds, Square is where it's at)

Not knowing how the images were scanned I'm guessing they have ready been inverted to a positive.  If you're going to print a bunch of them it might be worth buying a printer capable of photo printing and doing it yourself.  I'm partial to Canon printers and even the inexpensive ones make pretty decent photo prints.  Of course the ink is where they make the most money, but it's still cheaper than running to Wally World for large projects.

I just threw away a high end HP printer that was supposed to be one of the best B&W photo printers made.  :eek:. Now I wish I hadn't.  It died from not being used enough and I wasn't going to pay for new ink on the oft chance I might want to use it again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom