WDH - Specific Questions - friction control vs lift brackets; head adjustments;

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arch7

Looking at buying my first TT, this one a 1999 Jayco Eagle 376 FBS (37'6" overall length), mfr says it weighs 7500lb.

Got a 93 F350 460ci, 7.5, manual trans. no mods except for about an inch thick steel plate running across the frames above the rear axle someone put in for a gooseneck. Rigid suspension. The 3300lb camper i have in my profile picture just leveled the truck out, otherwise the rear end sits a bit higher.

Anyway, looking into these WDHs, I see a lot of variables.

3 specific questions for you pros:

1. I'm wondering what the difference is between the lift brackets with chains and the friction control brackets. With sway bars each side of the hitch, do the friction brackets really add that much more value over the lift brackets with chains??

2. Head adjustment - traditional washer style vs. serrated washers vs. block style washers? Only difference seems to be time and ease of install. Thoughts?

3. Cams - worth the extra few hundred to install these at the spring bars? Can I add cams to a traditional WDH?

I'm leaning toward the CURT 17063 Round Bar Weight Distribution Complete Kit - 1400 lb. Tongue Weight Capacity and adding a second anti sway bar to it.

I will be pulling the trailer max 6x per year, each time about 400-1000 miles each way. Otherwise it sits. At times I will have my 500lb motorcycle with some gear in the truck, but won't be going over 12k in load of course.

I know most of you will recommend I get the fancy dual cam dependent control anti sway systems that are over $500 but I simply cannot afford that before I am scheduled to pick up the trailer

Thanks for your help!!

I'm guessing that 7500 lbs is the trailer dry weight, cause that's awful light for a 37+ footer. You really need to plan for the loaded weight, which is likely to be substantially higher.

Seems to me your question is academic, since you say you can't afford the better quality anti-sway system (Reese Dual Cam, Equal-I-Zer, E3, etc.). But did you know you can get the Fastway E2 hitch for under $400? It's not quite as capable as it's big brother Equalizer, but it does have built-in sway control.
http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/shop/e2-hitch/

I personally feel that the friction sway control is a distant second choice to any hitch with internal sway control. The main reason is that friction controls are seldom adjusted properly, and even if they are initially, that adjustment changes with road dirt, wear, and other use-related factors.

You can add the Reese Dual Cam system to another hitch model that has cam-action spring bars. I don't think it can be added to that Curt you mentioned, though.

Gary,

Yes it was sort an academic question. I found the fastway ones, I'm glad you mentioned them. That is an option for me. I may be able to afford the higher priced ones, I may not. I may swap out a fastway or Curt for a Equilizer down the road. So its good to know and thank you for your knowledge.

Yes 7500 is dry weight. I am thinking 10,000 as the max loaded weight. I mean 2,500 pounds, I don't think I would add that much. Traveling I would have the water tanks empty etc. Is that looking through rosy glasses? Should I plan for much more weight? Is the MFR understating the dry weight?

I think 12k would be doable with my truck and the banks power system added, 1200lb tongue weight, worst case scenario. Just not screaming down the road at 75 of course.

Is it worth adding the cam system if I have a built in anti sway like the fastway E2?  Well I guess I couldn't add that anyway because no chains on the fastway right?

Better to have the friction brackets with built in anti sway in the swing bars or the dual cam system with the lift chains?

Another option is Curt's built in anti sway WDH for $375. Fastway is similarily priced

http://www.amazon.com/17500-TruTrack-Trunnion-Distribution-Control/dp/B00O46ZO02/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423752866&sr=8-2&keywords=curt+trunnion+weight+distribution

http://www.amazon.com/Fastway-92-00-1200-2-Point-Sway-Hitch/dp/B0071L48Z4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423752922&sr=8-3&keywords=fastway+weight+distributing+hitch

The Fastway is rated for 12,000lb but the Curt for 10,000 lb.

And then the other question I had was what about the adjustable hitch ball? Do I want the one that can rotate up and down or should I just get the one you have to add washers to to move it around? I don't understand this part of the hitches. I guess some are much easier to get set up and hook up trailer?

Thanks very much!!

Here's another combo, http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Pro-Series/49587.html , http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lippet-Mobile-Outfitter-Straptek-Weight-tension-technology-kit-335852-/281253613237
This is an inexpensive setup that works very well for me.  The adjustable head lets you set the proper weight distribution.

I found the equilizer 4 point 12k hitch for $450 so I'm going with that. Thanks all! Everyone saying go equilizer go equilzer on this forum and others may just be saving me a major disaster down the road!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom