EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: TV problem  (Read 1891 times)

Utclmjmpr

• ---
TV problem
« on: February 12, 2015, 06:12:21 PM »
  For the TV Guru's,,, when watching TV in my motorhome either powered by the inverter or the power pole, my TV will blank out and show a lost signal panel when the wife starts the microwave.... Here is the rub, NEVER will it loose the signal during a COMMERCIAL!!!>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: TV problem
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
I know nothing about TV's but it sounds like the microwave is drawing so much juice that the TV senses it and sort of shuts down temporarily until the microwave gets going. The opposite of a power surge if that makes sense.   :o ::)  Did you try it while a commercial is on?   :-\
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:25:12 PM »
 Rene,,how would I know that it does NOT occur during commercials if I hadn't experienced it.>>>Dan
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 06:45:41 PM »
Rene,,how would I know that it does NOT occur during commercials if I hadn't experienced it.>>>Dan

So I take it that you have tried it during commercials. Just had to ask because if I didn't someone else would have I think. If that's the case, I don't know. Just trying to help.

An idea: How about unplugging your TV and plug it into a extension cord and plug that into the 20 AMP outlet in your Campground pedestal or a different outlet in the RV but not the same circuit as the microwave? That may sort of isolate it.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
  I understand why its doing it,,,,,,,,,,,I don't understand why commercials would be exempt.>>>Dan
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
      Albert Einstein.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
If the TV shows the lost signal screen the problem is most likely not the TV but the antenna amplifier or satellite receiver or whatever the signal is coming through.

Maybe the microwave is creating enough RF interference to mess things up but if so there's something seriously wrong with it.

Whatever it is it's not normal.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 07:05:20 PM »
There are several possible things.

The microwave drawing too much power is possible, but Id put it kind of far down the page

More than likely the microwave is either leaking (Which by the way is dangerous and may be actionable as well, More on that later)
Or the electroincs in the microwave are generating RF interference (Television is, after all, video radio)  enough to blank the signal

As for it never happening during commercials... Well that, is training,, Train her to only hit COOK or START when the commercial starts.

Leakage.. Technically the interior of a microwave is called a reaction chamber,  The chamber is supposed to act as a Farady Cage,  This is a type of cage that keeps all Radio Energy either inside, or outside.  Microwaves are very short and do not need a hole all that large to escape.

Some microwaves I have seen have some seriously large holes in the cage... Big enough to scare me

You can test for leakage 2 or 3 ways,  A quick test is with a florcesent tube,, It will light if held near a leak. (If it's bad enough)

The next test involves a microwave leak tester which works much the same way

The final test involves professional test gear..

But it need not be leaking,, Just RF from the electronics side (Which is outside the cage to begin with) is enough to knock out a TV in a weak signal area.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »
I'd go with the rf interference cause. As to why program's and not commercials;  they sre different signals in many cases. That is; the tv video is often copy/receive protected where the ads are transmitted in the clear.  Common forms of protection often modify the signal and depend on the tv/receiver to restore the modified part. No one cares about protecting the ads!

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »
I would go with Ernie. Try different power source or add some filtering to AC line.
But maybe your Smart TV objects to the programs you are watching. ;)
Bob
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »
 I wish they would object to the commercials I have to watch.>>>Dan  ::)
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
      Albert Einstein.

Hosted by Over The Network