Replacing decals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KarenMac

I have a 2007 Montana fifth wheel and the decals have mostly peeled off in the four years it's been in FL. I now know that Montanas are known for that. The owner of a new one told me that Montana is using a different process and that the decals are supposed to stay.

Does anyone know if replacement decals from Keystone would stay better?

If not, could I get some other kind of decals put on that would stay better?

Or is the problem with the siding on the coach itself? There are lots of other RVs (other brands) in the park and they don't have the problem.

Thanks for any help.

The problem is Burlington Graphics, the company that made the decals.  At some point, probably after 2007, Keystone changed suppliers.

There's a number of naked Montanas around, the new decals are not cheap.  I've talked to a couple of owners who spend a few dollars more and had the graphics painted on.  One of them was all done in black & white and it looked great.

8Muddypaws said:
The problem is Burlington Graphics, the company that made the decals.  At some point, probably after 2007, Keystone changed suppliers.

There's a number of naked Montanas around, the new decals are not cheap.  I've talked to a couple of owners who spend a few dollars more and had the graphics painted on.  One of them was all done in black & white and it looked great.

I've got a 2011 Montana High Country and the decals are not peeling off. The problem I'm having is that a few of them are turning a rust/dark brown color. I did manage to get Keystone to send me some replacements. I haven't had a chance to put them all on.

I had the rust brown thing happen to the weight tag on our 2001 Montana.  It's probably caused by the adhesive they used.  Funny thing, after a couple of years the brown went away and the tag was legible again.

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna look into some custom decals instead of just replacing what's there.

The front decal of my Montana is really bad.  I talked with a couple of places that make decals to wrap pickups, buses and vans.  They told me that if I could get a good picture ot a decal, they could make a new one that would work.  I haven't done it yet because I can't find a Montana with a good decal to take a picture of. Still looking.

kjansen said:
The front decal of my Montana is really bad.  I talked with a couple of places that make decals to wrap pickups, buses and vans.  They told me that if I could get a good picture ot a decal, they could make a new one that would work.  I haven't done it yet because I can't find a Montana with a good decal to take a picture of. Still looking.

I guess that pretty much says it all doesn't it?

Most vinyl sign shops can fix you up, probably for less cost than Montana.  If they are multicolor on a single stripe, they may need to be printed, which will cost more.

I have a Winnebago 2007, but problem is the same.  One side of the RV looks OK but the decals on the other side are peeling off all around the edges, etc and are faded and dirty.  How do you get the old decals off, if you can find new ones to have made or...?

Potterhall said:
I have a Winnebago 2007, but problem is the same.  One side of the RV looks OK but the decals on the other side are peeling off all around the edges, etc and are faded and dirty.  How do you get the old decals off, if you can find new ones to have made or...?

You can remove them by using a heat gun or hair blow drier. Using these tools you have to be very careful so you don't overheat the RV sidewall. Also use plastic razor blades available at most auto parts stores.

Potterhall said:

We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey, with the same problem. Come to find out the problem is sunlight related. We had the decals replaced on the bad looking side and believe me, it was not worth the cost and effort. ::) Slowly but surely it started to revert to the same problem. Our problem was not only the fading but cracking on the decals as well. Ouch!!

Guess what is our next money pit going to be? -  A total full body repaint. :p Those decals are for the birds as far as we are concerned.

I contacted Keystone customer service about my decals. They asked me for photos - long view and close ups. I sent them and a coup,e days later they said they would send replacements at no cost to me. I have to pay some to put them on, just as I'm paying to have what's left of the old ones removed.

Those of you considering having new ones made, you might want to talk to Keystone first to see if they'll send you replacements.

If they are multi-colored they were probably printed.  You need to protect them by waxing frequently. 

Yes, waxing is good. I also heard about another protective coating for about $3000. That's not a real quote but from someone who should know.

Removal cost $500 with a big discount, but next time it might be more like $700 or $800. Not sure what application of the new ones will be, but if it's another $500, I might go ahead with the special coating.

My park can evict my rig if it's 12 years old, but if I keep it in good shape they probably won't. $3000 is a lot less than buying a new one...

Next step is having the whole thing buffed out to prep the surface for the new decals. No cost on that either.

The new decal's arrived late yesterday! That was only 8 days.

I'll post when I have the rest of the estimates and when I know more about the special coating.

KarenMac,
I have a 2007 Montana Mountaineer and my decals are rolling up and peeling off also.  I have called Keystone twice and emailed their customer service twice.  They quoted me $2000.00 to replace the decals for my trailer.  Who did you contact?  Do you have a name of the person you talked with?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks KimC01

KimC01 said:
KarenMac,
I have a 2007 Montana Mountaineer and my decals are rolling up and peeling off also.  I have called Keystone twice and emailed their customer service twice.  They quoted me $2000.00 to replace the decals for my trailer.  Who did you contact?  Do you have a name of the person you talked with?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks KimC01

Hi Kim,
Was the cost for applying the new decals or for supplying them? It cost me almost $2000 to have them removed and then have the new ones applied. I spoke to a woman in customer service and she had me send in photos of all four sides, including close ups.
When I got them, I had to check to make sure I got all of them. It's a good thing I did because there were several missing and it took them two or three tries to get the full set to me.
Hope that helps,
Karen

The photos show before and after of the front and the right side. I'm having trouble posting the pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 81
Graphics peeling/ fading is not unique to the Montana. I have a 2006 All American Sport fifth wheel and everyone of these that I have seen the flag and eagle graphics have shrunk and faded very badly. The graphic kits are also no longer available, although form what I have been able to find , when they were available they were over $3500.00. I had my Harley custom painted a few years ago and I asked the painter if he could do the flag and eagle graphics. He is in the process now, one side is complete as is the tailgate, not only does it look great, I was able to tweak some of the little things I didn't like about the graphics. He is only charging me $1600.00 for the entire job and is doing it in my driveway. I know I got a really good deal, but he is giving me a break because of our past business. To me, vinyl graphics just don't hold up with exposure to the sun. Paint is a much better option. I believe a lot of manufacturers are going this route as well, probably for the same reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom