2006 Sprinter RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Womack

We have a 2006 Sprinter RV. We recently have had a high!!!!! pitch screaming noise inside our camper. The only way to stop it was to pull a fuse from the fuse box.Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Someone told us that it is the carbon monoxide sensor. We don't know what this looks like or where it is located in the camper. Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks
Womack

Have no idea where yours is located but mine is near the floor under the sink cabinet and is about the height of a normal baseboard and white plastic with a little light on it and power run to it...it is a combination propane leak sensor and carbon monoxide detector.

Had to replace mine they have a 5 year life span supposedly...my new one had a warning that said it would start chirping when it needed replaced!!

BTW - The carbon monoxide part does not work well down near the floor, propane is heavier than air and will collect near the floor while carbon monoxide tends to rise...I bought another carbon monoxide detector and mounted it near the ceiling...

Good Luck,

Jim

I assume the source of the noise cannot be found easily by just listening.  Try covering one ear and placing a tube from a roll of paper towels next to the other.  By hearing the sound change as you point the tube in different directions you may be able to locate the source.

Thanks to both of you for the great information! Wipro ours is in the same location. I think you are right and it is time to replace.....and check our propane lines.
Thanks again
Carol

The detector down near the floor should be for propane (hydrocarbon gases). A carbon monoxide (CO) detector should be located higher up. A combination propane and CO is a poor idea, for the reasons Wigpro cited.

If that is what is making the noise, it should be obvious. If the sound does not seem to emanate right from the detector, then something else is the cause.

Do you have any idea what is on the circuit
for the fuse you pulled?

Also the various monitors (gas, carbon monoxide)
have a limited lifespan, usually 5 years.

These detectors are on fuses? if so. What happens when the fuse go's out? I was under the impression that these were on battery power and when the battery would get low you would begin to hear a "cherp" as an indication of the low battery. 

If it's on a fuse. I would assume there would also be an audible alarm signifying that there is a problem with the detector. I wouldn't think that you would be able to silence a detector by just pulling a fuse or tripping a breaker for that matter.

My recent renovation of my 2000 Georgie Boy motorhome included replacing the various alarms.  Neither the old propane alarm I removed nor the new one i installed had internal batteries.  Both were powered by 12v from the motorhome. .... Unlike hard wired smoke alarms that might be rendered inoperative by the same fire they were intended to sense, propane and carbon monoxide alarms are less susceptible to that problem.

Thank you for your reply..We found out and replaced our propane sensor! That fixed this problem..

Back
Top Bottom