EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Replace dinette with desk - Amish company experience?  (Read 7048 times)

Notayurt

• ---
    • Adventures in Notayurt
Replace dinette with desk - Amish company experience?
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »
There's just two of us rolling around in our Class A, so a bed-convertible dinette isn't a must have for us. We are thinking of replacing the dinette with a desk unit. We stumbled across a website focalwood.com that has a fantastic looking desk replacement. I've attached a picture of the desk we would love to have. So, the question is: Has anyone done business with this company? It's Sunday, so we can't reach them by phone today--so I thought I'd throw this out to the massive knowledge bank of RVers that visits this forum! Any experience with them? They are located in Indiana. Thanks in advance.
Two retirees, now well into this RV stuff,
A 1998 Pace Arrow Vision,
A 2008 Honda CR-V toad,
And two cats, who seem to enjoy being on the road.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: Replace dinette with desk - Amish company experience?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »
Carlyle remodeled the dash board in our motorhome, pictures are elsewhere in this board, I believe.  He does excellent work and we can recommend him highly.  You won't reach him directly by phone, just leave a message and a call back number, he'll call you.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

jsetti

• ---
  • Tranquility On the Move IV
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:10:49 AM »
We are replacing our booth dinette and our Jcouch with a new dinette (table and chairs) and a desk.  We found one we liked at the Florida RV Show from Bradd and Hall in Elkhart, IN (www.braddandhall.com).  It appears to be the same or very similar to the picture you provided.  The price on their website is for the product shown with installation extra at a per hour rate.  They will also customize the cabinet to fit your space.  Bradd and Hall said they needed a five week lead time.  You can also have it shipped to install yourself.  They will custom match the color to your other cabinets.

We also talked with Master Tech RV, also from Elkhart, IN (www.mastertechrv.com) at the FMCA rally last week.  We showed them the Bradd and Hall pictures and we are awaiting their quote. 

Either company will customize the furniture for you.

So many options!!

Jean Corsetti
Full-Timer with DH Steve and
Fur Babies Annie & Max
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:10:12 AM »
When we had our dash remade by Carlyle (Focal Wood Products), Bradd and Hall was reselling his products and they referred us to him for our custom work.
2007 GMC Canyon

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »
I also used Focal Wood Products.
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

teachers pet

• ---
    • Skool'z Out Forever
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 03:51:53 PM »
We also had Focal Wood Products do a custom file cabinet for us.  Carlisle is an excellent person to deal with.  Brad and Hall seemed to job all their work out when we went to them. Excellent workmanship (Amish at that time) for sure but why not cut out the middleman. Been to Mastertech for one job..never again.
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH, 350 Cat
2004 R-Vision 213 B+ Chevrolet 3500
2003 Sport Trac 4x4 automatic as a toad for the Phaeton
2011 Mazda Miata 6 speed planned toad for B+
Wife, Dale with Scottie girls, Duchess and Butterscotch on board

jsetti

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 05:27:16 AM »
We're scheduled to go to Focal mid-April to have our dinette and j-couch replaced with the dining table, buffet and desk.  Price was better than any other quotes I got (4) and I have only seen one negative report out of about 15.  Will let you know how it goes.
Jean Corsetti
Fur Babies Annie & Max

jsetti

• ---
Re: Replace dinette with desk - Amish company experience? Update
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 02:08:19 PM »
As mentioned above, we were replacing our bench seat dinette and J-couch.  We got to Focal Wood Products around the middle of April.  Carlyle took all the measurements and built our new dinette/desk unit while we were at the Holiday Rambler 419 Maintenance Session in Goshen.  After the session we went back to Focal Wood and Carlyle installed everything.  He also made the electrical plugs fit into the new furniture.  He did a wonderful job and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

I tried to attached photos but keep getting an error message that the file is too large.
Jean Corsetti
Fur Babies Annie & Max

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »
I tried to attached photos but keep getting an error message that the file is too large.

Here's an article in the forum library on resizing images.
2007 GMC Canyon

jsetti

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 08:56:09 AM »
Here's an article in the forum library on resizing images.

Thanks Ned.  Here are the resized photos.
Jean Corsetti
Fur Babies Annie & Max

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
I may actually want a booth dinette!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 09:14:03 AM »
Contrary to what seems the popular way to go, we actually prefer the booth dinette. Shopping for 35-40 rig and having a LOT of trouble finding those with booth dinette. It has crossed my mind to retrofit. Thoughts anyone? Any idea as to cost? Thx
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »
our MH came without a booth or a sofa, I too like the dining booth that converts to sleeping for 2 of our grandchildren. Being a ex cabinet maker by trade I made our booth. We bought good commercial grade foam for the cushions, then purchased some quality fabric which my wife was going to sew the covers for the cushions but decided the fabric was to heavy for her sewing machine. We ended up having an upholstery  shop sew them and she did a perfect job. Her labor was 280.00, fabric was 150.00, foam cushion was 300.00, wood and finish for the booth was around 250.00. So nearly 1000.00 to do it myself which is pretty costly, but it's nice and the way we wanted it with the colors.
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' project

Deano2002

• ---
Re: I may actually want a booth dinette!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »
Contrary to what seems the popular way to go, we actually prefer the booth dinette. Shopping for 35-40 rig and having a LOT of trouble finding those with booth dinette. It has crossed my mind to retrofit. Thoughts anyone? Any idea as to cost? Thx
any good cabinet maker can make you what you want, and an upholstery shop can do the rest. Doesn't have to be Coach specific. Many times I have thought about getting back into woodworking business just for MH's 

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 09:03:03 PM »
Carlyle of Focal Wood Products incorporated our dining table into a computer desk, file cabinet etc
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

shorts

• ---
  • Ready to explore the USA!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
Has anyone used Focal Wood Products lately? We contacted him a few months ago for a quote on a desk/table build. He said he would get back with us. We heard nothing further and have left several messages. He doesn't return our calls. According to the older posts in the thread, the other companies mentioned just serve as a middle man for Focal Wood. Can anyone recommend someone else?

Thanks,
Vicki
Vicki and Mark Shorter
2015 Forrest River Blue Ridge RS3600 5er
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4wd
On the road fulltime!

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
There's just two of us rolling around in our Class A, so a bed-convertible dinette isn't a must have for us. We are thinking of replacing the dinette with a desk unit. We stumbled across a website focalwood.com that has a fantastic looking desk replacement. I've attached a picture of the desk we would love to have. So, the question is: Has anyone done business with this company? It's Sunday, so we can't reach them by phone today--so I thought I'd throw this out to the massive knowledge bank of RVers that visits this forum! Any experience with them? They are located in Indiana. Thanks in advance.
can I ask what they are asking for that  desk?

shorts

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »
I went to the Brad and Hall website mentioned in earlier posts and they had the pictured dinette/computer desk without the table for $1,095. Certain wood colors were extra as well as shipping. The design is such that you could use your own table with the desk or if you don't have one I think they also sell them. According to the website, delivery is 3-4 weeks. I asked them to send me a couple of wood stain samples so I can match my table and cabinets. They suggest that and don't charge for it. They sent it out that same day. Great response time!  As Focal Wood Products won't return our calls, we are considering ordering from Brad and Hall.

Vicki
Vicki and Mark Shorter
On the road fulltime!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 04:55:58 PM »
Any cabinet maker shop could build a desk to order, anywhere from basic to elegant. Your budget is the only limit.  I do woodworking as a hobby and designed and built my own RV computer desk. Had a shop fabricate the corian top and I made the rest. The corian desktop was inexpensive because they had a remnant from a another job that matched well enough.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
I went to the Brad and Hall website mentioned in earlier posts and they had the pictured dinette/computer desk without the table for $1,095. Certain wood colors were extra as well as shipping. The design is such that you could use your own table with the desk or if you don't have one I think they also sell them. According to the website, delivery is 3-4 weeks. I asked them to send me a couple of wood stain samples so I can match my table and cabinets. They suggest that and don't charge for it. They sent it out that same day. Great response time!  As Focal Wood Products won't return our calls, we are considering ordering from Brad and Hall.

Vicki
I would check with local cabinet shops for prices, if you were close I could build you that. Definitely thinking of setting up shop again if my job keeps going south. Just got cut to half of our salary because lack of business,  thankful my wife and I still have decent medical though

dabrooks

• ---
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 06:18:49 AM »

Just wondered if you got any further info from either source.

Vicki
Dave Brooks
2013 Tiffin 35 QBA
Ford f-53
Maryland

shorts

• ---
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 11:11:26 AM »
Never did get a response from Focal Wood Products but Brad and Hall sent out the samples the same day I emailed them. Our rig has been in the shop getting satellite dish installed while we are in Florida for a couple weeks so I haven't been able to check the color yet to get back with them. But it seems they will be good to deal with.

Vicki
Vicki and Mark Shorter
On the road fulltime!

dabrooks

• ---
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 06:00:24 PM »
Thank you for the update. I like the look of what you are looking at and I am very interested.
Dave Brooks
2013 Tiffin 35 QBA
Ford f-53
Maryland

dabrooks

• ---
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 06:46:44 AM »
Never did get a response from Focal Wood Products but Brad and Hall sent out the samples the same day I emailed them. Our rig has been in the shop getting satellite dish installed while we are in Florida for a couple weeks so I haven't been able to check the color yet to get back with them. But it seems they will be good to deal with.

Vicki
Did you ever get your dinette installed?
Dave Brooks
2013 Tiffin 35 QBA
Ford f-53
Maryland

shorts

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »
Not yet, should be ready in a week or two but our RV is in the shop for the next 3-4 weeks waiting on Forrest River to custom make a replacement water tank. (long story  :( ) So even when we get the desk it will be a little while before we can install and post pics.

Vicki
Vicki and Mark Shorter
On the road fulltime!

dabrooks

• ---
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 03:54:10 PM »
Thanks for the update.
Dave Brooks
2013 Tiffin 35 QBA
Ford f-53
Maryland

dabrooks

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 06:16:45 PM »
Just curious if you did anything with your dinette?
Dave Brooks
2013 Tiffin 35 QBA
Ford f-53
Maryland

shorts

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 09:09:19 AM »
We have the free standing table and chairs so are using them with the desk. The table will slide under the desk and it will look just like the picture. As long as we measured correctly and they built to the correct specs. When set up we will only be able to use 2 of the dinette chairs, but that's all we were using anyway. We have the other 2 stored. If we need them, we can pull the table out and use all 4 chairs. We sent them a cabinet door so they matched the wood stain perfectly to our unit.

We've had the desk for awhile now but still waiting for our RV to be done. Supposed to get it in the next day or two. I will post pics when we get the desk in.

Vicki
Vicki and Mark Shorter
On the road fulltime!

dabrooks

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »
Thanks can't wait to see the pictures.
Dave Brooks
2013 Tiffin 35 QBA
Ford f-53
Maryland

shorts

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 12:09:24 PM »
Well we FINALLY got our RV back from the repair shop so we got to install the desk.  I have attached before and after pictures below. They matched all of the woodwork and cabinets in our RV perfectly, however as you can tell from the picture below, our table is a slightly different shade from all the rest of our woodwork. Oh well, we are happy with how it turned out and can't wait to get everything moved in the RV in a month or so and get on the road!  ;D

Vicki

Vicki and Mark Shorter
On the road fulltime!

ramblinbob

• ---
    • Off The Wall & On The Road
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »
Are you anywhere near Eastern Pa. I'm satisfied with my desk that replaced two chairs. Owner of the company has room to park RV's and a pretty good selection in Orwigsburg, PA. They come unstained and if you want to do it yourself it would be a quick purchase and go. Getting it stained takes some time.&nbsp;<div><br><a href="https://www.facebook.com/Sculps-Hill-Good-Furniture-310585775652979/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/Sculps-Hill-Good-Furniture-310585775652979/</a><br><br>My desk
2005 Born Free 24RB aka Momma C'
2010 Honda Element aka Ella B'

dabrooks

• ---
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2016, 08:35:59 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. That is very nice and adds usable storage. It looks much better than just the table sitting there.

Ramblinbob, thanks for the information and the link.
Dave Brooks
2013 Tiffin 35 QBA
Ford f-53
Maryland

GA_Boy

• ---
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 05:29:36 PM »
Notayurt-------U iz brillant ;) -----------Your idea has probably saved Sweetie and me a lot of GRIEF, thanks big time.   See Pic for a dinette that is not suitable for us.
I can have a 1/2 desk made and still have room for a LIFT chair for my Wife in the same area.
Marvin
(http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/GA_Boy/Coachman/elqb9v5v_zpst0ktzfwp.png)

Hosted by Over The Network